What's new

Best camping gear?

Poke

I’m condescending
Member Number
What gear do you have that works well, packs light, you’d buy again.

From sleeping to eating, cleaning, or making coffee. What ya go?

My wise owl hammock tarps are the best tarps I’ve ever used, the pull strings are nice.
Seat to Summit cup is the best cup.
Jet boil is awesome.
Sawyers squeeze works really well.

Kammock has been by hammock setup for a bit now.

Otherwise don't know whole bunch of random stuff. Don't do much packing or light weight stuff anymore.

Klymit staticV air mattress
Yawp. I use this. Its great.

BigAgnes BlackTail 2 tent. Fits great on the bike.

For hammocks, I encourage you to look at Warbonnet Blackbird XLC with a SuperFly tarp. top notch. its the preemo in hammocks.

Lightweight for me means getting 3 days of food and beer into one 65 qt. Cooler just for myself.

A Coleman flat one burner stove, cast iron skillet, paper plates, and don’t need a cup, it all comes in cans.

And a tent cot.

You eat to much if 3 days is all the beer you can pack.:flipoff2:

Engle deep blue cooler
Coleman dual fuel 1 burner stove

For backpacking I like gregory packs, osprey is a good brand too. It's hard to beat MSR for tents and cooking gear also. Mountain hardware is my go to sleeping bag but there are ton of sleeping bags that's are good just make sure you select the right season. Therm-a-rest makes a quality bed roll. Neoair for 3 season something with a decent r value for winter. Clothing wise I prefer wool over synthetics but it's getting harder to find. Thanks to hipsters, hi performance synthetics are everywhere. On a 10 day 100+ mile trek those brands will work well.

For most other camping good brands like Kelly, Coleman, marmont, ll bean, etc. Will do fine.

For overlanding just but the most expensive equipment you can find. The less useful the better.

No matter what your buying the fine folks at campmor will never stear you wrong. Steepandcheap.com also has wicked deals.

Some of the gear I use...

Helinox chairs
Wise Owl hammock
Thermarest sleeping pad
Adventure Tool Company makes some nice gear bags
Kelty tent
Kelty USA made sleeping bag
Ancient Coleman dual fuel stove

Sleeping pad.

I liked Klymit static v luxe it but popped out on me. Best to clear of anything sharp beforehand. Very small and light to pack. Easy to adjust how much air you want. Kinda hard to get pretty comfortable but just enough for sleeping

Exped Flexmat Plus. Love it more than above. Takes more room but no worries about popping and find it more comfortable

Tent

Rustic ridge 6 person dome tent. Takes a while to set up and take apart but seems pretty strong and good quality for price. I got it not long ago, at least 30 days camping use at fires so far. No wear and tear yet. Probably last me another year or 2 of use I think.

Sleeping bag

Teton Evergreen -10F comfortable and easy. Bulkier than I thought but so far works great in as low as 50s. Not sure if ill stay warm at 30s and colder but I'll find out in next month or 2. Happy with it otherwise.

If no water/soap. I use Sam's club bulk cleaning wipes. Useful

Last edited:
Depends what you mean by camping. High dollar lightweight backpacking gear sucks if you're only ever car camping, for example.

What is car camping? You mean being homeless?

Katadyn water filtration.

I’ve used their pump filter, and gravy feed units for years. I’m adding Life straws to my “Oh shit” kit soon.

Katadyn water filtration.

I’ve used their pump filter, and gravy feed units for years. I’m adding Life straws to my “Oh shit” kit soon.
Arnt they physically large? Like 10x bigger than a sawyers?

This weekend we used these, LifeStraw Go 1L, $25 at Walmart and they have the charcoal filter

Mystery ranch pack
Klymit static v pad
Asolo bag
Msr pocket rocket
Aquaquest tarp, or msr elixir 2
First lite clothing
Sitka rain gear
A piece of foam to sit on
A titanium long spoon, and a ti cup
Msr water pump
Lowa boots

Reactions: DMG