What's new

Asuna Rustrunner

Good plan.

You going to try and find some SxS take off shocks?

I had thought about getting airshocks about 2" longer than I needed, and making them into struts. :laughing: I figured the giant shaft would hold up fine in one of these. Upper a arm would probably be way better though.

Also, fwiw, if you aren't going to build lower a arms at the same time. The 99+ A arms should move the tire forward and make it a little wider at the same time. Might have to make some cv spacers.

Good plan.

You going to try and find some SxS take off shocks?

I had thought about getting airshocks about 2" longer than I needed, and making them into struts. :laughing: I figured the giant shaft would hold up fine in one of these. Upper a arm would probably be way better though.

Also, fwiw, if you aren't going to build lower a arms at the same time. The 99+ A arms should move the tire forward and make it a little wider at the same time. Might have to make some cv spacers.

was looking at running the QA1 coil overs as they are about half the price of Fox coilovers. they have adjusters on them and you can get shim kits and rebuild kits. i feel like they would be a better option then sxs take offs as cant seem to find much as far as rebuild parts ect

will use the stock lowers, might just plate them as i like the idea of using off the shelf part for this if going to do it cheap. plus will have spares now

was looking at running the QA1 coil overs as they are about half the price of Fox coilovers. they have adjusters on them and you can get shim kits and rebuild kits. i feel like they would be a better option then sxs take offs as cant seem to find much as far as rebuild parts ect

will use the stock lowers, might just plate them as i like the idea of using off the shelf part for this if going to do it cheap. plus will have spares now

If you just want cheap, I'd look at air shocks, 6" travel should be plenty and well under $300 ea. No fucking with swapping coils for the right rate either.

I also have some fox coilovers for a tacoma 4runner I would consider selling for very cheap. Only thing would be that they have the typical 3 bolt strut mount top instead of a hiem.

Stock lowers will probably be fine, but you'll probably have to do serious firewall clearance. Moving the tire forward and inch really helps.

The only shitty thing about the 99+ lowers is they're all 1 piece forged/cast? With the ball joint. The good thing is that you can get a whole a arm from the parts store.

was thinking air shocks but after looking at the QA1 street coil overs im leaning towards them. can get a 6.5 travel coil over for $200us each and coils are in the 60-70 range.

I have thought about using a 07-10 explorer rear diff, to build a centered front A-arm setup. You can get 5.71 gears for them, but they are $$$. Of course a 9" might be a better option, but the cost would be offset. If one could figure out a portal setup, could use stock explorer takeouts for a cheap longer travel setup.

i like the idea of the irs 8.8 as a centered diff but kinda goes against the idea of this build as cheap and simple is the name of the game now

got this home now. will have to clean it up and finish stripping i then start swapping parts over

JFYsMCOKKweJgA8NP4XUJ7J-igVxx5enR_J6jvnWucHA=w2400.jpg

If you just want cheap, I'd look at air shocks, 6" travel should be plenty and well under $300 ea. No fucking with swapping coils for the right rate either.
wonder how air shocks would work on the front ifs. found specs saying the front stock coils are in the 400 pound area, feel like that would be maxing out a 2.0 air shock, even a bit much for a 2.5

wonder how air shocks would work on the front ifs. found specs saying the front stock coils are in the 400 pound area, feel like that would be maxing out a 2.0 air shock, even a bit much for a 2.5

The stock coil mounts are almost in the middle of the a arm where the strut has no mechanical advantage mounted to the knuckle.

As long as you don't make the shock mounts in the middle of the a arm, they will be fine.

You could also do the trick that the early toyota ifs guys do, run the stock coils with the air shocks to supplement.

got the baby v treads home now as i had lent them to a friend to run at the race

they are a bit bigger then the 31x10.50R15s that are on the rustrunner and about the same height as a 265/70R17

t-QvCSrDb3nZ6GfwXeLat5KKQiSXJEYJXrtS1foVGeGQ=w2400.jpg

tx1_484YHlc3wKIfl_T-epfd1t0A_9vxeaTFT2xPuDaA=w2400.jpg

FuCkhHGRSL_u6G5Q9SJyRLDO7OGjdrSirpHh8APweqaw=w2400.jpg

W08vdUB7QlhNFJOLGKVBBDp7gx6jSOgzY2UP8PNQwX0g=w2400.jpg

IMG_20211004_102425_01.jpg

Want these? They're for a early tacoma ifs, so spring rate might be close-ish.

They need a little love, but I'd sell them cheap.

Want these? They're for a early tacoma ifs, so spring rate might be close-ish.

They need a little love, but I'd sell them cheap.

i just cheaped out and ordered new stuts, shocks and coils for this pos. was able to get all that new for less then the price of 1 coilover so will run the cheap shit for now and see how much i like this rig before dropping money on fancy stuff for it. went with the longer car struts, and explorer coils for the front to replace the spacers it currently has. also got zj rear coils and E150 shocks for the back, from my reading all that is good for 2" of lift.

i just cheaped out and ordered new stuts, shocks and coils for this pos. was able to get all that new for less then the price of 1 coilover so will run the cheap shit for now and see how much i like this rig before dropping money on fancy stuff for it. went with the longer car struts, and explorer coils for the front to replace the spacers it currently has. also got zj rear coils and E150 shocks for the back, from my reading all that is good for 2" of lift.

God damn it, I have a pair of those Monte Carlo or whatever struts I've been trying to give to a good home :laughing:

I'd do $100+ shipping for the fox coilovers BTW. That's what I paid.

God damn it, I have a pair of those Monte Carlo or whatever struts I've been trying to give to a good home :laughing:

I'd do $100+ shipping for the fox coilovers BTW. That's what I paid.

i ordered the struts off rockauto and was $30 each, then that again in shipping :laughing: but still cheaper then getting local :shaking:

the shipping for me would be killer on those. if im ever able to come back to the states and you still got them we will talk :beer:

i ordered the struts off rockauto and was $30 each, then that again in shipping :laughing: but still cheaper then getting local :shaking:

the shipping for me would be killer on those. if im ever able to come back to the states and you still got them we will talk :beer:

Is the border crossing the killer? I'm only 30 Mins from the border, can I toss them over? :flipoff2:

It's dumb that it's expensive, I don't think we're that far away as the crow flies, vs the rest of the lower 48 at least.

its crazy getting stuff shipped. i remember buying some high angle ujoints off a member on the old site. he sold me 3 for the price of 2 and said he would pay shipping, he lost money on the deal :lmao:

even buying the sturts and shocks off rock auto the parts and the shipping where almost the same price :barf: but even then it was still cheaper then buying 2 struts at the local parts store

I saw the exchange rate is drastically not in the Canuck’s favor either. Was looking at some parts from Altered Ego and it was $100 cheaper USD than CAD.

I saw the exchange rate is drastically not in the Canuck’s favor either. Was looking at some parts from Altered Ego and it was $100 cheaper USD than CAD.
we are llike 25-28 cents on the US dollar right now. not great but better then is used to be

bought a used set of 16x7 black D window wheels last night for the vtreads as not able to run the explorer wheels if keeping the stock diffs

is there a longer wheel stud for these things? the seem really short and i need a 1/2" spacer in the front as the 31s rub the frame as fulll lock

did you order the newer lower control arms as well?
Front or rear?

going to use the stock lowers as ball joints and bushings are cheap for them. will build new stronger rear lowers as bent the stock one pretty bad at the race. will do bushing at the frame and and a 7/8 heim at the diff

The front lowers I think they move everything ahead

ToyaAtie was talking about them but said i might run into issues with the CV axles not fitting if i swap ? would be tempted to take an extra set of stock arms and cut the bushings off and move them if need the extra clearance

did come across this on the old site. guy cut up an inner left shaft and made it work on a right side stub, said it let him run 2 left bolt on cv axles. never did see it finished or if it even worked but kinda a good idea that might have to play around with as have spare parts now

EYCfvUaO5_j6lgvu3PrGcLbENWiTBHfR7-odxJ-Qbp2w=w2400.jpg

R0xox57XSHDCQ8bjaKhTs2IcI--8tTHQ33CVAwFuTKLA=w2400.jpg

That's an excellent idea. My passenger side circlip broke and fell into the housing upon removal. Not the end of the world but still sucked to deal with.

Thats half of the "Hagen mod". You will need to move the lower control arm mounting point, at the chassis out, as modding the stub shaft does make it longer...
Definitely worth it tho. Axle changes are a breeze.

Top Back Refresh