What's new

Atv for a 4 year old?

4x4orbust

Member Number
Any recommendations?
My son has a power wheels but it seems to be getting boring for him. Looking for something gas powered, with remote kill switch, and can be governed speed wise. I haven’t done any research whatsoever.

Any recommendations?
My son has a power wheels but it seems to be getting boring for him. Looking for something gas powered, with remote kill switch, and can be governed speed wise. I haven’t done any research whatsoever.

Any newer 50-90cc quad would be fine. My 2 year old can ride our 90cc Polaris which I'm actually looking to dump if your interested

Get him a 50 dirt bike, quads give them a false sense of safety imo. They end up going way fast a lot sooner. Dirt bike keeps a healthy fear :D

I think you might be right. I bought my kid a 50cc quad and he managed to roll it in the first couple of hours. I bet I said "Don't turn it on a hill" 100 times. Whats he do?:homer:

We bought my 4 year old a 50 cc dirtbike and a "training wheels" kit. He's getting pretty good and now that his legs are long enough the training wheels are about to come off.

I will say that the rear suspension spring was a way stiff for him, I picked up a cheap mountain bike rear shock/spring for it and that has helped a lot, it was also about 1/4" shorter which lowered the over all seat height about an inch.

Bought my son a new Polaris Outlaw 50 for his third birthday and he did awesome on it for years. Just bought him a new Sportman 570 EPS for his 10th birthday in January, he is doing very well on that, I just make him stay in low range......until I find him bombing around in High range. :mad3:

I bought my son a Kawasaki Bayou 250 when he was 5. He could putt around on it in first or second gear until he got bigger. It lasted him until he was 20 and passed it to his cousin. Good memories riding with him.

Get him a 50 dirt bike, quads give them a false sense of safety imo. They end up going way fast a lot sooner. Dirt bike keeps a healthy fear :D

As much as I want to, the wife gave a hard no to a dirt bike. Hence the atv

Any recommendations?

quads are dangerous. like a trampoline, its only a matter of time before you break an arm on it. get him a dirt bike. honda xr50. buy a tether kill switch so you can walk along with him the first day. they also have a throttle screw to slow it down. when he gets it, teach him to shift it. then hang on!

edit: just saw the objection from the mother unit. good luck with that. :rolleyes:

I bought my one son an LTZ50 that's sweet...even I enjoy riding it. My other son has a 90cc Arctic Cat. Depending on skill, your son could ride either. My youngest is NOT good enough for a 90cc. He's a MADMAN.

In the spring he'll tear out across the yard on that 50cc and just lay into doing endless donuts in the mud.

Bought my son a new Polaris Outlaw 50 for his third birthday and he did awesome on it for years. Just bought him a new Sportman 570 EPS for his 10th birthday in January, he is doing very well on that, I just make him stay in low range......until I find him bombing around in High range. :mad3:

We had one of those. I'm not throwing stones here, but dude...that's a lot of machine for a 10 year old. They're fast for a utility quad in high range, too. That's a lot of faith you put in that boy. I think every Irate member remembers being 10...pretty sure we all liked to go FAST! :laughing:

I bought my one son an LTZ50 that's sweet...even I enjoy riding it. My other son has a 90cc Arctic Cat. Depending on skill, your son could ride either. My youngest is NOT good enough for a 90cc. He's a MADMAN.

In the spring he'll tear out across the yard on that 50cc and just lay into doing endless donuts in the mud.

My 7 year old has a ttr50 (I'm trying to get him onto the next size up, but he likes his 50) the neighbor kid is also 7 and they have a 125 chicom quad. One day when it was still wet out, the realized they could do doughnuts around the burn pile area (about a 30' circle) they did that for HOURS. I think they lowered the ground level 8" :laughing:

I agree it is a big machine for a 10 yo, I only caught him in high once and I explained to him why he can’t go there.
my father bought a Sportsman 700 years ago for the maintenance crew and he wouldn’t even let them take it out of high on playing fields.
I was also looking at the Yamaha 450 4x4 being it is also physically smaller, but decided the 570 the way to go.
For the op, does your child ride on atvs with an adult now? If so, at 4 I would look at a 90 or 110 and just back the throttle off. My son out grew his 50 by the time he was 8.

I just bought my son a KTM 105 for his first bike. He is 10:eek:

His sister felt left out and I did t have money to buy her a quad, so I turned her loose with my Polaris outlaw 450 mxr :eek:

​​​​​​And they all ride the sportsman 850.

I just bought my son a KTM 105 for his first bike. He is 10:eek:

His sister felt left out and I did t have money to buy her a quad, so I turned her loose with my Polaris outlaw 450 mxr :eek:

​​​​​​And they all ride the sportsman 850.

Yup 10 year old rode my 800 so I could decide if he would fit that size machine. My wife has him driving her Ranger 1k around the ride too. Don’t want him to get older, but it will be nice me he is old enough to take the safety course in VT and we can go on trips, atv and snowmobile

go big or go home,:flipoff2:

kenny-brink.jpg

I started on a Honda Fourtrax 125 when I was about 8. I got a Polaris Xplorer 300 4x4 when I was 10 or 11. It was a 2 stroke and would stomp the Sportsman 500s we had. Not sure how much faster the 570s are. But that 2 stroke would get with it especially since I was a little guy I doubt I weighed 65lbs at the time. I never got limited on throttle or speed but I was pretty darn experienced by that time. I probably had 10k miles of experience before I got the 300. I would ride full throttle all over the pastures, sandbars, trails and dirt roads also full throttle launchs off terraces, bluffs and sand banks. I only ever rolled it once and I was probably 13-14 at the time. I was doing donuts on a river sandbar and dug down to wet sand and it caught and flipped instantly. It threw me away from it. I couldn’t flip it back over so I got it onto its side but couldn’t get it on all four. I ran back home about a half mile away and my dad knew something was wrong when he saw me without the fourwheeler.

What I am getting at is it does not matter how fast or slow it is if your kid knows what he is doing he will be ok. If not he could get hurt. Also no matter how good of a kid they are the second they are out of sight they will run 5th gear pinned.

One thing with a big fourwheeler Is they are heavy. If they roll it it could kill them if It lands on them. My 300 was around 450-500lbs. I think the Sportsmans were closer to 750 they are real pigs.

I started on a Honda Fourtrax 125 when I was about 8. I got a Polaris Xplorer 300 4x4 when I was 10 or 11. It was a 2 stroke and would stomp the Sportsman 500s we had. Not sure how much faster the 570s are. But that 2 stroke would get with it especially since I was a little guy I doubt I weighed 65lbs at the time. I never got limited on throttle or speed but I was pretty darn experienced by that time. I probably had 10k miles of experience before I got the 300. I would ride full throttle all over the pastures, sandbars, trails and dirt roads also full throttle launchs off terraces, bluffs and sand banks. I only ever rolled it once and I was probably 13-14 at the time. I was doing donuts on a river sandbar and dug down to wet sand and it caught and flipped instantly. It threw me away from it. I couldn’t flip it back over so I got it onto its side but couldn’t get it on all four. I ran back home about a half mile away and my dad knew something was wrong when he saw me without the fourwheeler.

What I am getting at is it does not matter how fast or slow it is if your kid knows what he is doing he will be ok. If not he could get hurt. Also no matter how good of a kid they are the second they are out of sight they will run 5th gear pinned.

One thing with a big fourwheeler Is they are heavy. If they roll it it could kill them if It lands on them. My 300 was around 450-500lbs. I think the Sportsmans were closer to 750 they are real pigs.
they are big and heavy, why you don’t launch them. I agree with the once you are out of sight it’s hammer down.
I do my best to make sure he is safe, there have been a few unfortunate accidents around here that keep me on edge.

Get him a dirt bike and apparently a new wife for yourself:flipoff2:

The most important part of learning how to ride anything, is learning how to crash. A dirt bike is going to be way safer to learn on than a quad. A quad will have him going in little circles faster, be he will not have learned anything. And that's where they get hurt.

A dirt bike with training wheels allows him to learn how to balance at slower speeds. A quad doesn't do that, it just spits the little fella off and rolls over him at much higher speeds.

Top Back Refresh