What's new

Bending well pipe

DMG

Red Skull Member
Member Number
So I have some well pipe (water well casing). It is about 2 ish inches inside diameter and fairly thick wall. I want to use it to make the frame of a pavilion. I don’t think my bender will bend it and I don’t have dies or know where to get dies for anything that big.

will a pipe bender bend this stuff? Or do I need to cut and miter it? Or am I just retarded?

Last edited:
Buy 90s/45s and weld it. Use flanges where you need a bolted connection.

That's seems like some pretty small well pipe, every water well casing I've seen is 6"? I'm not sure about your stuff but the 6" well casing pipe around here is just schedule 40 wall thickness.

I'll second the motion to just buy the elbows you need and butt weld them especially if it's 4"+. If it's 3" you MIGHT be able to get a HF pipe bender style bender to work. I think the larger ones come with 3" dies.

Inside transfer pipe?
either way
the guys with a machine won't want to run crusty pipe thru their dies....

2 33* cuts on the horizontal bandsaw works great for a saddle fit for me. I can't hold a candle to the stuff pipe fitters do with a torch.
I use 31' joints of 2 7/8th's drill stem.

Thick wall? 3/8 to 1/2" is thick and if it is that thick I'd use elbows. For schedule 40 pipe I'd notch it as said earlier to get a strong joint suitable for a frame. Chop saw works to notch and bevel at the same time as well.

I just measured it. It is about 2 inches inner diameter. It was for a residential well, I am pretty sure. I agree it seems small.

cut at 45 and weld
fuck trying to make radiuses
or just cap the posts and fishmouth the horizontals
just don't leave the top open, ice does happen

I just measured it. It is about 2 inches inner diameter. It was for a residential well, I am pretty sure. I agree it seems small.

Thats drill stem, not casing. You can bend it with a HF bender but it will have a large radius to keep from kinking.

push it through between the axal of a truck and have three friends bend it. Its how we used to bend 2in and 3in pipe on the pipeline. We didnt break out the bending shoe or the slings for that shit. Im serious.Put angle wiis beteween front of on wheel and back of other on push to bend pipe. Slide through and bend more till you have what you want.

[486 said:
;n345103]cut at 45 and weld
fuck trying to make radiuses
or just cap the posts and fishmouth the horizontals
just don't leave the top open, ice does happen

Top does not matter.

Trick is to not leave the bottom closed.

[486 said:
;n345177]

if it is poked into the ground it is kinda hard to maintain drainage

But not impossible!

I welded two house jack posts into some 3x3 square tubing. Dug down until I hit the Canadian Shield, epoxied in some 7/8 high grade threaded rod, tossed my house jacks onto them, then grouted and rodded the 3x3 until it was solid.

I drilled a drain hole (green aarow) at the top of the grout.

Click image for larger version Name:	P3150442.JPG Views:	0 Size:	313.8 KB ID:	345224
Click image for larger version Name:	P3150442.JPG Views:	0 Size:	313.8 KB ID:	345224

Cattle don't give a fuck what it looks like... Either cut it or get off the pot... Learn to weld! :smokin:

It looks like I am going to drag the chopsaw or bandsaw and mig home from work. Thanks for the advice people. It isn’t going to be covered with cloth, I am using metal roof panels to match the newish metal roof on the house.

Top Back Refresh