What's new

Average Hitch Height

Burns

Member Number
Loc
Portland, ME
Gentlemen, heathens, barbariens,

Is there an average ball height that I should shoot for when buying a drop hitch? Ive got a '74 F250 crew cab with '05+ axles, 6bt, and a ZF6....just built a rear tue bumper and looking to buy a drop hitch, but unsure what height off the ground to shoot for. Typical load would consist of an 18ft dual axle car trailer, or a 22ft enclosed. I dont have either trailer next to me to measure, and thought it would be a good question to spark debate.

Is there a standard coupler height for car trailers?
F250 1.jpg
F250 2.jpg

Goddamn, is there a build thread on that thing??? Sorry I have nothing relevant to your question to add, but that truck looks like the best of everything all combined into one, I love it!

Like I told my father in law recently. Buy an adjustable hitch, it will save you a ton of money in the long run.

This is roughly the price of 2-2.5 normal ball mounts and will tow anything but stupid ass 1 7/8s which needs to go away anyway.

Also, yes, awesome truck. Those wheels actually look really good with the classic truck. I'm on the look out for wheels for my 97 F350 since I want to go to 17-18s for bigger brakes, but don't want to give up my classic looks.

start with a 2" drop and go from there, buy from some place with free returns so that you can adjust as needed. you may need 4" drop, but it also depends on how much the truck suspension drops when loaded.

Most trailers are around 17-18" from my experience. I tend to set the truck up around 19" to account for sag.

YMMV based on bumper height. My 04 F250 needed a 2" drop for most trailers. My 2016 needs a 4-6" drop for the same trailers so I bought an adjustable Bulletproof drop hitch with the 2 and 2 5/16 ball.

No real complaints.

Measured everything up and went with a 8'' bulletproof. 6" of drop put me on the cusp of "is the tongue too high, will squat come into play".....then I remembered that I have a firestone airbag kit to fab/install so better safe than sorry with rear adjustability. My rear bumper is pretty high, so that played into this all too!

Goddamn, is there a build thread on that thing??? Sorry I have nothing relevant to your question to add, but that truck looks like the best of everything all combined into one, I love it!
Ill have to start a build thread to catch everyone up. I was on Pirate at age 16 or so.....and it taught me to think before building and have a rough plan in place. I always dreamed of my own build thread but never thought I had the skills to show off/cool shit. Things have changed now lol. There is one guy in the Ford Section here that had a VERY similar build. His is nicer, but its funny as we have very similar yet very different trucks.....his fab skills are lightyears above mine though
QDKP7238.JPG
IMG_3762.JPG
IMG_3369.JPG
CEGQ0522.JPG
CVDZ4118.JPG
QDKP7238.JPG
QDKP7238.JPG
IMG_3762.JPG
IMG_3369.JPG
CEGQ0522.JPG
CVDZ4118.JPG

Ill learn to insert pics correctly before I do a build thread lol. Also managed to squeeze the ZF6 in without a body lift.

Top Back Refresh