What's new

Biden picks Buttplug . . .

Funny you should mention Italy. . . . I thought they were going a little overboard until the train rolled up. It was the shittiest looking thing in the Zurich train station. Dirty, graffiti everywhere, bunch of broken crap on it, and the inside wasn't much better. We left late and got to our destination even later. A few weeks after we got back, I saw on the world news that the same train had actually caught fire. . . .

Do the shitters on Italian trains still just discharge straight onto the tracks? :barf:

SF is fine, San Jose is fine, Sacramento is fine(but slightly less convenient), San Diego is great(but I might just have a rosey feeling about San Diego in general because warm weather and tacos).

so your gripe is ONE city, but your original post said "cities need to figure out mass transit that doesn't suck so I don't have to ride with the poor unwashed masses."

next time don't be so fucking unclear about your classist statements.

:flipoff2:

so your gripe is ONE city, but your original post said "cities need to figure out mass transit that doesn't suck so I don't have to ride with the poor unwashed masses."

next time don't be so fucking unclear about your classist statements.

:flipoff2:

No, my gripe is any major city that doesn't have clean, frequent, on time mass transit, but does have tremendous sprawl. LA is the best example and the Bay Area to LA high speed rail is the one solution trotted out by politicians here in California.

Going somewhere like Switzerland really highlights how much the US is currently lacking in the mass transit department. If we ran things in a similar fashion, I would be able to get some sort of mass transit from here in Monterey to the Bay area without having to do rocket science level math to figure out all the connections, times and different modes of transport it would take to get there. I'd just hop on a train here that showed up at the same time every day and said "San Francisco" as the end stop. As it is now, if you were to take some big fancy long distance train to San Francisco, you would need a car to get to Monterey. If I were to take a long distance train to LA, I would have a much harder time moving around the city and its surrounding area compared to a similar setup with a car.

Places that have good public transportation don't have that issue.

what?

I've traveled to many cities and simply bought a weekend bus pass and used mass transit.

even chicago.

you're stereotyping of people using mass transit is bullshit.

Pre covid anyone not taking public transit around chicago or new York was a masochist that hated themselves and their wallet. Fuck driving and parking in both those places.

Going somewhere like Switzerland really highlights how much the US is currently lacking in the mass transit department.

Switzerland also highlights how having pistols and assault rifles in the majority of a country's homes does not lead to gun crimes (compared to gun-free Chitcago).

Oh, and the trains are cool, too. Unfucking gun laws is relatively cheap - let's start there :flipoff2:

EDIT: not bullshitting you, see the linkslide for info -

https://www.businessinsider.com/swit...to-use-a-gun-3

Last edited:
A lot of these European countries that have awesome mass transit are small in size with large populations so it is cheaper and easier to have good mass transit. The US on the other hand has states that are almost as big as Europe with a very small population, much harder to have good mass transit here.

A lot of these European countries that have awesome mass transit are small in size with large populations so it is cheaper and easier to have good mass transit. The US on the other hand has states that are almost as big as Europe with a very small population, much harder to have good mass transit here.

Agree. Although comparing US to Euro mass transit is a bit apples/oranges. Euro chose to tax the crap outta fuel and car purchases decades ago, people migrated to using mass transit, enough people regularly riding it to fund a nice system. The US has focused on keeping gas prices low, so driving is still encouraged and mass transit ridership is low. Population density is the driving factor on mass transit success. We have it in the big urban areas, not so much elsewhere.

Denver spend a TON of money on fasttracks a few years ago and constantly deals with low ridership. Well it is a single line that follows a major highway. Unless you live right near the highway (who wants that?) it isnt convenient. And it isnt well tied into the other transit options of trains and busses. Almost none of the systems properly connect. Not that big of a surprise no one rides it. And I am a guy that grew up just outside Boston and used the T to get everywhere back then.

SF is fine, San Jose is fine, Sacramento is fine(but slightly less convenient), San Diego is great(but I might just have a rosey feeling about San Diego in general because warm weather and tacos).

I've lived in and around San Diego since 1975. The mass transit is good for some trips and sux ass for others. Where we live now it's worthless as there's on bus in the morning and one at night.
When we lived at our previous house my drive to work was 30-35 minutes. If I took mass transit it was 2 1/2 hours.

I've lived in and around San Diego since 1975. The mass transit is good for some trips and sux ass for others. Where we live now it's worthless as there's on bus in the morning and one at night.
When we lived at our previous house my drive to work was 30-35 minutes. If I took mass transit it was 2 1/2 hours.

Sounds about right. Most of my mass transit deals in SD have been right down town on the trolly.

Sounds about right. Most of my mass transit deals in SD have been right down town on the trolly.

Before I got married I lived in Mission Valley and if I wanted to go to Old Town, Little Italy, or downtown I just hopped the trolley, but anywhere else took too long.

No, my gripe is any major city that doesn't have clean, frequent, on time mass transit, but does have tremendous sprawl. LA is the best example and the Bay Area to LA high speed rail is the one solution trotted out by politicians here in California.

Going somewhere like Switzerland really highlights how much the US is currently lacking in the mass transit department. If we ran things in a similar fashion, I would be able to get some sort of mass transit from here in Monterey to the Bay area without having to do rocket science level math to figure out all the connections, times and different modes of transport it would take to get there. I'd just hop on a train here that showed up at the same time every day and said "San Francisco" as the end stop. As it is now, if you were to take some big fancy long distance train to San Francisco, you would need a car to get to Monterey. If I were to take a long distance train to LA, I would have a much harder time moving around the city and its surrounding area compared to a similar setup with a car.

Places that have good public transportation don't have that issue.

My sister and BIL live in Santa Monica and are train crazy, and I think it comes from trips to Europe, and living in SoCal for 40 years and dealing with traffic. They currently have 6 light rail branches for getting around Los Angeles proper and are planning on expanding it to 28 by the 2028 Olympics. It's horrifically expensive, with land and construction costs, and we all know there will be delays, and the state going bankrupt, etc. No thanks.

la20fwy20full2028129-3-1920x1280.jpg

no opinions on his role other than he's being prepped for bigger office.

frustrating part is the media congratulating him for being the first openly gay person appointed to a cabinet position... when 45 did that 11 months ago.

My sister and BIL live in Santa Monica and are train crazy, and I think it comes from trips to Europe, and living in SoCal for 40 years and dealing with traffic. They currently have 6 light rail branches for getting around Los Angeles proper and are planning on expanding it to 28 by the 2028 Olympics. It's horrifically expensive, with land and construction costs, and we all know there will be delays, and the state going bankrupt, etc. No thanks.

But at least California has high-speed rail :bounce2: . . .

. . . well, almost . . .

. . . from a suburb of Fresno to a suburb of Bakersfield :rolleyes:

. . . well, almost . . .

- side of pork, anyone? :laughing: . . . :frown:

frustrating part is the media congratulating him for being the first openly gay person appointed to a cabinet position... when 45 did that 11 months ago.

Doesn't fit the narrative - "orange man homophobe" :rolleyes:

they always preface that with 'senate confirmed"

Who the fuck cares if he's gay anyway. He's either qualified or he's not.

Tired of people making a big deal out of someone being the "first" something or another because they're not white or straight. I don't give a shit if he's a Scotch-Korean tranny covered in tattoos and piercings. I care whether or not the person is qualified for the office they're in.

Tired of people making a big deal out of someone being the "first" something or another because they're not white or straight. I don't give a shit if he's a Scotch-Korean tranny covered in tattoos and piercings. I care whether or not the person is qualified for the office they're in.
but the potential for virtue signalling!

That reminds me... To all you assholes out there, the best troll play in the book is to be overly accepting and placating.
Really makes it seem like you're being treated like a child, retard or leper, but done right there's no politically correct recourse.
Pisses me off every time, even when its done unintentionally, especially when its done unintentionally.

Arguably there's at least 50 more highly qualified people already doing that job at a state level, so.....:rolleyes:

That would be sick. Motorhome with crawler on trailer headed to moab via train. I'm 100% in. All we had to do was appoint a gay dude to do that?

I visited a buddy in Switzerland a few years back. Their train system (both local and long distance) was amazing. Everything was clean, in good repair, on time, and everywhere. My buddy didn't even own a car, he picked us up from the airport in a rental because he was worried us americans wouldn't like taking the train from the airport. We went mountain biking all over the country, and used rail transportation the whole time. It's awesome when you can crack a beer and let someone else get you there just as fast as driving.

IMO the major reason nobody has used trains in the US is that most of our cities aren’t “walkable”, so you’re SOL when you get there unless you were going to visit your girlfriend, parents, or somebody else who would drive you around the whole time.

Now with Uber, Lyft, the Zip Car bullshit, you can actually get around once you’re there. On recent vacations with family to larger cities we have just left cars parked at the house and Ubered the whole time. You can drink, don’t have to worry about parking, navigating an unfamiliar place, etc.

Couple all that with the new “work remotely, save us $ on office space” model, I can see a much larger demand for trains. We are 8 hours from the start of the Keys, which makes even a 3-4 day weekend not worth it. If you could hop on the train at 8 am on a Friday, work all day via the internet, get there in time for happy hour Friday night, spend all day Saturday and Sunday fishing, wake up Monday morning still in Key West, hop on the train and start answering emails while you ride home, it would kick ass.

Couple all that with the new “work remotely, save us $ on office space” model, I can see a much larger demand for trains.
eh, I really doubt that the cities will get any less spread out because people are working remotely, if anything it'll just accelerate the sprawl

[486 said:
;n236597]
eh, I really doubt that the cities will get any less spread out because people are working remotely, if anything it'll just accelerate the sprawl

That wasn’t my point, it was that you can be on a train “working” to and from your weekend vacation on Monday and Friday. Not really possible with air travel.

Agreed. I supported some of what he as saying. He had a huge independent and moderate republican following before Biden was picked. I believe if he didn't kiss another man on stage that he would be our rightful president now. People were not ready for that.

Top Back Refresh