What's new

Big Dumb Loads

1661511273534.png
That's an every Sunday occurrence heading back across the border.

You guys ever watched the process of getting that into Mexico? It takes them hours to inventory and declare all that.

Move it back a foot and put lights on the back and it would probably look better, a little more weight on the trailer axles and less on the truck, not sure on overall length, might still be too long.

Aaron Z
You probably have a point. I know certain states have trailer length limits when it is pulled behind a "truck" and the power unit must be titled as a tractor to utilize the longer trailers.

You probably have a point. I know certain states have trailer length limits when it is pulled behind a "truck" and the power unit must be titled as a tractor to utilize the longer trailers.
Not sure what state that is but I think some states limit overhang past the rear axle of the trailer and most (if not all) states want lights and/or flags past 3' of overhang.
No reason not to do everything you can to look legit when you look like you are pushing the boundaries of what's legal/safe like that.
Someone once said to only break one law at a time, I would amend that to say to do your best to look like you're only breaking one law at a time (or go all out South American caravan, ignore all of them and hope that nobody has time to write all the tickets that you are "eligible" for)...

Aaron Z

Not sure what state that is but I think some states limit overhang past the rear axle of the trailer and most (if not all) states want lights and/or flags past 3' of overhang.
No reason not to do everything you can to look legit when you look like you are pushing the boundaries of what's legal/safe like that.
Someone once said to only break one law at a time, I would amend that to say to do your best to look like you're only breaking one law at a time (or go all out South American caravan, ignore all of them and hope that nobody has time to write all the tickets that you are "eligible" for)...

Aaron Z
This is some wisdom right here folks.

Or just cage the brakes and use that RV fifth wheel hitch for good instead of evil. :flipoff2:

I've thought about getting one of them lever operated trailer brake valve thingies that all the o/o trucks got
plumb it up to some onboard air and you'd have all the shit you'd need for dragging around an air trailer with a normal juice brake truck

Or just cage the brakes and use that RV fifth wheel hitch for good instead of evil. :flipoff2:

I've thought about getting one of them lever operated trailer brake valve thingies that all the o/o trucks got
plumb it up to some onboard air and you'd have all the shit you'd need for dragging around an air trailer with a normal juice brake truck
There was some Aussie ****s making a hydraulically actuated air brake controller. I can't find it now but I bet you could cobble something like that if you wanted. I remember thinking about it for a long time and deciding the hard part was finding a way to actuate the air without spending a ton of hydraulic volume and getting a mushing pedal as a result.

There was some Aussie ****s making a hydraulically actuated air brake controller. I can't find it now but I bet you could cobble something like that if you wanted. I remember thinking about it for a long time and deciding the hard part was finding a way to actuate the air without spending a ton of hydraulic volume and getting a mushing pedal as a result.
yeah, you could do a pressure sensor in the hydraulic loop and some computer magic to turn that into variable air pressure
too much work

Kinda like really old hydraulic trailer brakes my grandpa had figured out, way back when they only had single circuit master cylinders so safety was #1 for sure
you'd have basically a clutch slave cylinder at your back bumper and you'd stick the trailer's master cylinder against it
when you didn't have the trailer hooked up the slave cylinder would just be bottomed out against a real stout stop rather than acting against another hydraulic cylinder
Said it worked real good.

You could probably mount some sort of solenoid or valve from the pedal to firewall to actual text it in parallel with the hydraulic service brake.

Reactions: DMG
Deuce and a halfs have the capability I believe. They have hydraulic brakes for the truck but there is a glad hand out back for the air brakes on a trailer. The power assist on the deuce is from pressure from the air compressor. There is no separate control for the air out to the Glad hand. I've wondered if parts from a deuce could be used to achieve this.

Top Back Refresh