What's new

Bearing Grease

jsawduste

Old Ass
Member Number
Loc
No where to be found
Been using regular Valviline red wheel bearing grease for the trailer. Seems to really thin out and became watery.

What are you guys using that’s holding up and maintaining viscosity ? Hearing some of the synthetics are a good choice ??

How many miles between lubing the bearings up agsin ??

For ball bearings in a poor environment I use Mobil lux ep2 grease. Good stuff.

If you can find something with high moly content go with it. The moly makes things slicker. My nephew works at the Rio Tinto copper mine. He said they make a lot of money on the moly they get while mining copper. He said it’s in high demand because of its lube qualities.

No moly for ball bearings! Moly is good for pins bushings things that slide. I have two grease guns for my crushing spread one with mobil lux for the ball bearings and one with the moly grease for the loader pins. The moly grease will reduce the life of ball bearings.

No moly for ball bearings! Moly is good for pins bushings things that slide. I have two grease guns for my crushing spread one with mobil lux for the ball bearings and one with the moly grease for the loader pins. The moly grease will reduce the life of ball bearings.

Didn’t know that. :grinpimp:

Didn’t know about the moly and ball bearings. Just figured it was good stuff.

The valvioline stuff I was using was the cheap 5 bucks a tube stuff. Got thin and oily in the bearings.

Have to go back and look at Bob the oil guy site. Been a while.

I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic for decades, but went to use the grease gun last week and it is a runny mess leaking out of the gun and that is getting tiresome. . II am looking for one type of grease that is suitable for everything but will be primarily used for wheel bearings and ball bearings in outdoor equipment.

A bit off topic but I’m sure your all somewhat familiar with greasing sealed bearings through the abs port. Someone told me they put 90w in there and it doesn’t leak? What do you guys think, seems like a mess waiting to happen ?

A bit off topic but I’m sure your all somewhat familiar with greasing sealed bearings through the abs port. Someone told me they put 90w in there and it doesn’t leak? What do you guys think, seems like a mess waiting to happen ?

I think it's a terrible idea, and I have no idea how you'd grease most wheel bearings through the ABS port.
Those are usually on a tone ring that has nothing to do with the bearing, or a fancy magnetic bearing, but it still just goes directly to the outside of the race.

No way in fuck would I just pour 90W into an ABS sensor hole.

I've always wondered about the Superduty unit bearing and greasing it though the ABS port. I was non beliver as well, thinking everyone was just filling an void not near anything.
I then saw this pic and now I do wonder if grease might be actually getting in there.

attachment.php

I've always wondered about the Superduty unit bearing and greasing it though the ABS port. I was non beliver as well, thinking everyone was just filling an void not near anything.
I then saw this pic and now I do wonder if grease might be actually getting in there.

attachment.php

Why the fuck don't they just sell replacement bearings for the "unit bearing" if it just comes apart and has regular bearings in it? I suppose it has to be pre-loaded correctly and they don't trust the average dumbfuck to have a chance in hell of getting that right???

When of the unit bearings on my beater superduty was getting rough I pumped it full of red and tacky through the ABS sensor hole and never had issues with it for thousands of miles afterwards. It's not a permanent fix but if it helps it helps.

No way I'd put gear oil in there, though.

There is also a company that makes grease fitting adapters for the Ford (at least) UB's where the ABS stuff goes. Dude with the panty dropper buggy used them on a 14B front axle which I thought was pretty neat in an application where the ABS stuff isn't in use.

I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic for decades, but went to use the grease gun last week and it is a runny mess leaking out of the gun and that is getting tiresome. . II am looking for one type of grease that is suitable for everything but will be primarily used for wheel bearings and ball bearings in outdoor equipment.

I've had the same problem with the Mobil 1. I'd go to use the grease gun, and discover that it had separated. The gun would be a mess, and the stuff left in it was too thick to pump (the gun wouldn't say primed). I got sick of it, and put some regular Ford type grease in it for general chassis greasing (steering linkage, king pins, etc.). So far so good.

Pete

The 90 weight didn’t seem like a great idea to me next I thought it would weep out and count get on the breaks or whatever and that wouldn’t be good at all. But I figured I would see what you all thought.

if it doesnt leak out oil would be better than grease, but the lack of capacity would be a problem me so id go with grease

attachment.php

Fake

Top Back Refresh