What's new

Are teachers actually working harder?

Andrew

Resident Redneck
Member Number
I have several friends who are teachers. Ever since this whole Corona shut down, all they seem to do is bitch and moan about how their jobs are not what they signed up to do (remote learning) and how hard it is now.

Last school year though, the one teacher friend spent about 1/4 of the day "remote teaching" and the remaining day working at the family store?

My son had a "class" that all he was required to do was make a zoom call with the classmates and teacher for approx 7-10 min?

Im not really understanding what the problem is as teachers go from what I see?

Most teachers I have met/known have the typical "teacher" attitude/mentality, so I get that this is where most of the complaining is probably coming from, but personally it seems like a mighty fine time to be a teacher work load wise.

Any IBB teachers here swamped with new work from the new schedules?

One of my friends works IT and teaches a few classes at a middle and high school. He's been working harder simply because there's more demand on IT and teaching shit over video-conferencing requires different planning work that he didn't have to do before. Any teacher who's trying to do their job same as before should be working harder but being IT guy and with the kind of visibility that permits I trust him a lot when he says those kind of people are in the minority.

A lot (maybe most) of the teachers in our district use the same curriculum every year, with minor changes. They roll into a freshly cleaned classroom every fall with very little setup to do, and hit the ground running. With having to adapt their curriculum to the 3 options, (all in class, all online, hybrid of the 2), and having to incorporate cleaning and distancing requirements, they have had to put a lot of planning time in over the last month. I did notice this spring that according to social media many of them were enjoying the extra 3 months off paid...

A lot (maybe most) of the teachers in our district use the same curriculum every year, with minor changes. They roll into a freshly cleaned classroom every fall with very little setup to do, and hit the ground running. With having to adapt their curriculum to the 3 options, (all in class, all online, hybrid of the 2), and having to incorporate cleaning and distancing requirements, they have had to put a lot of planning time in over the last month. I did notice this spring that according to social media many of them were enjoying the extra 3 months off paid...

Pretty much this. My wife is a teacher, and she got paid to barely work in the spring, but with everything being new along with this hybrid half in class half at home, she is working a good bit more than usual. I think once they get in a few weeks of this new way of doing things it may get smoother, but who knows they may change the game a few more times. That seams to be the most frustrating part, is that they keep changing what they are going to do.

I have several good friends who are public school teachers...Not more work but more frustration over online teaching kids who's parents don't give a shit and being in class with Covid rules.
Many older teachers are retiring earlier...this does save money as new teachers make a lot less...

Around here teachers were off from late march till late August. They are off every holiday, fall break, spring break, a week or so for Thanksgiving and Christmas, weekends and the moment the flu season hits they will close school for awhile. Hell they close or 2 to 3 hours late if it's too cold.

now I will agree that having to deal with someone's bratty crouch fruit that are just angels is not something I'd want to do but....its not like alot of time has to be put into it.

try dealing with the same assholes 10 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week....all fucking year.

No but they are complaining a ton. Teaching is not a hard job, its not more noble than anything else. No stress, TONS of vacation, summers off, great hours, you can't get fired unless you commit a felony and for all that you get shit pay. They chose the benefits over the pay.

In NY they get handed a booklet of tear off sheets for their grade level. Then they just use the tear off sheet lessons, tear off sheet home work, tear off sheet tests... and the state gives them an answer key. It's really sad. E learning in NY was sending the kids home with the tear off sheet book, having an optional zoom for 20 min once a week, blaming covid, blaming the parents and passing every kid.

Seriously, fuck teachers.

There are plenty of great teachers out there working hard and god speed to them. But the vast majority of them are cantankerous bitches who are convincing the entire nation that the government provided public school experiment is a total failure at this point. Every where you look, every school system has put out surveys and almost unanimously the parents want the kids to go back to in-class teaching and in complete inverse the public school teachers all want to keep their fat asses at home doing stupid fucking zoom teaching.

Anyone trying to convince me that doing zoom classes is harder than showing up to work and having to deal with twenty seven 8 year olds is a bald faced fucking liar. Seriously, go to fucking work you god damn whiny lazy pieces of shit so everyone else can go to work.

My sentiments exactly. Fuck um.

Our school board is a disaster, all the smaller schools have opened up and are mostly in class for weeks now. The district my wife works for keeps pushing back the start date and changes how its going to be done every week. Now it looks like they are going to have to teach in class and online simultaneously. She still hasn't been able to contact about half her parents. They just wont answer the phone or call her back.

Is she working harder now? yes. could a lot of it be eliminated if the school board would make a decision and stick by it? absolutely.

She and all her teacher friends want to go in a teach, they just aren't being allowed to.

We're doing in class, The issue we are running into is parents don't seem to understand the no tolerance policy on any obvious symptoms allowed, So a kid comes in sick, has contact with the personnel, then the kid AND the personnel get sent home for a 2 week quarantine. This leaves the remaining personnel short handed to cover more kids. I know that available subs are nonexistent around here. I'm not sure if the work is harder, but it's not how they were trained and always done it. Frustration with ever changing rules from the State is high, and do to forced distancing, it is way less fun for the kids, making them less receptive to learning. Sucky deal all around.

I have several good friends who are public school teachers...Not more work but more frustration over online teaching kids who's parents don't give a shit

It think that their perception is wrong. I see how they get it but its just inaccurate. If there are two parents in the home then they work, if there is one parent then they work. So all these kids are with a sitter, grandma, neighbor, parent(s) who are working from home, friend, home alone, etc. And IF they don't have internet and a decent computer the situation is even worse.

The kids are the ones getting screwed.
Parents are looking to professional educators to come up with an effective way to teach while looking at their school tax bills and shaking their heads.
Teachers are online bitching, waiting for the district to fix things and offering no good solutions to the problem while cashing a paycheck.

You can't hand parents the teachers job with the teachers material and expect them to successfully help while holding a full time job. Like many families my wife and I busted our ass trying to replace the teachers and work remotely.

Seriously, fuck teachers.

There are plenty of great teachers out there working hard and god speed to them. But the vast majority of them are cantankerous bitches who are convincing the entire nation that the government provided public school experiment is a total failure at this point. Every where you look, every school system has put out surveys and almost unanimously the parents want the kids to go back to in-class teaching and in complete inverse the public school teachers all want to keep their fat asses at home doing stupid fucking zoom teaching.

Anyone trying to convince me that doing zoom classes is harder than showing up to work and having to deal with twenty seven 8 year olds is a bald faced fucking liar. Seriously, go to fucking work you god damn whiny lazy pieces of shit so everyone else can go to work.

I think most every parent in the US shares your frustration, however painting teachers with that broad of a brush is the same as the ACAB movement, another reason this country is fucked. Are all cops bastards? I dont think so. Are all teachers on TV news in picket lines displaying how scared they are to return back to work? I know this is not the case. I live in rural SC and my wife along with most of her teacher buddies are not scared to get back in a class room, and they are in a class room with kids, but they also in addition to that have to deal with the virtual lessons due to the A/B scheduling. So when the OP asked are teachers working harder, I dont think this can be answered with one answer for the entire country, as all regions are doing different things.

I have mad respect for good teachers because I could never do it. With half a class being nasty entitled little bastards who have no respect for adults or were never taught how to be respectful. Then some teachers are just shit. As far as online teaching if kids are unruly during class mute them and give them a D. Parents have a responsibility not to raise little assholes. Shitty teachers should be fireable. My kids had great teachers and shitty ones but we knew who they were and were involved. Their best one was the robotics teacher who had been in the navy. He got them interested in his rate and now one is doing TS shit in god knows where. I appreciate that teacher every day.

This online learning for little kids has got to stop because they need to be in school for all the other things they learn interacting with other kids and adults.

All cops aren't bastards and all teachers aren't shit.

You guys must live in states with screwed up teachers unions. They fired one of our special ed teachers this summer for a facebook post.

I think it's hard to do it without someone putting in the difficult work of documentation. Blatant stuff is easier.

You must not spend much time on facebook.

the whole system needs to burn.

I spend zero time on Facebook and dont have a facebook account.

If Americans dont quit putting all people from one Job, race, political belief, religion, etc in the same camp when they are saying Fuck that group because (fill in the blank), we are in for some real bad shit to go down in this nation.

Every teacher who has only ever been a teacher complains how much work it is, how bad teachers have it. Everyone I know who worked in industry and went into teaching talks about how easy it is and all their side businesses they have with the freedom of schedule.

Those who can do
Those who could manage
Those who can't teach

I think it's hard to do it without someone putting in the difficult work of documentation. Blatant stuff is easier.

She shared a post that basically said replace white with black and everything BLM stands for is super racists.

She was fired for being racist, she was a white women with 2 half black kids, working at a school with 95% black students. That just screams racist.

I am a high school American history teacher. I am teaching in the "distance learning" model. I do not like it. I want my students in the class with me. I choose to work each day from my class room, my wife (1st grade) does the same. Admittedly, the spring was a joke and it was frustrating for me. To answer the OP's question: My wife and I are working longer hours. It is not the content, it is the technology platforms. I am an "old school" style teacher. I teach in the classroom, my students use paper and pens, I interact with them. Now, I live stream every day, every period (my choice as I am only required to be "live" twice a week). The process of transfering my "in class" content to the digital platform (and trying to make it meaningful) is time consuming. I am not complaining about the hours or the effort. It is what the job currently requires and I willingly put in the effort. My students (and their parents) deserve it. My students are independent enough to handle the responsibilty of this learning model. The students my wife teaches need the constant support of their parents. Both of us have admiration and empathy for the parents and the impact it is having on them and their children.

Most of teachers in my history department despise this teaching model and want our students back in class with us. The narrative presented in the media is horid. Union spokesholes spew fear and and resistance (IMHO).

We teach in the IE of SoCal.

She shared a post that basically said replace white with black and everything BLM stands for is super racists.

She was fired for being racist, she was a white women with 2 half black kids, working at a school with 95% black students. That just screams racist.

This sucks for her. I keep my named social media private to very few people and most are like minded. I have this former coworker who stills wears the badge and is gay, but he is the biggest Trump supporting dude on social media. Half the shit he posts makes me think he has balls the size of volkswagons to do it. I'm glad I'm retired and answer to no one but my other half.

If Americans dont quit putting all people from one Job, race, political belief, religion, etc in the same camp when they are saying Fuck that group because (fill in the blank), we are in for some real bad shit to go down in this nation.

Good point. So how do we stop it? Democrat leaders AND the Media thrive off putting people in a box. The gay pride flag, MLK flag, trump flag and American flag on our pole really bothers and confuses people. They point, whisper, look shocked, etc.. they can't figure out which box to put us in.

It depends.

My wife is working harder, because my wife is a worker.

My sister is now, this year working, harder because the demands of the job changed (part of her duties include creating class schedules and with virtual learning, in person learning, kids switching in between programs, etc.) BUT the end of last year, she most definitely was not.

It's like any other job, the slacker are going to slack off, and the workers are going to work.

This sucks for her. I keep my named social media private to very few people and most are like minded.

She posted a pic of her holding the pink AR I built her and I lost it. She was pissed that I made her take it down. About a week later a teacher was in the news for posting pics of herself at a gun range, or something similar. I don't think she really got it until then.

No stress, TONS of vacation, summers off, great hours, you can't get fired unless you commit a felony and for all that you get shit pay. They chose the benefits over the pay.

This is HIGHLY location-dependent. In El Paso, TX, the lowest-paying school district's starting pay for a first-year teacher is 108% of the median household income for the city. Not individual income, but HOUSEHOLD income.

And they still bitch continuously about the pay. SMH.

The hardest part for me is dealing with all this new technology being thrown at us. My district is using a platform called Canvas, which we had 2 days of training in before school started...and that was not enough. There is SO much to it and so many things you can do in it, making it really complex. Now that I have kind of learned the basics, it is not so bad..

I have 4 one hour zoom meetings a day, one meeting for each class. Normally my classes are an hour and a half long, so I have to go back through all my lesson plans, lectures, assignments, projects etc. and re-vamp EVERYTHING. Zoom has been a bit of a PITA...but again, the more I use it the easier it gets. We also have to use a platform called "Clever" and a complete other system for our attendance.

Long story short: A first it was really overwhelming, but now as I am getting a hold of it, I actually kind of like it.

Not a teacher, but my son just started teaching high school. Imagine starting a job, diong things that are being done in a way that they have never really been done before. He is also teaching spanish, so it needs to be more interactive with the students. After the first couple of weeks, he is getting in the swing of teaching via zoom. Hates it, is a bit of a justice warrior so is scared of the Rona, even though he is 25 and in one of the lowest risk groups there is. He does want to go back to class, and have classes in person. He also does hate CANVAS, because he says there is a lot of functionality for the students, and not much for the teachers.

Good point. So how do we stop it? Democrat leaders AND the Media thrive off putting people in a box. The gay pride flag, MLK flag, trump flag and American flag on our pole really bothers and confuses people. They point, whisper, look shocked, etc.. they can't figure out which box to put us in.

well I'd say the first step is to stop thinking that it's just democrats and liberals painting with broad brushes.

both "sides" of the aisle at the top thrive on division, fear is the single greatest motivator to gain support in the electorate these days.

they play heels and heroes in the media, and then they all go behind closed doors and have drinks and count money together.
American politics is nothing more than pro wrestling theater at this point.

and the media likes drama because they need ratings to sell advertising. so obviously they push all of it, on both sides.

Top Back Refresh