What's new

BEGINNING WELDING FOR nOOBs

Stick
MIG
TIG

In that order. There's a reason any welding class you take follows that order. Each skill set builds on the last.
Any moron can learn to weld MIG. The reason they do stick first is because it weeds out the people who can't/won't put in the effort earlier on.

Any moron can learn to weld MIG. The reason they do stick first is because it weeds out the people who can't/won't put in the effort earlier on.

Negative.

Any moron can learn any of the processes. There's less going on with stick than there is with the others. Less adjustment parameters. MIG adds wire speed and gas flow to the mix.

My first class was gas welding and stick welding. Gas welding gave me the hand eye coordination for tig.

I took an ag mechanics class in HS and learned to stick, then mig later on. My shop teacher had me fill holes on a shovel and then a lawnmower deck to learn how to weld thin shit. Its a pain, but was well worth the learning. The more you weld, the more you understand how the metal is moving in relation to position, amps, and technique. Ive really gotten it down to the cursive e style for most work, modifying as needed. Looks decent and i havent broke/cracked one yet. I bought a miller 180 autoset a few years back and i love it. It'll hit the overtemp if you run it hard though.

Skip the 110 and go 220 right off the bat. I got a Hobart 190 with a stand and whatever else came in the box plus a pile of wire spools off a guy on craigslist for $450. Built a mobile workbench and my first sim rig with it. Don't get to practice a lot but if no one buys my truck, that's going to change.

Stick
MIG
TIG

In that order. There's a reason any welding class you take follows that order. Each skill set builds on the last.
Forgot Oxy-A...cant think of a better way of getting the manual rod handling down for TIG.

I was doing a 4 yr MET and took the welding class for an easy A (I've been welding, TIG primarily, since about 1972). Guess who got caught and became the TA....:laughing:
Fun is dealing with the student that kept leaving his hood up when starting a stick weld? Can we say arc burnt eyes are a dead giveaway for that...:shaking:

I wish I would have learned stick first. Mig is easy, picked up a Lincoln AC-225 years ago to learn and said fuck it. Want to pick up a tig set up but they are expensive.

CDA 455 II is a dumbass. Could have called or dropped by. I haven’t worked since December so around just like him.

Yes you’re weird, a caltard, and pointed out I was fat. :flipoff2: Yes my welding skills have gone from questionable to really not good. But I would still Give you some seat time and some pointers,

I even had a non critical projec I would have let you do a few weeks ago. Hell I think I even have a Lincoln tombstone I would sell you,

ive even been known to rig up an adapter or two for 220 when it wasn’t available.

If I go missino, die of the COVID, or am maimed or murdered everyone here will know who, Because it couldn’t be the 100 other people that added me to their bad list this year.:laughing:

CDA 455 II is a dumbass. Could have called or dropped by. I haven’t worked since December so around just like him.

Yes you’re weird, a caltard, and pointed out I was fat. :flipoff2: Yes my welding skills have gone from questionable to really not good. But I would still Give you some seat time and some pointers,

I even had a non critical projec I would have let you do a few weeks ago. Hell I think I even have a Lincoln tombstone I would sell you,

ive even been known to rig up an adapter or two for 220 when it wasn’t available.

If I go missino, die of the COVID, or am maimed or murdered everyone here will know who, Because it couldn’t be the 100 other people that added me to their bad list this year.:laughing:
That's Mr. Dumbass. :flipoff2:

Soon as I get the Bronco running, I'll text you for a welding class. :smokin: :beer:

That's Mr. Dumbass. :flipoff2:

Soon as I get the Bronco running, I'll text you for a welding class. :smokin: :beer:
This morning an old guy came to buy a toolbox from me. Turns out he was a welder. He offered to come over and give me some lessons, I’m definitely taking him up on that. My TIG welding needs more than a few pointers. Like lots of practice.

This morning an old guy came to buy a toolbox from me. Turns out he was a welder. He offered to come over and give me some lessons, I’m definitely taking him up on that. My TIG welding needs more than a few pointers. Like lots of practice.
Dumb question:
You stick weld/have a stick welder?

Dumb question:
You stick weld/have a stick welder?
I have MIG, TIG,stick, and a torch. I can’t remember where the stick leads are for the box in the shop but my mobiarc on the cherocar should work, Or I can snag my dads old buzz box if you really want, I only stick weld when I really feel I should, then most of those instances I find a reason not to. :laughing:

So my good looks distracted you from the welding shit spread throughout the shop, or was it Fat Jason? :flipoff2:

Knowing a little about your living situation and nothing about your budget I would suggest one of the newer dual voltage inverter MIGs. They are smaller and lighter and can be plugged in wherever. You just need the 220v when the thickness of the metal requires it. For light gauge stuff any 110 plug will work. 1/8 is probably where you need a 20 amp 110 plug and that may work to 3/16. Past that or if you are welding for very long you need 220.

I run an old millermatic 175. Gets the job done and I am pretty much doing all the stuff you mentioned. Good duty cycle, and can go from sheet metal to 1/2". It's old, yet still kicks but when I need it. Even has a spool gun for some aluminum when I need it.

My bro in law bought a hobart and gets equal results with his set up.... I would rank it up there for the price.

Is this a decent beginners welder?

I need to learn to weld. Buddy does everything I need now, but he only has a stick welder and the MIG can handle the smaller stuff I need done, which is more often.
Hmm🤔

I might look into one of these.

Is this a decent beginners welder?

I need to learn to weld. Buddy does everything I need now, but he only has a stick welder and the MIG can handle the smaller stuff I need done, which is more often.
It meets all the criteria. Decent duty cycle, 230V, ability to feed .035, comes with the regulator for gas.

Nice little buzz box.

It meets all the criteria. Decent duty cycle, 230V, ability to feed .035, comes with the regulator for gas.

Nice little buzz box.
Just curious, What is the reason for .035? When I had my Miller 172 and my Miller 210 I used .030 and CO2 for better penetration

Just curious, What is the reason for .035? When I had my Miller 172 and my Miller 210 I used .030 and CO2 for better penetration
I use a wide range of welding wires... typically with .035 I am welding thicker materials. .030 wire has it's place too. As for penetration, again it's all incumbant on the material being welded.

Well, I didn’t get a mig. I found this near Wellsville Ohio for $375 and snagged it. Guess I’ll learn stick first.

EB0099BE-E08B-4C26-9D95-A57900C006E9.jpeg
DF27D963-0619-4DA5-924B-2118F32D0024.jpeg

Fuck yeah !
Get some 3/16 or 1/4 scrap at the local recycler and start sending rods down

I would start by filling up a 2.5-3" L-channel that's about 8-10" long in the flat position. This gives you enough length for a restart in every bead so you'll get a lot of practice at that.

Once you have flat down make the work-piece vertical. When you have that dialed move to a horizontal joint. When you have that one perfect start adding angle to the horizontal until you're doing 100% overhead.

Last edited:
I would start by filling up a 2.5-3" L-channel that's about 8-10" long in the flat position. This gives you enough length for a restart in every bead so you'll get a lot of practice at that.

Once you have flat down make the work-piece vertical. When you have that dialed move to a horizontal joint. When you have that one perfect start adding angle to the horizontal until you're doing 100% overhead.

I actually have some angle laying around.

I need a helmet. Looked a little today but want to find something I can see well in. Really worried how this will be with bad astigmatism.

I need a helmet. Looked a little today but want to find something I can see well in. Really worried how this will be with bad astigmatism.
I've had this one for about a year, huge upgrade over the previous ones that I had with a smaller window, you can see a whole lot more with this one.
The headgear took some getting used to, but once I spent 10 minutes to get it adjusted to my head it has been great.

Aaron Z

I have been amazed at how much I use the cut setting on my hood. Dont think I would buy one that didnt have that.

Top Back Refresh