What's new

AZ Peace Trail tips?

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
I figured I would post this in here instead of GCC since nobody there actually wheels. :laughing:

Have any of you ran the Arizona Peace Trail? Few of my buddies and I are wanting to tackle this. Probably do the entire loop taking 5-6 days. Being in KC it's gonna be 2 days each way travel time. I am too old to do 20+ hours straight in the truck going on vacations anymore. Any tips on where to stay, parts of AZ to avoid, or stuff to bring that I may not think of? Peace Trail

When are you wanting to do it? Hopefully like December or January. You won't be able to carry enough water right now to stay hydrated. Depending on how border patrol considers its high priority areas don't pickup hitchhikers between yuma and dateland.

When are you wanting to do it? Hopefully like December or January. You won't be able to carry enough water right now to stay hydrated. Depending on how border patrol considers its high priority areas don't pickup hitchhikers between yuma and dateland.
I am planning to run it in March or so. Most likely with be in March '23. I only get two weeks of vacation a year now with the new job. Next year's trip is already planned for TN.

i'd never heard of this before but pretty dang cool. seems like it could get pretty sketchy on the southern side with coyotes/illegals

I am planning to run it in March or so. Most likely with be in March '23. I only get two weeks of vacation a year now with the new job. Next year's trip is already planned for TN.
I would probably do February, March still gets hot that side of the state. Do you have a concealed carry permit from MO? I just looked and AZ recognizes MO permits.
i'd never heard of this before but pretty dang cool. seems like it could get pretty sketchy on the southern side with coyotes/illegals
Travel in a group should not be an issue.

I would probably do February, March still gets hot that side of the state. Do you have a concealed carry permit from MO? I just looked and AZ recognizes MO permits.

I do have a CCW as does one other buddy from MO for sure. I suspect a third does as well. Not sure about my KS friend.

From what I have read online a small group is better than big. It gets pretty dusty and a big group can get pretty spread out and doesn't move near as fast in my experience.

Arizona doesnt require permits, because, second amendment.

Arizona doesnt require permits, because, second amendment.
If you are an out of state resident then you must have your states CCW permit. AZ residents do not need a CCW permit to conceal carry in AZ but if you want to conceal carry in another state then yes you need a CCW permit.
even for out of state visitors?
See above also see Concealed Weapons and Permits | Arizona Department of Public Safety click on Reciprocal and recognition agreements.

Gunny is correct, you need to carry on the desert, and about needing to be a resident to CC here. I maintain my CCW for traveling

I encountered many illegals working at my remote mine site. Most just want some water and keep walking, but the smugglers blend in, when a smuggler van flips, the survivors point to the dead one as the driver, don't park your ride with the keys in it, don't turn your back on somebody. If you come across groups or vehicles, just keep moving, they are working and engaging in a shootout is bad business.

Gunny is correct, you need to carry on the desert, and about needing to be a resident to CC here. I maintain my CCW for traveling

I encountered many illegals working at my remote mine site. Most just want some water and keep walking, but the smugglers blend in, when a smuggler van flips, the survivors point to the dead one as the driver, don't park your ride with the keys in it, don't turn your back on somebody. If you come across groups or vehicles, just keep moving, they are working and engaging in a shootout is bad business.
Thanks that is the kind of info and advice I was looking for. I have never been to AZ much less way TF out in the middle of nowhere desert like that somewhat near the border..

Glad to help

In case that was unclear, about crossing paths with smugglers, IMO, they don't want confrontation unless they want to steal your ride. They literally already stole all the 4wd trucks they need, and they are running the desert in late model trucks with spray painted lights, 4 miss matched wheels with brand new bfgs on them, and there's basically stashes of tires and Jerry cans in the desert, in daylight hours, 2 guys with one pistol and a cell phone is safe, you offer to call la migra, they are either about to die and want the ride, or they turn and walk

What do you do when you find their BFG stash? 265/75r15 probably not worth the trouble.

revisiting this idea again. still be months out but I want to do this trail. From what I can tell the best time to run it would be early March? most likely going from town to town staying in motels.

Top Back Refresh