What's new

Battery cut off switch

In most forms of competitive motorsports the battery switch MUST be tied in to the positive side of the battery and alternator charging wire to meet the rules. As someone stated above, if its tied into the negative side, once the engine is running the battery switch won't do shit to turn off the electrical system. It is installed on the positive side so if there is ever a crash ect and fuel lines get ripped open the pumps and engine will not stay running when the switch it turned off. It's for saftey.

If all your looking to do is add one on to keep a battery from discharging, go on with your bad self and install it on the negative terminal.

This is correct... need to disconnect the (+) and the alternator. If you already have yours wired up to the ground, see if it kills the engine when it's running.

Someone should make a double pole cut-off switch able to break both sides of the circuit?
There must be some good reason they're not around?

Someone should make a double pole cut-off switch able to break both sides of the circuit?
There must be some good reason they're not around?

The newist drill rigs we sell have exactly that. Positive and negative are run through 1 box and a single keyed switch disconnects both sides at once. They went to this design so the batteries could be charged in the rig without fear of an arc shorting out 10s of thousands of dollars worth of CPU's, PLC's and delicate electronics on board the rig. We still get the occasional fucktard that tries to jumpstart them. Its usually a one time thing once they get the repair bill. :laughing:

The newist drill rigs we sell have exactly that. Positive and negative are run through 1 box and a single keyed switch disconnects both sides at once. They went to this design so the batteries could be charged in the rig without fear of an arc shorting out 10s of thousands of dollars worth of CPU's, PLC's and delicate electronics on board the rig. We still get the occasional fucktard that tries to jumpstart them. Its usually a one time thing once they get the repair bill. :laughing:

That sounds interesting, but I have to ask, what is the size of that cutoff unit?

I don't have a battery cut off, but I do have a toggle on the dash to cut off the fuel pump.

I run this type of marine cutoff switch on my rigs as well as my bus. They're way better protected against water and grime when placed on the dash of an open rig and the key only comes off when turned ccw a click past the off position.

bep.JPG

Top Back Refresh