What's new

aw4 to 205/241 with 22r turbo on propane

I currently have the duals and I am scared as heck they will become my fuse. Or the tranny. I have the 241 and 205 currently. That’s the reason for questions.

Now racing I can see the auto having a lot of bennys.

I was reading some more today about putting block off plates in the tranny to help staving when going up steep inclines

I currently have the duals and I am scared as heck they will become my fuse. Or the tranny. I have the 241 and 205 currently. That’s the reason for questions.

Now racing I can see the auto having a lot of bennys.

I was reading some more today about putting block off plates in the tranny to help staving when going up steep inclines
If you get rid of the duals let me know how much you’d part with them for.

Slight derail: Have you ever sheared a coupler or input output on your doubler setup? What spline are you running? Making some similar drivetrain decisions for the future. We seem to wheel a lot of the same terrain.

No real broken tcase parts since I bought this setup. If I recall it’s 23 spline out put. I went crazy deep axle gears to give tcase some relief. I was 410 axle before and always worried. .

F47B2591-A5E9-42E9-9742-DD13A45CA2D9.png

Just saw this. Keep D300, sell transmission to jeep fag?:flipoff2:

I'd be a little worried about being stuck between gears with only 4:1 and a 4 cyl.

The guys with 4cyl turbo rigs still use the shit out of just ~2:1 when not crawling. Having 7.17s you might be OK, but hard to say. I also don't like the idea of wrapping 4:1 in OD gear for too long.

The fact that you say you used 2.28 a lot kinda proves my point. If high range isn't used much now, it won't get any better with an auto. I'd stick with the blackbox/205 plan personally.

I haven't really looked into any other options. I am glad this thread got started for more recent info on the topic before I commit to the toy cases.

If money isn't a huge deal, go with a 4spd atlas. I'd look at a 2.7/1.5(4.05) case. Run the rear in low for the desert for some extra umpf. Double low for crawling and maybe just 2.7 for mild crawling.

You might even look at 2.7/2.0(5.4), do the math on what your current top speed is and gear it as low as you can. Even the 900hp guys do this.

I have tossed the idea of 4spd atlas. I have no plan to run any desert being I am in Iowa.
I really like the idea of 241/205 but that is huge.
I would regear down to 530 something if I go Dana 300. I like the 300 because it’s compact. And does not have a long lead wait time.

I have tossed the idea of 4spd atlas. I have no plan to run any desert being I am in Iowa.
I really like the idea of 241/205 but that is huge.
I would regear down to 530 something if I go Dana 300. I like the 300 because it’s compact. And does not have a long lead wait time.

I was replying to pit bull cruiser about the atlas.

You already have 1 tons, just go with the 241/205. Will be nice if you ever want to go V8 also.

You sure the D300 4:1 are in stock?

I wouldn't go back to 5.13s. Your high range will be useless on the trail and you'll be stuck in 4:1 3rd or 4th gear all the time.

4cyl need doublers, just do it.

D300 "cant be flipped" either but people figured it out.

205 come in both drops but fords only have big bore so making a 23spl d-side is gona take some extra effort.
But ford d20s also exist and are fairly stout, d300 compareable.
By big bore I'm assuming the larger input bearing variant? Dodge has a passenger side drop, big bearing 205 that came behind the gitrag. 29 spline input, 32 spline outputs.

As far as abusing yota stuff goes. The w56 took everything I could throw at it from a 3rz. Including side stepping second gear on the limiter. 21 spline 23 spline doubler. 4low, locked f/r. Op might be in that power/torque range with a turbo 20R.

As someone who went down the 22re/ A340/Atlas 2 4.3 route, Id go with the duals for sure. I sure missed that crawl box with a tired 22re. I'm on tons and limited to 5.38s though. Being geared deeper in your axles could help a lot. I do have a R series A340 bell housing, flex plate and the spacers for sale if you need them for your swap since I'm in the middle of a 2rz swap and used an RZ bell.

As someone who went down the 22re/ A340/Atlas 2 4.3 route, Id go with the duals for sure. I sure missed that crawl box with a tired 22re. I'm on tons and limited to 5.38s though. Being geared deeper in your axles could help a lot. I do have a R series A340 bell housing, flex plate and the spacers for sale if you need them for your swap since I'm in the middle of a 2rz swap and used an RZ bell.
so doing some simple math, your set up was 64:1 and if i run that exact same set up i would be at 86, not bad i dont think.

if i could do the 205/241 with the auto that would be 55:1 just useing the 241 case and if i went both cases i would be 110 again holy fuck decisions. problem here is i think my tranny tcase length will be long as shit.

damit man....

I am collecting parts for something similar. I want to run dual gear driven Toyota transfer cases behind the auto.

I have -
Toyota A340 Bell housing
Toyota A340 torque converter
Toyota A340 flex plate
Jeep AW4

I still need -
Radesigns VX shifter
Toyota RF1A tcase adapter
Fluid cooler and lines
PXL_20220611_025613227.jpg
This is what I wanna do... I have all the a340 stuff...aw4s are everywhere just need to figure out transmission to doubler.. I can't find a dana 300 so this is what I plan.

No

You're tail housing is the common round 6 pattern. Atlas, D300, lots of 241s and some 205s will just bolt up with the right input.

Sell those cases and go with a 4 spd atlas. You're working backwards trying to get Toyota cases mated up.

I don't think I am going to run an auto trans anymore. I am going to be sticking with my 5 speed manual and dual Toyota cases for now.

Top Back Refresh