What's new

Auto trans noise

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
I've got a 92 4runner I use for hunting. 22re/auto. Dropped the trans, did a rear main, reinstalled, no funny noises.
went out hunting, starter died, ended up rolling downhill for 2km. Put it in 1st gear in the forlorn hope it would somehow spin fast enough to bump start. It didn't. Also quit dow shifting automatically the previous week, so I was just manually shifting it.

Hiked out, came back the next night with a starter. Swapped, started, had an awful clattering noise, but moves just fine. Noise decreased slightly in gear, increased with engine RPM.

I just dropped the trans to confirm that it is transmission related, and it is. With no tranny in it, it purrs like a walrus.

The symptoms suggest to me that it is the torque converter.

Edit: This is the first auto trans I've fucked around with at all. After posting, I started cleaning up tools, and had to move the torque converter. I'm guessing it shouldn't rattle if I shake it eh?

Thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Last edited:
Torque converter bolts tight?

Also on the no downshift, does it shift manually ok? and have you replaced the shift solenoids?

I drove mine for two years shifting manually before i replaced the solenoid harness in the trans. now it shifts great, new solenoids and the harness.

TC bolts were tight. Manually shifted fine. Buddy is 4wd swapping his daily next month, so I'm gonna get his TC and see if something is internally broken in mine. If not, I'll be in the market for manual trans swap parts I guess. Or just pull the motor and harness and swap it into the panda truck. I'm not totally sure.

Top Back Refresh