What's new

Bad torque converter?

lpukas2

Maintains those stupid things that fly
Member Number
Loc
Vail, AZ
Never messed with transmission during my 30 years of wrenching on shit. During a camping trip at the beginning of the year, I lost about 4 quarts of tranny oil out of the 32rh in my TJ. Return line from the cooler came loose and the fan took it out. Had to reposition the jeep to get a strap hooked up and also had to put it in drive to assist the tow vehicle on a hill. Dropped the pan, did the filter and ran several new batches of oil through the tranny (not a full flush).

It shudders on heavy torque, accelerating hard from a stop or going up hill in all in 1st. Otherwise it shifts great.

Bad torque converter or tranny?

I'm no trans expert here, but I would guess its due for a rebuild. clutches probably out of life. how old is it? how many miles since rebuild? if ever :laughing:
may have been getting tired and that was the final kick over the edge. how did the fluid look when you did the partial flush?

98K on it, never rebuild but taken care of. Fluid looked a bit burnt, some metal in it but I haven't changed the oil in about 5 years (only put about 500 miles on it per year).

Low fluid cooked shit inside. Those aren't exactly a robust transmission to begin with.

Torque converters can shudder when they're having trouble going into lockup but that happens at cruise in high gear not at low speeds or high load.

I wouldn't drop a trans just to change the converter.

Drop it, have it rebuilt and put a new converter too.

Correct answer: NV4500 swap!!!
I have been looking for a NV4500 for my J4700 project, they are too damn expensive down here but I do have a NV3550 sitting in my garage.

Looks like it it time for a rebuild, hate spending more time and money into that thing, want to get going on other shit.

I agree with the consensus. Sounds like you glazed first gear clutches. Just run it. Maybe it will come around. But probably not :grinpimp:

Well you guys called it
image_67225601.JPG

Top Back Refresh