What's new

Best small contractor combo

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Thought this might be interesting.

I drive this combo around during the week. It's a 19 F550, crew cab, 12' enclosed service bed. It's nice to have room, but is awkwardly long more often than not. It's also, imo, unnecessarily heavy (38k lbs) for what it is. I often think of what would be a better set up while driving to different places. Lot of guys are doing similar work with a 1 ton pick up and a regular equipment trailer.

I would have never picked a crew cab and 12' bed. I rarely have more than one other guy with me, and if I do, it's just 1 more. I also don't think the box needs to be 12' for what I carry. I think I would be fine with a 9' box.

Then there is the trailer, it's too long, ridiculously heavy(near 10k lbs with no machine) and is a power tilt which is slow, and has killed the battery a few times. I also don't like how there is so much of the needed tools on the trailer, as I sometimes don't have it or have to drop it at the top of a driveway. This may be able to change since we are getting a new 3 axle gravity tilt low deck trailer.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice truck and has about everything you would ever need. It's the first truck I've worked around with a covered bed, and it looks goofy, but can be kinda nice, especially in rain and snow.

My thought was that if it's already a class A setup, why not just go with an actual MDT like an F750 or similar?

My buddy uses a roll off hook truck doing similar work and I've wondered if that set up would work better. Be able to haul the ex on the back, have the basic tools on the truck like a shovel, ect. Or haul roll of bins, or any type of box, tank, ect that goes along with a roll off. Then have the ability to pull a job trailer for specific jobs where you need more supplies, fittings ect. You also then have the ability to haul a ~20T equipment trailer also.

So hypothetically, you have to haul around a ~12k lb ex to do a wide variety of work, what do you set up for your perfect truck/trailer combo?

How many men on your team at work sites?

I think having a single f550 to haul all of that around is just asking for problems. That f550 is overloaded!

What do you do for work if the truck break down and at a shop for days?

I think multiple trucks (F250/350, maybe 450) will be best, to spread out loads needed at work sites, and avoid class a cdl. But obviously this logistics only will work if you have other men on your team at work sites.

How many men on your team at work sites?

I think having a single f550 to haul all of that around is just asking for problems. That f550 is overloaded!

What do you do for work if the truck break down and at a shop for days?

I think multiple trucks (F250/350, maybe 450) will be best, to spread out loads needed at work sites, and avoid class a cdl. But obviously this logistics only will work if you have other men on your team at work sites.

It varies. Yesterday I was by myself. Most days it's me and 1 helper. Occasionally 2 helpers. If the job is bigger we often take another pickup, but 90% of the time they're 1-2 day jobs and it's just one truck.

I don't think it's actually over loaded. It's about 18k truck axles and 20k trailer axles. Some of the new 1 tons are rated to pull over 30k lbs. But I do agree that it's maxed out, which I think isn't really a good idea for everyday.

I think the last guy was just trying to haul too much. There is shit on that I've only used once or twice and few things I've never used in the 3 months I've been here.

Hauling around all the pipe bursting stuff every day seems silly as I've only done 2 and knew in advance I was doing them. If it were me, I'd store it in 2 job boxes and be able to just lift them on the trailer with the machine or a forklift.

This F550 have the 6.7PSD and the “High-Capacity Trailer Tow Package”?

This package give the 2019 F550 a 40,000lbs GCWR. Without that, no F550 manufacturer-rated to handle your 38,000lbs GCW.

We have been using the 3 axle deck over tag trail pulled by a quad axle dump for the last 30 years. Works perfect for the stuff we do. We use the 160 sized excavators for the contractor work we do.

This F550 have the 6.7PSD and the “High-Capacity Trailer Tow Package”?

This package give the 2019 F550 a 40,000lbs GCWR. Without that, no F550 manufacturer-rated to handle your 38,000lbs GCW.

Probably.

Ratings or not. It's got bigger everything than a 1 ton, which are often rated to tow ~34k lbs.

It doesn't feel unsafe by any means. It's slow up the hills, 45 mph up 6% grades. And I wish the exhaust brake was more aggressive like the Cummins. But it's easy to keep it under control with a few service brake applications.

I haven't heard if the new trailer is supposed to go with my truck or the other newer setup. I think I could drop at least a few thousand with a different trailer.

Pulling the other 3 axle low deck tilt trailer and an open cab 040 mini ex vs my 055-5 with a cab. I was at 32k lbs. But again there is a lot of stuff on my trailer and there might be a 3k lb difference in the machines.

Also, it was still 45 mph up the same grades, but was able to get up and go a lot easier.

We have been using the 3 axle deck over tag trail pulled by a quad axle dump for the last 30 years. Works perfect for the stuff we do. We use the 160 sized excavators for the contractor work we do.

We have that exact setup also, but a 135 Hitachi. It's great, but way to big for 90% of what I do.

I really like the idea of the roll off truck my buddy does. Has most of the same capabilities as a dump truck if you aren't hauling all day long, but has lots of versatility for different jobs.

Large cargo vans for the tools, and whatever stripped chassis trucks that are dedicated for hauling. It’s safer to have your cargo that way. And minimize the weight, and people that need a CDL.

Large cargo vans for the tools, and whatever stripped chassis trucks that are dedicated for hauling. It’s safer to have your cargo that way. And minimize the weight, and people that need a CDL.

Doesn't work to have 2 set ups driving everywhere.

Like I said, most jobs are 1 - 2 days and some even are less than a full day.

I kinda like the idea of hauling the mini ex on a larger truck, then having a trailer for larger lobs with more tools and parts.

You can get a dually transit van that would haul a mini-ex, but it all depends on what your distance and cost is. Or just get a lowbed, CDL. And haul the whole show in one trip.

You can get a dually transit van that would haul a mini-ex, but it all depends on what your distance and cost is. Or just get a lowbed, CDL. And haul the whole show in one trip.

How would a transit be better than what I have now besides it would be screaming to pull a 18k+ lb trailer? Between the side boxes and enclosed bed, I easily have more room than any transit.

Low bed doesn't fit most places I go. Thats the biggest issue now is the set up is too long. Not to mention it would be horribly inefficient to haul a low bed in for a 6 hour job.

For what you do I'd rather have a cabover MDT with toolboxes and a rollback.

That's how the various outfits that do well drilling, blasting, trenching and other "we have a crew, a bunch of tools and a machine that need to show up to the job site" businesses around here roll.

If a NPR/Fuso is too light then there's the NVR and all the Mack/Volvo trucks.

For what you do I'd rather have a cabover MDT with toolboxes and a rollback.

That's how the various outfits that do well drilling, blasting, trenching and other "we have a crew, a bunch of tools and a machine that need to show up to the job site" businesses around here roll.

If a NPR/Fuso is too light then there's the NVR and all the Mack/Volvo trucks.

Cab over would actually be great, most compact for the wheelbase obviously.

Man, the more I drive this truck and trailer, the more I hate it. :laughing:

We do so many 1 day jobs that getting this thing in and out of places is just such a pain in the ass. I would gladly opt for a single cab for the maneuverability.

Buddy of mine recently picked up a very different setup. He plans to put his skid steer and mini ex on the trailer. I'm not sure it will be very practical, but it is cool. :usa:

IMG_20220710_170233.jpg

Sweet setup. When he gets tired of the power situation he can always add a turbo off a civi truck to get bit more out of it.

Sweet setup. When he gets tired of the power situation he can always add a turbo off a civi truck to get bit more out of it.

I'm not sure what the details are, I think it was one that got repowered in the 90s. Some type of cummins/Allison combo I believe.

He did mention that he can only get like 13 tons in with side boards. Going to be hard to find people who want to pay for only 12 or so tons to be hauled when a regular dump truck does about twice that and has the ability to add even more with a pup.

Yeah they were all to be refitted with ABS too because the allison and converter would stay locked and if you locked up the brakes for a panic stop the motor would then die. It should be an 14L 855 cummins small cam, they are sledgehammer simple and reliable but not as powerful or fast as the smaller 8.3L cummins. Usually the 8.3 trucks had the 14.00 tires but maybe it was switched over but kept the 11.00r20's.
I never understood why they chose the shortest wheelbase rig for the dump truck other than being able to back in tighter areas I guess. They are same WB as the semi tractor version then there are 2 longer WB's than it.

38,000lbs?!

Isn't the GVWR of the 550 right around half that?

Yeah they were all to be refitted with ABS too because the allison and converter would stay locked and if you locked up the brakes for a panic stop the motor would then die. It should be an 14L 855 cummins small cam, they are sledgehammer simple and reliable but not as powerful or fast as the smaller 8.3L cummins. Usually the 8.3 trucks had the 14.00 tires but maybe it was switched over but kept the 11.00r20's.
I never understood why they chose the shortest wheelbase rig for the dump truck other than being able to back in tighter areas I guess. They are same WB as the semi tractor version then there are 2 longer WB's than it.
Probably an overall length requirement so that an engineering battalion can be mobilized in conjunction of with other types of units without resulting in some dumb amount of wasted space.

My 19 cclb 350, trailer and mini ex is right around 30k, that is plenty for that truck in the hills. I’ve got a tune on as well, so we are probably way different power levels with the 550 being de-tuned, but that’s not the point.
My friend owns a company that has maybe 18-24 of your setup, w/cat 303-305.5, mostly xcabs. 306-308 usually moved on rollbacks, larger exs obviously behind hdts.
I would do a 650/750 xcab with a rollback of your desired length. You with still be longer than your 550 w/o trailer, but it seems to fit the bill. It is amazing how little room regular cab trucks have when you want to want to put things in the cab when there are 2 people. I’m guessing 4x4 isn’t a requirement for you?

My 19 cclb 350, trailer and mini ex is right around 30k, that is plenty for that truck in the hills. I’ve got a tune on as well, so we are probably way different power levels with the 550 being de-tuned, but that’s not the point.
My friend owns a company that has maybe 18-24 of your setup, w/cat 303-305.5, mostly xcabs. 306-308 usually moved on rollbacks, larger exs obviously behind hdts.
I would do a 650/750 xcab with a rollback of your desired length. You with still be longer than your 550 w/o trailer, but it seems to fit the bill. It is amazing how little room regular cab trucks have when you want to want to put things in the cab when there are 2 people. I’m guessing 4x4 isn’t a requirement for you?

C&C is detuned to ~350hp. I wonder if the regular pickups will detune at some point to keep things cool. My fan kicks on everyday, even when it's 40* I'd think 125 more hp worth of fuel would be bad.

Is you buddy using 12' beds on the F550s? I'd opt for the 9-10' bed and ex cab if I went that way. Would shave like 5' of wb. :laughing:

I do use 4x4 occasionally. But with most of the wieght on the rear, it doesn't seem to do much. I'd think a class 6 truck with a rear locker would be fine.

Both 9 and 12 foot bodies, some enclose, most are open w/ welder and comp. Lots of gas line service work and directional drilling. I would opt for your excab 9/10 body and 4x4 if it was me If you didn’t have to have the mdt.

Both 9 and 12 foot bodies, some enclose, most are open w/ welder and comp. Lots of gas line service work and directional drilling. I would opt for your excab 9/10 body and 4x4 if it was me If you didn’t have to have the mdt.

The problem I have is that I'm constantly in and out of places every day. The worst are the lake houses with 87 switchbacks down to the shore. I had the ex in a ~16' dump trailer the other day and figured I could make something that I should have unloaded at the top. Ended up in a very sticky situation because of the length of the truck.

IIf it were up to me, I'd definitely take a shorter setup and not take every conceivable tool to every job. Especially when most are just a shovel and a few hand tools :laughing:

What about something like a rolloff truck with different beds ready to go. It would be cheaper than multiple trucks but would give you option of having different setups for different jobs. I plan to try my hand at making one someday with the winch style load and unload not the arm.

We run a 3rd gen crew cab dodge 4500 with a 9 1/2' bed.

We use a 23' trailer (17' tilt 6' stationary) rated at 16k.

We haul our 333e or 50g.

We have plenty of stuff on the truck including transfer tank, welder and a crane and use most of it often.

We also have a 20k power tail gooseneck that works great when we need the capacity

We run a 3rd gen crew cab dodge 4500 with a 9 1/2' bed.

We use a 23' trailer (17' tilt 6' stationary) rated at 16k.

We haul our 333e or 50g.

We have plenty of stuff on the truck including transfer tank, welder and a crane and use most of it often.

We also have a 20k power tail gooseneck that works great when we need the capacity

Sounds like a very common set up.

I don't have a welder, but I have basically everything else you could think of for doing just about any type of work :laughing:

Top Back Refresh