What's new

AX 15 Gear oil?

So we have 2 that say synchromesh and everyone else has a different opinion
That's why i was reluctant to post. I've been in more arguments over this very debate than i can count on assbook. If i have the time ill dig up the article i read that steered me towards the sae30 synthetic. But like i said, ive got over a decade on an ax15 with sae30 and it has never given me any problems.

That's why i was reluctant to post. I've been in more arguments over this very debate than i can count on assbook. If i have the time ill dig up the article i read that steered me towards the sae30 synthetic. But like i said, ive got over a decade on an ax15 with sae30 and it has never given me any problems.
Please do. I’m tired of fixing my friends’ AX15s:laughing:

Delo Gear ESI

Or a 30 weight engine oil or ISO 50 trans oil like SynTrans

Attachments

• 20230404_143800.jpg
    20230404_143800.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 8
ESI is around $150 a pail if I sold it, probably cheaper in the L48.

So we have 2 that say synchromesh and everyone else has a different opinion
I’m leaning toward pennzoil synchromesh as they’re stocked at local auto parts.

Although I’m considering to try synthetic 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil.

MT-90, MTL, or whatever, are fancy and nice but it’s not like I can get it at the first store I walk in.

Pita

Although I’m considering to try synthetic 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil.
No reason not to go with the 5w in a "clean" application like a manual trans.

Going with 10w over 5w is mostly because toward the end of the oil change interval when it's full of combustion junk and all the additives have degraded the 5w is going to be a little thinner than the 10w. Or maybe that's out of date fudd lore, IDK.

No reason not to go with the 5w in a "clean" application like a manual trans.

Going with 10w over 5w is mostly because toward the end of the oil change interval when it's full of combustion junk and all the additives have degraded the 5w is going to be a little thinner than the 10w. Or maybe that's out of date fudd lore, IDK.
How are you getting combustion junk in your tranny?

Not ax15, but Im a r150 owner for the past 15 years. Cheap tractor supply gl4 gear oil is what mine has always gotten, and its one of the last original parts of my truck.

How are you getting combustion junk in your tranny?
That's the point. You're not. So the old wisdom of 5w30 breaking down and thinning out more than 10w30 as a result of living in an engine probably doesn't apply. But I suspect that old wisdom just doesn't apply at all for modern synthetic oils.

Top Back Refresh