What's new

Beginner to bows

Toreadorranger

Atomic Test Lab Rat
Member Number
Loc
CT
Picking up a bow has been on the list of things to do. I've been binge watching ALONE and it spured the thought again. I'd like to pick up a Recurve bow to learn with. Other than that I dont really have a clue where to start on a setup. I'm looking to balance cost and quality. Are the cheap fiberglass bows any good? I'd assume not based on how cheap they are. Anyone have a recommendation for a good beginner bow?

Honestly, I wouldn't waste any money on a recurve. That's just ME personally though. My thoughts, after having a few types of bows, is that if your gonna go into it, just get a decent one to begin with and get a compound. My go to is a Diamond, and for the money is the best bow investment I have made. Total set up including arrows, sight, release, balancer and a case was right under 600 bux. It's versatile, user friendly and FAR better (again, imo) than any recurve I have shot with.

I really love my old Martin recurve.

They're a trip to shoot. I do it instinctively, and I'm not quite sure how to explain it.

On the flip side I have a Martin setup with a 30" & 12" stabilizer, sure-loc supreme w/6x scope, and hamskea versa rest.

For hunting I've got an xpedition setup with a hamskea rest, 12" stabilizer, and black hold sight.

The rabbit hole gets deep. The key thing is learning proper form. Once you get the form down consistently the rest is easy.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste any money on a recurve. That's just ME personally though. My thoughts, after having a few types of bows, is that if your gonna go into it, just get a decent one to begin with and get a compound. My go to is a Diamond, and for the money is the best bow investment I have made. Total set up including arrows, sight, release, balancer and a case was right under 600 bux. It's versatile, user friendly and FAR better (again, imo) than any recurve I have shot with.

That is way more then Im looking to invest to shoot targets in my yard at this point. Plus I like the idea of a modern recurve.

I think I am going to give the Southwest Archery Spyder a try. Reasonably priced and has pretty good reviews.

https://www.southwestarcheryusa.com...own-recurve-bow-parent-1?variant=217106251792

That is way more then Im looking to invest to shoot targets in my yard at this point. Plus I like the idea of a modern recurve.

I think I am going to give the Southwest Archery Spyder a try. Reasonably priced and has pretty good reviews.

https://www.southwestarcheryusa.com/...t=217106251792

Understood... a recurve is a good way to set up initially. I did... Martin bows mentioned above sell a quality one!

I don't have any experience with the one you posted.

Understood... a recurve is a good way to set up initially. I did... Martin bows mentioned above sell a quality one!

I don't have any experience with the one you posted.

I'll take a look at Martin's as well. Not pulling the trigger just yet.

A recurve is cheaper but much harder to learn. They aren't super expensive and arrow selection is very forgiving. I'd recommend a Sammick Sage or something along that line. It's a little more than a hundred bucks but won't break the bank.

A recurve is cheaper but much harder to learn. They aren't super expensive and arrow selection is very forgiving. I'd recommend a Sammick Sage or something along that line. It's a little more than a hundred bucks but won't break the bank.

I have seen the Sammick recommended for a good beginners recurve. The southwest archery was started by a few engineers from sage. The spyder is supposedly a "updated" version of the sammick

I have a Diamond compound and it's a great arrow thrower. Compounds are just bows for lazy people (like me). Recurve bows are harder to shoot well, especially with a heavy pull. But they are still a lot of fun and can be had for cheap so why not?

Ha... just figured out who you are (your old user name on pbb) :laughing:

Welcome back! :flipoff2:

Ha... just figured out who you are (your old user name on pbb) :laughing:

Welcome back! :flipoff2:

giphy (1).gif

:laughing: There's a stack of magpul magazines in my range bag. But you aren't the first to think I was TRH.

Well then who the fawk are ya? Why the secrecy?

If you were a douche on the other board, it isn't a big deal.... your pretty much a douche here too. :flipoff2:

Yes but now I'm a douche with mystery :flipoff2:

Want me to change your name to TheBloatedMysteryDouche? I can, ya know...:flipoff2:

Back to bow discussion.

OP, let us know what direction you went and how it works out for ya! I am curious as to results!

I'm actually on a deer hunt next month~ Archery over the counter tag for August. :grinpimp: Had to dust off the bow and started targeting in the backyard for now.

PSE makes decent entry level packages. I had one when I first got back into bow hunting.

Top Back Refresh