What's new
Can't help with the disc brake conversion but the GMT800 14B's are getting pretty common and cheap, stock disc with good parking brake and closer match to front axle width.
Congrats on getting it fired up. My laptop speakers are busted so couldn't listen to clip lol

Well it's been like two months. I've done quite a bit of piddly things over that period of time, but I've basically been working toward getting the engine fired up and the cam broken in. Front accessory drive is figured out and installed, new radiator is installed, new trans cooler and lines are installed, and everything's filled up with fluids.
Started messing around with the wiring, and to be honest it's not all that bad. Having a hard time deciding what needs to go and what needs to stay in some instances, but as I get the EFI kit in and start hooking that up, I think a bunch of those questions will be answered.

Anyway, I got the cam broken in with no flat lobes! I'm pretty happy with the sound. Sounds like an average turdly big block running through glasspacks :smokin:
IMG_0258.jpg
IMG_0259.jpg

I made sure to wish my neighbors a very happy 4th of july at 9:30 this morning :usa::flipoff2:
Sounds crispy.

Did you end up going with that thumper cam deal?

Did you end up going with that thumper cam deal?
I saw that while driving the first time and kept forgetting to come back to it, sorry.

I ended up with a Howards Rattler in it. CL128001-09. .545/.553 lift, 227/235 @ .050, 109* LSA.
It's come up in price over the last few months but at the time it was $260 when everyone else was like $310.
My cam software estimations say it should put torque peak at 3000 and hp peak at 5000. Just moved the curves up a wee bit compared to the thumper, and should make a bit more top end for those wide open sand pulls on 39s :grinpimp:

for those wide open sand pulls on 39s :grinpimp:
Speaking of that, I didn't update this thread on the tire plans for this thing. I found a size that I really liked the idea of on the net a pretty long time ago and priced them out. Would've been about $3500 on the cheap end, and they're only getting more expensive over time, so I figured I would have to wait till later to look into that. However, I found a deal on facebook that I just couldn't bring myself to pass up, as the guy happened to be passing through ABQ with them to sell them to me. Score!

Screenshot_20230601-071350_Facebook.jpg
20230610_114056(1).jpg
Fun fact: You can fit 4 39.5x18-16.5 boggers in the back of a bronco with no backseat if you lean them over to fit them under the top on the way in :flipoff2:

Also mounted them on the toyota because it's the only 6 bolt rig I have with enough clearance to fit them :grinpimp:
20230610_135431(1).jpg

The surplus MT OZs on the chevy right now came on 12 bolt HMMWV wheels, so I'm gonna recenter those and be running some giant boggers on double beadlocks. Airing these down to like 3 psi should be absolutely crazy good in the sand. Only time will tell though! My only sort of concern there is the massive 10" of pinch with that wheel and tire setup, so might end up doing some fab work to widen the wheels as well.

Another weekend of good progress! I've been putting off measuring for drive shafts until I had the front end dialed in the way I liked it. So I tackled that first thing.

The nose of the truck is sitting about 1-2" higher than the back, so my first thought was to try removing a leaf or two to let it back down level. If I was going to stay with 37s, that would have worked out swimmingly, but after pushing one of the 39s up next to it with a fender set in place, I decided that putting the leaves I had just removed back in and pushing the axle forward an inch was the best of all possibilities to make the most clearance. With that done, I can final tighten all the bolts in the front suspension, took my drive shaft measurements and got those dropped off at a local shop today for adjusting. I think the total length change going from a TH350 to the 4l80 was something like 6.5".
20230729_165416.jpg
20230729_171530.jpg

1inch forward made stupid easy with the B52 kit. Digging this setup.

While it was on a stable work surface, I also went ahead and tackled the Lugnut4x4 disc brake kit. Turned out I had a trashed wheel seal on the driver side so one of my drums was absolutely disgusting. Happy to have a way lighter and easier to service brake setup on it, and a leak fixed. :grinpimp:
20230729_194405.jpg
20230731_194607.jpg
20230731_194629.jpg

Top Back Refresh