What's new

Behold! I present to you, the hitch hauler…

Gatorgrizz27

Member Number
I got tired of hearing my pintle hitch doing gymnastics in the bed, and having to climb in and pull hitches that had slid up against the toolbox back to haul plywood.

Ended up building this to deal with it, verticals are 6” long pieces of 2 1/2” x 1/8” wall square tube, horizontals are from a piece of 1 1/4” square tube I found out in the woods behind the shop. Hit it with some Rustoleum textured paint and bolted it in still wet because it’s a work truck. :flipoff2:

Figured it might be handy for somebody else, truck is a 2003 Chevy 2500HD and horizontal pieces are 20 1/2” long with the verticals spaced evenly. Theres a little bump out in the back that I clearanced with the plasma.

AAD2FED1-919B-48AA-B7A3-2270F19776D7.jpeg

Looks clean. Have you tested the holding capabilities by driving over speed humps too fast? :flipoff2:

Looks clean. Have you tested the holding capabilities by driving over speed humps too fast? :flipoff2:

Not yet, but this thing rides like a worn out Cadillac, even though it has new shocks and handles weight well. Made that mistake in a buddy’s Dodge one time before they went to faggy coils out back. Front was fine, rear about threw me through the roof. :laughing:

I went and looked for some weld on spring type clevis pins, but Tractor Supply didn’t have any so I gave up.

There’s enough heavy stuff in the toolbox to kill me in the event of a rollover that I’m not all that worried about it.

If I don't suggest the hack solution who will?

I'm not saying it's right but it seems to work well enough for the people who do it.
Like a boat trailer made for a ball just dropped on the hook of the pintle?

I do that, but my pintle has a 2 inch ball for a tip.

What keeps the trailer from falling off when you hit a bump?

Like a boat trailer made for a ball just dropped on the hook of the pintle?
Yes. Typically because the pintle is what's rusted in there.
What keeps the trailer from falling off when you hit a bump?
The pintle latch.

Might take some hammer pesuasion to get the latch to latch on a new pintle. I've never seen a new-ish one get used that way.

If you shop around, you can get the curt adjustable for pretty cheap. I think I got mine for $130. Then you can add a pintle adapter.

I hated having a bunch of different hitches and still having having the right one occasionally.

Also, I don't see how people bang their shins on hitches. Do you need to walk 1" away from the bumper? :laughing::flipoff2:

If you shop around, you can get the curt adjustable for pretty cheap. I think I got mine for $130. Then you can add a pintle adapter.

I hated having a bunch of different hitches and still having having the right one occasionally.

Also, I don't see how people bang their shins on hitches. Do you need to walk 1" away from the bumper? :laughing::flipoff2:

You must have smaller balls than mine.

wait... that came out strange.:flipoff2:

I occasionally could see it in a crowded lot, or on the ferry where they park you 6" from the car in front, but...yeah. I don't seem to have this issue.

The company that invented these type of hitches had one with 2 5/16” and 2” balls on it, but it looks like Curt no longer makes it since they bought them out.

I already had all of these hitches and find it easier to just pull a pin and swap one out that’s also the correct height than screw around wiggling 3-4 pins out and trying to remember what the right height is. I will occasionally pull the empty dump trailer with my Land Rover also, so it’s easier to be able to grab the hitch you need and leave the others with the truck.

I don’t live in the ghetto so I’m not worried about theft, people are more likely to spend the time stealing a locked $250 hitch than a loose $20 one IMO. I was worried to leave $50 worth of gas in $100 worth of metal Jerry cans in the truck bed yesterday though. :laughing: People commonly leave miter saws, trolling motors, etc in the bed of trucks around here. It’s not Mayberry but it’s not Compton either.

As long as you have the ones you need, I get the idea of not buying another hitch. I was at the same point, but then I got a different trailer with a really high coupler and often borrow trailers with varying hieght. So I got the curt and really like it. It's also useful for the fact that my F350 and F150 have very different receiver hieght.

Your example of pulling 2 pins to adjust height being difficult is also lame :flipoff2:

That seems a lot nicer for towing something with a ring and a lot worse for a rusted out coupler that won't latch than the old style ones where they just have a hitch ball instead of a hook.

A lot pricier too.

That seems a lot nicer for towing something with a ring and a lot worse for a rusted out coupler that won't latch than the old style ones where they just have a hitch ball instead of a hook.

A lot pricier too.

I choose to keep my trailers in decent condition instead of towing giant heaps of garbage meth head style, but YMMV.

Top Back Refresh