What's new

Balljoint puller

Boomtacoma01

3rd Coast
Member Number
Loc
Houston
What is the consensus for a decently priced BJ puller. Specifically one to remove SD BJs and mid size ones comparable to Tacoma BJs.
Any specific manufacturer work better than the part store cheapies?
Or is parts store the route to go? the last few I had galled up on me.

The Chinese one that everyone re-brands is fine for anything less than SD60 or similar. The big shit like the SD60 and maybe some newer AAM stuff simply doesn't fit in them.

And unless things have changed and new shit is on the market you can buy a Chinese one and a Harbor Freight press for less than fancy name brand pullers that can fit the SD60.

Used a chinesium big clamp looking basard recently for a superduty. Worked just fine. Had to get creative using the few sleeves that came with the tool and have thought about picking up the accessory sleeve set just to make things easier.

I bought one off of the MAC truck. It was the best deal with all the pucks. It’s does all sd’s with ease.

I been using a old OTC press with a Astro adapter kit for over 20 years. I've never run into a issue, gotta get creative sometimes but I've never had one I could do.

Then convensional oct style will get the job done for the most part.

However, the snapon bjp1 is worth every god damn penny and is vastly superior. Its taller, better adapter attachment, better pass through, modular diver tip.

Adding the ujoint cup for 1410+ ive yet to come across a bj i couldnt get out from 1980s mercedes 240d to 4thgen dodge.

Then convensional oct style will get the job done for the most part.

However, the snapon bjp1 is worth every god damn penny and is vastly superior. Its taller, better adapter attachment, better pass through, modular diver tip.

Adding the ujoint cup for 1410+ ive yet to come across a bj i couldnt get out from 1980s mercedes 240d to 4thgen dodge.
They have an adapter for the late model Dodges that makes em even easier. The Snappy c frame is way more rigid too, keeps shit going straight better.

I'm not sure about SDs, but this worked great for my OBS F350.

The $120 OTC puller is quite a bit nicer than the Oreilly's loaner I've used. Replaceable rotating tip on the screw, with a ball bearing under it to take the load.
1693509334858.jpeg

7249_0.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 11-08-29 Your Orders.png

I don’t recall which version I have, but the C bent when doing my Dodge AAM . Might have been me though not noticing it was crooked and cranking away.

Also, look for a ball joint press…not a puller.

IMG_4782.jpeg

Snap-On BJP1, got one for half price off the truck (my only purchase ever from a truck). It's fuckin awesome.

Read lots of good things about the Astro Tools offerings. I think they have about 3 different ones, like extra tall and extra deep or something.

I don’t recall which version I have, but the C bent when doing my Dodge AAM . Might have been me though not noticing it was crooked and cranking away.

Also, look for a ball joint press…not a puller.

IMG_4782.jpeg
These pos are exactly why i bought the bjp1.

That is the basic otc type and im sick of them. The frame is weak, the cups suck ass, and short.

In rough 12 years ive only had 1 issue and they gave me a new scew shank on the spot.

I been using a old OTC press with a Astro adapter kit for over 20 years. I've never run into a issue, gotta get creative sometimes but I've never had one I could do.
exactly this

thing has seen some serious shit and keeps on keepin on

I don’t recall which version I have, but the C bent when doing my Dodge AAM .
doing it wrong
you load it up with the impact and then beat the fuck outta the inner C with your hammer to get it shocked loose

that is, if the old joints don't come out with the air hammer, which they usually do when you've got a properly sized air hammer

doing it wrong
you load it up with the impact and then beat the fuck outta the inner C with your hammer to get it shocked loose

that is, if the old joints don't come out with the air hammer, which they usually do when you've got a properly sized air hammer
Mine came out easy (thanks rust free CA!) pretty sure it bent on an install as I had the joint in crooked and didn’t notice while cranking on it.

Top Back Refresh