What's new

BFG Baja vs Goodyear MT

Mikel

Member Number
Loc
Conn
Looking to get some surplus HMMWV tires... Do the newer BFG Baja T/A offer any advantages over the old Goodyear MTs? The searches I've been done tell me that they are either much better, or no improvement at all.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Manufactured date would be important to me. Didn't they stop making the Mt quite a while ago?

This, the date is more important than the brand. It also depends on where they were stored. I ran a brand new set of 46" Goodyear MVT's that were too old and they cracked and fell apart within and hour. Either cooked in the sun or a hot warehouse.
Surplus is only good if you they are newer and you dont flex them. So pavement and aired up high which will ride like rocks.

The old Goodyear radials with the squarish tread blocks are hands down the worst tires I’ve ever run off-road. Worse than ancient military NDTs, worse than the bias ply Goodyear humvee tires. The bias plys flexed nicely off road once I grooved them with a chainsaw.
Good tires are expensive.
Cheap tires that suck are frustrating.
I’ve never run the Goodyear MTR or the BFs from the humvees

Both the BFG Baja and the Goodyear MTR do better offroad and in the wet than the old goodyear MT but both also seem to wear quicker. It really depends what your looking to get out of them but I will say a bit of siping helps both the Baja and MT for wet weather (tiny little sipes not grooved) but the MTR is about best in snow and wet pavement. Personally I have ran them all and for the price I got them for I was happy with each, the MT were cheapest then BFG then MTR.

The bias plys flexed nicely off road once I grooved them with a chainsaw.

why would you try and groove them with a chainsaw?
I've never heard of someone doing that before with something other than a hand tool.. or at least I can't recall anyone using a chainsaw at this moment..

you have video of this?

this video is all I could find..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PfqPgMGXvk
I don't know about this, yet it is sorta on topic??

why would you try and groove them with a chainsaw?
I've never heard of someone doing that before with something other than a hand tool.. or at least I can't recall anyone using a chainsaw at this moment..

you have video of this?

this video is all I could find..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PfqPgMGXvk
I don't know about this, yet it is sorta on topic??

You'd groove them with a chainsaw if you wanted to do it in a timely fashion without buying a $400 tire groover. Chainsaw wheel on a grinder also works. Both are messier than a normal groover but much faster and cheaper. The 60-100 dollar groovers are no good for taking lots of meat out of a tire.

Observe

Last edited:
WOW cool video to go with it..

notice how he uses a small electric chainshaw low in HP

I was kinda picturing a super manly chainsaw.. but for something this steady and accurate.. think does make sense..

I really enjoy learning solid advice all over this site..

yeah, now I can be that much smarter next time..

lol

Top Back Refresh