What's new

Being Cheap Vs. Being Inconvenienced? ( Guess This Is Too Much For Garage Journal Too)

I’ll ask you since you are a business owner. If your guys had to spend 15 minutes each day screwing with something to get it to function, when would you say “screw that enough is enough” and buy a replacement/fix whatever it is.

If it was something that was used more than a few times a week and required 15 mins of messing with it each time, I would do some math and replace it if it made sense.

In your example of a transmission jack, I would look to rebuild or replace the hydraulic unit.

However, a tool that costs $1,000's and requires an extra hour of labor a week to keep going, that I would most likely replace.

aR79V6WW_700w_0.jpg

For one thing, 99%of the tranny jacks made in the past 30 years arent really rebuildable. A lot of stuff made overseas, for example.

Stack coupons, buy the HF tranny jack and store it all the way down and it will last a long time.

Very true, many floor jacks from back in the day were also serviceable and rebuildable. But with society throwing quality out the window in favor of price must stuff like that now is disposable garbage. Or not cost effective to repair vs just buying new.

For one thing, 99%of the tranny jacks made in the past 30 years arent really rebuildable. A lot of stuff made overseas, for example.

Stack coupons, buy the HF tranny jack and store it all the way down and it will last a long time.
You cant buy a seal kit for alot of them, but you can get the seals from a seal shop.

in fact your cheapo jacks like harbor freight comes with a seal kit when you buy them

Very true, many floor jacks from back in the day were also serviceable and rebuildable. But with society throwing quality out the window in favor of price must stuff like that now is disposable garbage. Or not cost effective to repair vs just buying new.
so lets circle back.

why havent you rebuild or replaced your leaking transmission jack

hqdefault.jpg

yet you keep replying

Because it’s fucking hilarious to me, a bunch of grown ass men (most older than me) throwing out some bitch boy 4chan level shit like it’s some kind of nail in the coffin of “that’ll show him”

Ya it shows how retarded half you fuckers are.

Because it’s fucking hilarious to me, a bunch of grown ass men (most older than me) throwing out some bitch boy 4chan level shit like it’s some kind of nail in the coffin of “that’ll show him”

Ya it shows how retarded half you fuckers are.
yet you keep replying

so lets circle back.

why havent you rebuild or replaced your leaking transmission jack

hqdefault.jpg

Wasn’t mine, nor was the transmission jack the point of the thread.

The point is, when would you say enough is enough and quit fucking with something that only half works and fix/replace it. Basically how much do you value saving money vs dealing with stupid shit to save money.

You cant buy a seal kit for alot of them, but you can get the seals from a seal shop.

in fact your cheapo jacks like harbor freight comes with a seal kit when you buy them
We had a great little hydraulic shop back in Pittsburgh and they couldnt come up,with stuff to fit most if not all HF stuff. it may have changed in the past decade but these guys whipped outnthe seal kit ofr a 75 year old Walker jack in seconds so i have faith in them.

I bought the biggest HF aluminum racing jack to use in our Gambler carand it did not come with a seal kit.

What I’m asking is where do you guys draw the line between trying to cheap out and save money by using something that’s half broken/inconvenient to use and when will you pony up and say “screw this POS” and buy one that works as it’s supposed to?

IME the ones who want you to use half broken/crappy stuff are bosses and managers who aren’t directly inconvenienced by it themselves. Long as the work gets done they don’t care. IMO you waste more time dealing with broken junk trying to make it work right (by wasting time you also lose money) than it would cost to replace with one that works right. But some folks seem to have the goal of “spend as little as possible no matter the problems it causes”.

For example, having a tranny jack that pours oil out and requires filling each time it’s used wastes more time and money than buying a new one, not only the money in the oil but also the time filling it each time and cleaning up the oil trail it leaves in its wake.

So what do you fuckers think? Apparently this is too controversial for garage journal so fuck them!

Wasn’t mine, nor was the transmission jack the point of the thread.

The point is, when would you say enough is enough and quit fucking with something that only half works and fix/replace it. Basically how much do you value saving money vs dealing with stupid shit to save money.
literally the point of the thread

No mechanics own tranny jacks. Its a shop tool. The only reason I own them is because i own a shop.

Jimmy, you have a message you seem to want to put out there. Start a blog or a podcast. IBB’ers arent your target audience.

Btw, flat rate sucks. Everyone knows.
I have my own. Wanna know why? So I never have to take anything that I own to someone like Jimmy NUMBAWS!!!! He spends far to much time crying and being inefficient.

Reactions: DMG
We had a great little hydraulic shop back in Pittsburgh and they couldnt come up,with stuff to fit most if not all HF stuff. it may have changed in the past decade but these guys whipped outnthe seal kit ofr a 75 year old Walker jack in seconds so i have faith in them.
sometimes it just happens i had some issues getting allis chalmer seals last year (but it was 1941)

If it was something that was used more than a few times a week and required 15 mins of messing with it each time, I would do some math and replace it if it made sense.

In your example of a transmission jack, I would look to rebuild or replace the hydraulic unit.

However, a tool that costs $1,000's and requires an extra hour of labor a week to keep going, that I would most likely replace.

Aha there’s what I’m looking for, thank you

I know how I calculate it myself, basically if it’s irritating or a pain in the ass/inconveniences me I’m not dealing with it for long, it’ll be fixed or replaced in short order.

I’m curious to see how others make that decision.

I have my own. Wanna know why? So I never have to take anything that I own to someone like Jimmy NUMBAWS!!!! He spends far to much time crying and being inefficient.
Do you have a lift, fancy guy? :flipoff2:

I almost had to throw up the jimmy numbers bat signal. I needed to change the rear brake pads on my wife’s 535d. I took the wheel off and what I seen made me panic. Not only did the brake pad have a wire coming out of it, it also had a electrical parking brake.

7467155C-7507-4D89-BD15-F008C08108FB.jpeg

I didn’t know what to do, I thought what would the best mechanic I know do in this situation. So I got out the antiseize and spread it everywhere. I managed to get it all over myself and in my hair.

763B44F4-009E-4CF3-B152-F166BFACD98E.jpeg

You know what it fucking worked god damnit. The parking brake got retracted and the pads got successfully changed. Thank you jimmy numbers!!!

OK I'll play along. As a shop owner, I have the exact transmission jack you use in your op. It doesn't leak on the floor, but it won't hold anything up without an extra step on the pump lever every couple minutes. Why would I replace it? It gets the job done, continuously. The money I could have spent on that instead goes in my pocket. Or on slow months that money might go in my employees checks. Does that make sense?

OK I'll play along. As a shop owner, I have the exact transmission jack you use in your op. It doesn't leak on the floor, but it won't hold anything up without an extra step on the pump lever every couple minutes. Why would I replace it? It gets the job done, continuously. The money I could have spent on that instead goes in my pocket. Or on slow months that money might go in my employees checks. Does that make sense?
That would drive me nuts.

No mechanics own tranny jacks. Its a shop tool. The only reason I own them is because i own a shop.

Jimmy, you have a message you seem to want to put out there. Start a blog or a podcast. IBB’ers arent your target audience.

Btw, flat rate sucks. Everyone knows.

The reason I post to this forum is because every other forum is run by a bunch of censor happy pussies who delete anything “controversial”. Least I don’t have to worry about being shut down here.

Far as the insults and shit slung my way, meh, it’s the internet. Par for the course.

You as a shop owner wouldn’t, but as I tech I would as that would irritate me. I completely understand a shop owner not fixing it in the case you made. My personal tools, however, are a different story.

You as a shop owner wouldn’t, but as I tech I would as that would irritate me. I completely understand a shop owner not fixing it in the case you made. My personal tools, however, are a different story.
so why havent you fixed the jack?
hqdefault.jpg

so why havent you fixed the jack?
hqdefault.jpg

It wasn’t mine you retard, nor did you pay attention when I said it was the shop I used to work at and now I have my own.

The transmission jack was just an example I used to ask people where do they draw the line on saving money vs being Inconvenienced. I’ll pony up any day of the week over being irritated by something that doesn’t work as it should.

It wasn’t mine you retard, nor did you pay attention when I said it was the shop I used to work at and now I have my own.

The transmission jack was just an example I used to ask people where do they draw the line on saving money vs being Inconvenienced. I’ll pony up any day of the week over being irritated by something that doesn’t work as it should.
so this is definitely the case here
hqdefault.jpg

basically if it’s irritating or a pain in the ass/inconveniences me I’m not dealing with it for long, it’ll be fixed or replaced in short order.

Guess it’s a good thing you don’t work for yourself, you be out of a job.

You: "hey boss in between jobs I took 30mins and replaced the seals in that shitty jack and it works great now, $5 in parts and it's fixed!"
Boss: "thanks Jimmy! Despite evreyone else in the shop wanting to kill you daily because you won't STFU ever, I won't fire you Friday like I was planning to just because you took that time and fixed that jack for me"

See how that works:flipoff2:

And for the memes
pol-10.jpg

When a car in need of repair comes in, is your first recommendation to purchase a new vehicle?

When a car in need of repair comes in, is your first recommendation to purchase a new vehicle?

No, but my solution isn’t to offer some :mr-t: rigged, half ass cheap fix either. I do offer a fix, not just “oh it leaks power steering fluid? Just keep dumping that in it it’s all good!”

Top Back Refresh