What's new

Best place to get NEW 6.0L GM LQ4 / LQ9 engine ¿?

PAE

🚨 King of the Who ?🚨
Member Number
Loc
🚨
LOOKING for a GM new LQ4 or LQ9 complete REPLACEMENT engine.

Or as most complete as I can get with at least oil pan and front cover oil pump etc.

Not real sure if it would come with injectors and or since the truck has a LQ4 now is a LQ9 compatible with the trucks ECM ¿?

And with the truck having a ECM unlike the □square□ body chevy does the compression ratio from the LQ4 to the LQ9 matter that much, as in will the ECM adjust for the CR of the LQ9 if thats the engine installed ¿?

If you go that route, let me know. I have an account through Gandrud, and can maybe save you a few bucks.

Reactions: PAE
They dont say anything about a core, do they want one ?

No core would save alot of cost on getting one back to them and would be a good point of getting a 2nd life out of current eng in truck to put it in another truck after its worked over.

Last edited:
QwURS8XmqkLuxnIJHS0Kf-Xwf=w879-h1171-no?authuser=0.jpg

You will probably need a different intake for your application. These use rectangular port LS3 heads. I have a spare intake if need be.

Wisconsinite

Pics and price of this intake you spoke of?
You would need an l92 or ly6 truck intake and a 3-4 bolt throttle body adapter to use those heads on your truck.

The ls3 intake (car intake) will require more modifications and possibly new longer injectors or adapters in addition to the throttle body adapter.

What would I need just as the engine as pictured, with that intake ?

Might be easier to run it as pictured, compression ratio might be an issue but, would use new injectors on a new engine so that's expected.

Know a shop that has the LQ9 but would need to give them back a core and I only have a LQ4, don't know if they would accept a LQ4 in place of a LQ9 expected core.

Its a belief that attempting to swap

Chevy parts dude does not believe the change from a LQ4 to a LQ9 would not present any problems.

The only drawback is they want the core to be a LQ9 and I only have an LQ4 to return for the 2500 core.

The only way they are going to know if it’s an lq9 vs lq4 is if they pull the heads.

Flat top vs dished pistons

Reactions: PAE
They arent going to reuse the old LQ4 pistons just wondered why they are being asshats about it.
The only way they are going to know if it’s an lq9 vs lq4 is if they pull the heads.

Flat top vs dished pistons

Are you going with that ls364/450hp long block?
I talked to him a bit about this, and his mechanic shop said it will not work, and won't be able to install it in his truck, or bolt up to his trans. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain what would be the difference? I know he would need a different intake, since the 364/450 uses rect port LS3 heads.

Description from the website:

BUDGET PERFORMER BLENDS BEST OF LS ENGINE FAMILY
Chevrolet Performance engineers have developed the LS364/450 as a value-driven foundation for hot rod builders and enthusiasts looking to give their earlier LS-powered vehicles a high-performance shot in the arm.
Starting with a strong, economical iron cylinder block and durable rotating assembly, the LS 6.0L features the high-lift LS6 camshaft and the deep-breathing LS3 aluminum cylinder heads. It’s a strong combination with exceptional horsepower and a broad torque band. It is also fuel injection-capable, using production-based components offered in this catalog.
The LS364/450 is designed with the early-style 24X crankshaft and 1X camshaft sensors, enabling easier retro-fit installation in early LS-powered vehicles, including 1998–2002 Camaros, C5 Corvettes, 1999–2006 full-size trucks and SUVs, and other LS vehicles.
We offer the LS364/450 exclusively as a long-block assembly, without the induction system, ignition system or front-end accessory drive system, allowing builders to transfer components from their early LS-powered vehicle or complete a custom build with the components of their choice. An intake manifold that matches the LS3/L92-style rectangular intake ports is required.
No matter which vehicle you drop the LS364/450 into, its combination of horsepower and value will push your project vehicle to the next level of performance!

I talked to him a bit about this, and his mechanic shop said it will not work, and won't be able to install it in his truck, or bolt up to his trans. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain what would be the difference? I know he would need a different intake, since the 364/450 uses rect port LS3 heads.

Injectors, TB, MAP and various other sensors (knock) won't be compatible nor work with a LQ4 / 9 ECU without significant wiring rework / reprogramming.

The only easy solution is to put a set of rect to cathedral intake adapter plates and go back with the factory intake manifold. Also, rect heads have been proven to make less torque at low RPM vs the cathedral port ones.

PAE should go back with a LQ4 or 9 (no differences really) and take the easy route. If you want to make more power with it, there are fairly inexpensive ways to bump compression with different heads, but now you are forced to run on 93 and full ECM retune etc. Seems to be that his goal was an easy drop in, and for that you go back with the factory engine that was removed.

Not like the LQ4 / 9 are terrible engines anyways.

What is this going into?

Should bolt right in place of a stock lq4/lq9 truck... just have to use a rect port intake, and get the ecm reprogrammed. A tbss or L76 truck intake/injectors would be great for this. I'll have to dig up what intake was initially used. Strong runner in the dyno cell.

Should bolt right in place of a stock lq4/lq9 truck... just have to use a rect port intake, and get the ecm reprogrammed.

Some LQ4 had the long snout crank and a different flexplate
The injector plugs are different
Gen4 DBW TB cannot be driven by the Gen3 ECU
MAP sensor is different and the wiring / plug would have to be changed.

Have you ever done what you're suggesting ?

Some LQ4 had the long snout crank and a different flexplate - I don't know enough about that to offer any input.
The injector plugs are different - That is easily fixed with a injector adapter.
Gen4 DBW TB cannot be driven by the Gen3 ECU - his truck is DBC.
MAP sensor is different and the wiring / plug would have to be changed. - shoudn't be that big of a deal.

Have you ever done what you're suggesting ?

I'm offering the input from someone who did it.

It's not "that simple". Maybe the shop doing it is a mechanics shop that does removals / installs and not custom work.

You're correct in it not being that "simple" of a swap. Sorry if I was eluding that it was, not my intention.

And I will say that it's really not that complicated if you know what you're doing and have the tools to do it.

Definitely a doable endeavor without too much headache. But not for everyone.

Some LQ4 had the long snout crank and a different flexplate - why I asked what the application was.
The injector plugs are different
Gen4 DBW TB cannot be driven by the Gen3 ECU
MAP sensor is different and the wiring / plug would have to be changed.

Have you ever done what you're suggesting ? Can and have done this with adapters I've built myself or from aftermarket, in dyno cells.
But was interested in input from someone who has done it in the field.

Cant even get the same engine (LQ4) thats in the truck currently as its out of stock everywhere within 100 miles driving distance.

Dealership wants exact core or $2500.00 core charge, so if I buy the $4500.00 LQ9 engine they have they want an LQ9 core, parts manager says they can tell in 30 seconds by pulling the head and looking at piston tops.

Still with the 2500.00 core..

They cut a deal on getting the core back to them so you get about 2000 back of the 2500.

Thanks btw

it's really not that hard to mix/match sensors and injectors to get a better/cheaper engine in there. I've done it, a lot. Then again, I have HP Tuners and can do my own tunes to get me close.

Jon at Fuel Injector Connection - High Performance Fuel Injectors can get you the injectors to match the fuel rails and intake you end up with.

I am thankful for this thread, as I like that Gandrund engine, if it's the real deal. I have a TBSS intake that I will run with GM Gen 3 wiring, sensors and ECM, same that you have in your truck.

If you had to switch up, doing knock sensors in the valley isn't hard. You could also keep the knock sensors on the side of the block. Converting to a cartridge style MAF is better, more efficient and people have already talked about the TB adapter. I'd just buy a cable driven, matching TB from eBay. 90mm billet ones are cheap.

Top Back Refresh