What's new

Better Call Saul... Final Season Discussion Thread

Is Better Call Saul better than Breaking Bad?

• Total voters
So that's it? Kim left and is just gone now? Seems like a dull way to end her character arc. Maybe she will be back in the Gene timeline.. . .

Black text:

thought the scene was excellent. Kim said her piece and we witness the exact moment when Jimmy fully becomes Saul as packaging tape plays the sound of his heart and soul being ripped apart. If Kim's story ended right then, I'd be fine with it.

4 episodes are left and at which point the fate of BCS' main and other characters are known in BB. 4 episodes to quickly bridge the BCS and BB storylines and arrive at the Gene timeline

So that's it? Kim left and is just gone now? Seems like a dull way to end her character arc. Maybe she will be back in the Gene timeline.

Plus, I never picked up on the fact that Gus is gay. I must not be paying enough attention.

That's the difference between BCS and BB. In BB, they pretty much spelled everything out for the viewer. BCS has you deciphering clues and piecing together connections between subtle plot points. It's fine and all, but I'm always paying attention to wrong details or something because I sometimes find it hard to figure out exactly what is going on.

Anyway, it looks like my theory about Kim running a con on Jimmy was wrong. Oh well.
They did some of that with BB, receipt dates where a big one folks used for dating the events timelines.
BCS, the registration stickers on the caddy I take a look at when I can read it. this episode the sticker was for 2005, if I remember right the opening credits where the caddy is getting towed away is 2011, presumably when Saul gets picked up on his way to life in Nebraska as Gene. So hypothetically 6 years of living the life of hookers & nutrigrain bars.

But yeah, Kim suddenly having the realization that her and Jimmy together make for trouble is a bit of a let down as a reason for parting ways. Be curious if there will be more of kim and playing into some sort of 'running away from things she doesn't like'. Her move to New Mexico to get away (she mentioned this in one of the earlier seasons), and now running away from being a lawer and running from Jimmy.

With as few episodes as there are remaining in the series, that was a waste.
I've thought the same exact thing for several episodes this season.

Also, changing the actor that plays "Jeff" the cab driver felt completely off. The first actor was more intinmidating and more interesting than this replacement guy.

3 more episodes left.

Last edited:
The most revealing detail was the Gene timeline occurring one year after BB. A subtle, possibly relevant, unanswered question is specifically who was Jeff in trouble with in ABQ? Otherwise the long winded tail about Saul gaining leverage was too drawn out. Maybe it's relevant in future episodes if Saul gets ID'd and flushed out of Cinnabon.

I've thought the same exact thing for several episodes this season.

Also, changing the actor that plays "Jeff" the cab driver felt completely off. The first actor was more intinmidating and more interesting than this replacement guy.

3 more episodes left.
Can you refresh my memory - where did we see Jeff before?

Can you refresh my memory - where did we see Jeff before?
In episode 1 of season 5, during the "Gene" cold opening. Jeff is the cab driver who tells Gene that he knows who he is and makes Gene say "Better Call Saul". Then Gene calls Ed the disappearer and eventually tells him that he will take care of this problem himself.

Last edited:
So that's it? Kim left and is just gone now? Seems like a dull way to end her character arc. Maybe she will be back in the Gene timeline.

Plus, I never picked up on the fact that Gus is gay. I must not be paying enough attention.

That's the difference between BCS and BB. In BB, they pretty much spelled everything out for the viewer. BCS has you deciphering clues and piecing together connections between subtle plot points. It's fine and all, but I'm always paying attention to wrong details or something because I sometimes find it hard to figure out exactly what is going on.

Anyway, it looks like my theory about Kim running a con on Jimmy was wrong. Oh well.
Gus's restaraunt is "The Chicken Brothers" Way back in his story arc the Main cartel guy killed his "brother" thus motivating him to plan his revenge and takeover of the cartel's meth business. Edit: I don't recall if that background story is from BCS or BB.

With as few episodes as there are remaining in the series, that was a waste.
No kidding how many minutes of airtime did they spend showing Fring drinking wine at a bar ???
WTF was that about ?

Been binging in the evenings and finished what Netflix has so I am torrenting the last season and start it later this evening.

The show got pretty good. Not sure I could have stayed with it watching over the years and week to week. Lots of boring episodes but going back to back to back it was good.

I didn't read the comments for the current last season but I am looking forward to a few things.

Nacho - No way he lives although I hope he does. Fring not wanting to help even though Mike was advocating for him cemented him. Hopefully not his dad too

Kim - Off topic but pretty much a perfect woman! I keep wondering how someone that is such a huge person in Saul's life doesn't appear at all in BB or even mentioned. Maybe she was and I missed it. Jimmy is obvously devolving into Saul slowly and Kim is almost a willing participant as she enjoys playing outside the rules as well...... being Gissel. He grabbing the tequilla bottle top when quitting the firm was telling. I can't help but take her lack of being in the BB world as she gets disbarred from something that Jimmy/Saul has going or gets killed. Somehow though, especially with the focus on Howard pulling her aside and telling her Jimmy is bad for her, Jimmy/Saul's actions (and maybe her going along) is going to ruin her i think.

Howard - Interesting character. Right now Jiimy and Kim are plotting a plan against him. Howard is a lawyer, a salesman, a pretty boy but honestly, IMO, he hasn't really done anything shady in the series to Jimmy. Jimmy's brother basically set everything in motion blackballing him and Howard just kinda went with what his partner wanted. I think even Jimmy is seeing that at the end of the season as Kim is getting a bigger and bigger hard on about ruining Howard professionally.

Curious how my predictions play out. Probably all wrong. lol

Ultimately, I will miss the show when I am done with it so I guess that means that I have enjoyed it.

The show got pretty good. Not sure I could have stayed with it watching over the years and week to week. Lots of boring episodes but going back to back to back it was good.
I agree. i've been watching this series week-to-week from the begining and it has been frustrating. Slow episodes are the main thing, but also there was like 1.5 years between Seasons 4 and 5, then 2 years between 5 and 6. Then they split Season 6 in half making the entire series even longer.

I'll never watch another Gilligan/Gould series until it is over and I can binge it all at once. You are correct, it makes the slow episodes much less annoying when you can just start watching the next episode immediately.

About 4-5 into the new season.

Poor Nacho. Should have unloaded on the twins and the old man before suiciding himself.

Looking forward to seeing what they came up with for Howard although like I said above, I don't see him as a bad person in the whole saga.

I agree. i've been watching this series week-to-week from the begining and it has been frustrating. Slow episodes are the main thing, but also there was like 1.5 years between Seasons 4 and 5, then 2 years between 5 and 6. Then they split Season 6 in half making the entire series even longer.

I'll never watch another Gilligan/Gould series until it is over and I can binge it all at once. You are correct, it makes the slow episodes much less annoying when you can just start watching the next episode immediately.
I call it momentum.

If you have the momentum, it carries you through the slow episodes

I thought I read an interview that said the season 6 split was due to network scheduling and actually wasn't planned by the showrunners? I thought Gilligan said that Howard's death wasn't actually meant to be a mid season finale, it just worked out that way.

Of course, now I can't find the interview...

I've also learned to delay watching shows like this until it's nearly done or in its last season. I didn't start watching Game of Thrones until right before the last season started. Binged it all, then started final season. Now you don't have to stretch your brain remembering who is who when some seemingly random character from two seasons ago shows up as an important plot point. I have, of course, broken my own rule for Better Call Saul...

I thought they split it because Bob Odenkirk had a heart attack

Last edited:
I thought I read an interview that said the season 6 split was due to network scheduling and actually wasn't planned by the showrunners? I thought Gilligan said that Howard's death wasn't actually meant to be a mid season finale, it just worked out that way.
I think you are correct, but the end result was a delay to the viewer.

Last edited:
All caught up. Man episodes 10 and 11 brought the slow. I found myself fiddling on my phone most of the time.

How many more are there now?

I'm hoping for a Breaking Bad worthy ending, but have a feeling it might be happily everafter with Kim.

Wonder what the spaz-out in the phone booth was all about.

Last edited:
The most revealing detail was the Gene timeline occurring one year after BB. A subtle, possibly relevant, unanswered question is specifically who was Jeff in trouble with in ABQ? Otherwise the long winded tail about Saul gaining leverage was too drawn out. Maybe it's relevant in future episodes if Saul gets ID'd and flushed out of Cinnabon.
Turns out that Jeff's big criminal activity in ABQ was drunk in public and urinating in public. Not exactly what I was expecting, but Marion seemed to think it was a big deal.

Episode 612 was pretty good. Lots of stuff going on. I was hoping we could get some more information about Kim, but watching her get railed by the "Yup" guy was unberable.

Cheryl looked like shit. She looks like she is trying to turn Chinese

The series finale should be pretty good. Things are closing in on Jimmy/Saul/Gene/Viktor. I wonder if the final episode will be longer than normal.

The twists and turns never end.
I did feel like the first part of the show was rushed just to push something, anything out. Looked more like a scene out of the 1970's than during the gene time frame so I'm trying to figure out who this person that looks like Kim might be--which also leads me to question how they wrote Kims character during this stage, that wasn't how I considered Kim to behave despite watching some guys brains blasted out infront of her. I guess I figured she was a tougher cookie than that to turn into some meek, can't make a decision, beaten woman type.

Really enjoyed the second last show.

The level of detail put into the scenes at Kim's Florida workplace was so enjoyable. Irevevent to the plot, but fascinating. Maybe I'm the only weirdo that appreciated it.

I hope Jimmy and Kim find happiness in the end.

Top Back Refresh