What's new

Big Amtrak crash in MT

Ties on the side look new, and the way they're laid out makes me think they had some rotten/broken ties scheduled to be replaced along that stretch of track.
Yup, I'm no train guy but I've burned several hundred thousand miles driving next to the rails watching how they repair and rebuild the tracks and you're right. They were due for new ties and likely some new rail.

It's interesting to see them weld new rail together. There is a jig that goes around the joint and they weld it with what amounts to tannerite in a precise volume to do the job.

That can’t be. They have been mouthing off for weeks they are full. A friends broth in law (doctor) Told me they were out of vents. I haven’t seen anything on Idaho Falls having issues.

Now wait a min, when all this rona stuff started and they "ran out of vents". Didnt all kinds of places like ford and chevy and who knows other factories switch over and make ventilation equipment to help supply them?? Where are all the extra vents?

Yup, I'm no train guy but I've burned several hundred thousand miles driving next to the rails watching how they repair and rebuild the tracks and you're right. They were due for new ties and likely some new rail.

It's interesting to see them weld new rail together. There is a jig that goes around the joint and they weld it with what amounts to tannerite in a precise volume to do the job.

Amtrak-derail-7.jpg

Pull up the location on a satellite map view and it shows a siding and the main line. I'd bet money the switch wasn't lined properly, and sent the whole works off the rails, literally.

I'm a pipe fitter
The Union pushed really really really hard for everyone to vote Biden, like really hard

first day in he kills all the pipe line projects
I went into the hall right after that, evidently bringing that particular subject up wasn't a popular choice :laughing:

but, we got no mean tweets so everyone wins
I’m glad you realize the unions suck commie cawk!!!!
Do me a favor and tell your commie union co-workers to, “fuck off” for me, ok!!!!

I’m glad you realize the unions suck commie cawk!!!!
Do me a favor and tell your commie union co-workers to, “fuck off” for me, ok!!!!
I am actually a outcast at my hall
I am self employed, and always get in trouble for never working their Union gigs, usually I go in once a year to pay dues

they are my plan B in life

“Now wait a min, when all this rona stuff started and they "ran out of vents". Didnt all kinds of places like ford and chevy and who knows other factories switch over and make ventilation equipment to help supply them?? Where are all the extra vents?”

I asked the same question to several people and the don’t know. My guess they were put in the trash.

“Now wait a min, when all this rona stuff started and they "ran out of vents". Didnt all kinds of places like ford and chevy and who knows other factories switch over and make ventilation equipment to help supply them?? Where are all the extra vents?”

I asked the same question to several people and the don’t know. My guess they were put in the trash.
All contracts were canceled, Democrats said Trump paid too much for them and they were not needed anymore.

Amtrak-derail-7.jpg

Pull up the location on a satellite map view and it shows a siding and the main line. I'd bet money the switch wasn't lined properly, and sent the whole works off the rails, literally.
You think after 200 years we would have that shit figured out. Maybe use computers sensors, and communication :idea:

The running joke from my area is Amtrak = Super collider , one can only imagine why.
A family friend is a conductor in the bayarea of ca. He hit people and cars all the fucking time. 1 trip he hit 2! One when they were leaving and one when they got to the destination.

He got told "no you can not put stickers on the cab for your hits"

A family friend is a conductor in the bayarea of ca. He hit people and cars all the fucking time. 1 trip he hit 2! One when they were leaving and one when they got to the destination.

how the heck does that happen?

couple months ago we drove by two cars that were smashed by an amtrack, no idea how the fuck that happened, maybe stopped at tracks? ran out of gas? another time someone got ran over, not sure if suicide drugs or Artifan :flipoff2:

Aren’t MT hospitals already spilling out into the parking lots with all the unvaccinated covid patients and have no room for regular patients?…

Ours is boring as usual.

If there are any doctors still using ventilators for covid they're idiots after everything that's been learned.

You think after 200 years we would have that shit figured out. Maybe use computers sensors, and communication :idea:
About 4 years ago Amtrak derailed going over an I-5 overpass, speeding almost 90 mph in a 35 mph zone!!! Arguments started immediately about computer track control and why it wasn’t installed in this area that was just redone (the crash was the inaugural run and first with passengers)!!!
The conductors had no Fkn clue…. No brakes applied before the crash!!!
Is computer driving making things better, or worse????

how the heck does that happen?

Earbuds!!!!!

Earbuds or a case of the suicides!!!!

About 4 years ago Amtrak derailed going over an I-5 overpass, speeding almost 90 mph in a 35 mph zone!!! Arguments started immediately about computer track control and why it wasn’t installed in this area that was just redone (the crash was the inaugural run and first with passengers)!!!
Better until a hacker locks you out and crashes it for something to do. The I5 amtrak crash should have been a big fuck deal prosecuting those at fault to send a fucking message. But the only ones more powerful than the government is the railroad unions. They are pretty much untouchable.

ETA : If anyone thinks the powerful BNSF type outfits are going to let a precedent be set over prosecution of a conductor or employee that fucked up royaly even for the government run passenger services your disillusioned.

24 hours before that, I was driving under that spot with the trail traveling overhead
My daughter said that she always felt like the train was going to fall on us

woke up to next morning with a pile of train in that exact spot :eek:

ETA : If anyone thinks the powerful BNSF type outfits are going to let a precedent be set over prosecution of a conductor or employee that fucked up royaly even for the government run passenger services your disillusioned.

The railroads are fully untouchable. We've had miles of fires started next to tracks with no outside human access that you could follow all the way to the local rail yard where they were replacing the undercarriage of a rail car and the old one is sitting there with a D shaped wheel and they will flat tell you they don't know what you're talking about, they didn't start any fires. They'll NEVER EVER admit fault for anything.

The railroads are fully untouchable. We've had miles of fires started next to tracks with no outside human access that you could follow all the way to the local rail yard where they were replacing the undercarriage of a rail car and the old one is sitting there with a D shaped wheel and they will flat tell you they don't know what you're talking about, they didn't start any fires. They'll NEVER EVER admit fault for anything.
I think that part is just more of a Union thing
everything that happens isn't their (or your) fault

Earbuds!!!!!

Earbuds or a case of the suicides!!!!
Suicides for sure, pure stupidity on the rest. Stop on the track for an intersection, cutting through the gates, trying to beat it across the tracks to make the train at the platform, cutting across and catching the opposite train they never saw, ear buds and just looking at their feet.

They used to play dont be a moron commercials on the radio and would say something like +100,000 incedents a year.

Top Back Refresh