What's new

ARB Tech Support WTF... "Rant"

Schmozilla

P4x4 2004-2020
Member Number
<rant>

So, I bought a CJ-7 with a narrow 70's CJ-5 D44. Its narrow AF, so the PO put on some big gay wheel spacers, like three inches. As luck would have it I found a rare 1986 CJ-7 D44 housing at a local 4x4 shop and began swapping the ARB and gears into it.

This ARB was a bit odd, and what I was seeing didn't match the current install manual, so I called ARB tech support.

Long story short, after giving the guy the serial number, he comes back with "That unit is pretty old, likely early 90's and we don't have parts for them any more, I suggest you buy a new one.

I told the guy that I don't need parts, I just need some information on the correct way to install it. He still comes back with "We don't support those any more, they are pretty old, your best best is to buy a new one.

I mean come on WTF? It's old so I should buy a new one? Can't even find someone at ARB that knows WTF I have and can give me some guidance?

If I ever break this one and need parts, I guess I will be buying a new locker, just won't be an ARB.

I guarantee is I call Eaton with serial #1 Detroit locker they can fucking tell me something about it other that, "Yep thats pretty old, buy a new one"

</rant>

Carry on

:flipoff2:

He probably didnt want to help you, then find himself on the hook for a new ARB to you when it wasn't installed correctly and broke.

He probably didnt want to help you, then find himself on the hook for a new ARB to you when it wasn't installed correctly and broke.

It's not like they don't have the install manual for the old model on file somewhere.

Could have been our local ARB shop here.

The staff at this particular store are the best advetisement for the stores in other areas.

The local ARB's service and attitude gives all of ARB a bad rep

Never been a huge fan, curly fries are near the bottom of the hierarchy of fries. What's the deal with Horsey Sauce anyway, it's just mayo and horse radish?

Didn't know they were doing axle tech support now, COVID must have really hurt the roast beef supply?

Eaton will sell you new parts too, they’ll just cost more than actually buying a new one. Fuck those guys on their replacement parts prices.

that sucks, couldnt even try to point you in a direction to find help

hell, if it were me, i'd try to find out just to spice up my day

must get old to just tell people to buy a new one:homer:

<rant>

So, I bought a CJ-7 with a narrow 70's CJ-5 D44. Its narrow AF, so the PO put on some big gay wheel spacers, like three inches. As luck would have it I found a rare 1986 CJ-7 D44 housing at a local 4x4 shop and began swapping the ARB and gears into it.

This ARB was a bit odd, and what I was seeing didn't match the current install manual, so I called ARB tech support.

Long story short, after giving the guy the serial number, he comes back with "That unit is pretty old, likely early 90's and we don't have parts for them any more, I suggest you buy a new one.

I told the guy that I don't need parts, I just need some information on the correct way to install it. He still comes back with "We don't support those any more, they are pretty old, your best best is to buy a new one.

I mean come on WTF? It's old so I should buy a new one? Can't even find someone at ARB that knows WTF I have and can give me some guidance?

If I ever break this one and need parts, I guess I will be buying a new locker, just won't be an ARB.

I guarantee is I call Eaton with serial #1 Detroit locker they can fucking tell me something about it other that, "Yep thats pretty old, buy a new one"

</rant>

Carry on

:flipoff2:

You bought some old junk from someone that is not ARB, and you want them to spend time (money) helping you out?

Never been a huge fan, curly fries are near the bottom of the hierarchy of fries. What's the deal with Horsey Sauce anyway, it's just mayo and horse radish?

Didn't know they were doing axle tech support now, COVID must have really hurt the roast beef supply?

Curly fries are almost as bad as sweet potato fries or those thick fries with the skin on them. I'm not paying anybody money that is so goddamned lazy they can't even peel a fucking potato. If I go to a restaurant, my potatoes better be peeled.

Horsey sauce is the bomb though, so are plain roast beefs from Arby's.

My wife loves ARBY's only problem is the closest is 30 minutes away....:rolleyes:

Unsure of the model, Its in a D44 with 30 splines.

The main question is:

Am I supposed to drill a hole in the bearing cap for the air tube to pass through. The original setup was done this way, it seems that it will have to be this way in the new setup. The instruction manual I have found shows a different type of air ring to snake the tube to the side.

I was told that I am not supposed to have to drill a hole in the cap and something is not right.

Is there a modern type air ring that will fit this locker?

-Chris

Glad to see you made it over here.

About 8 years ago you helped a poor schmo source some obsolete gears for a rare Nissan ARB just as I was getting into racing.
I still race that car, swapped the axle though.

I owe you some beers :beer::beer::beer:

Unsure of the model, Its in a D44 with 30 splines.

The main question is:

Am I supposed to drill a hole in the bearing cap for the air tube to pass through. The original setup was done this way, it seems that it will have to be this way in the new setup. The instruction manual I have found shows a different type of air ring to snake the tube to the side.

I was told that I am not supposed to have to drill a hole in the cap and something is not right.

Is there a modern type air ring that will fit this locker?

-Chris

The old 3 piece design you do have to drill the bearing cap. Don't worry, It's easy to do.

I'll look to see if I have a set of RD06 instructions to send over.

The newer 2 piece design has the air collar on the other end and it does sneak out around the bearing cap.

No newer air collar (ARB calls it a Seal Housing).

Glad to see you made it over here.

About 8 years ago you helped a poor schmo source some obsolete gears for a rare Nissan ARB just as I was getting into racing.
I still race that car, swapped the axle though.

I owe you some beers :beer::beer::beer:

Sweet, glad to hear you are still racing! Keep at it and one of these days we'll have that beer. :beer:

The old 3 piece design you do have to drill the bearing cap. Don't worry, It's easy to do.

The newer 2 piece design has the air collar on the other end and it does sneak out around the bearing cap.

As always Tim, Props for helping out the ARB community.

I have a Bridgeport, the hole is no issue, just wondering is its correct. This entire jeep was build with a "well that's good enough attitude"

Slight adjustment

Left out a 0 between the 3 and 1

Makes no difference.

First two number are the year it was built: 00 = 2000

Next two digits are the month of build: 03 = March

The remainder signifies it's position off the assembly line: 0100 = 100th locker off the assembly line (in March of 2000).

:cool2:

I have a Bridgeport, the hole is no issue, just wondering is its correct. This entire jeep was build with a "well that's good enough attitude"

That'll work, though a hand drill will be easier... :laughing:

Sometimes you end up making a notch from the side and the mill would be handy for that.

Set the Air Locker up and get it real close to final, measure over to the airline from the side of the housing. Then reinstall the bearing cap, measure over, mark the cap and drill away.
Make sure to chamfer the underside of the hole where it will go up against the air collar to clear any solder around the copper line. I like to chamfer the top of the hole to so the copper line isn't up against a hard edge.
Also use a drill bit a couple sizes larger than the copper line, give it plenty of room.

I bought an old ARB for a Dana 30 too. It looked odd with the tube passing though the cap. I was lucky and found someone at ARB to help. I ended up notching the cap for the tube. I have been running it since 2017 and it still works great. 1st pic is the original set up, 2nd pic is how I set it up. I have a PDF manual for the RD30 if it is similar.
Click image for larger version  Name:	20170113_182438.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.7 KB ID:	58883
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
Click image for larger version  Name:	20170116_141535.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.2 KB ID:	58884
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Last edited:
I once called eaton about parts for a non c clip d35 detroit.

they told me they didn't have any and couldn't help me.
so :flipoff2:

Eaton will sell you new parts too, they’ll just cost more than actually buying a new one. Fuck those guys on their replacement parts prices.

I believe that's the auto industry standard.

Ever price just a shaft from RCV? damn near the cost of a whole front set.

I called superchips the other day because i broke a screen on a tuner. Was told they no longer support that model. I asked why i can still buy it new from superchips online. Crickets... we no longer support that model.

fucking clowns. this is why i buy everything used, customer support sucks so bad i cant imagine paying 2x+ the price for a bullshit warranty.

I believe that's the auto industry standard.

Ever price just a shaft from RCV? damn near the cost of a whole front set.

I called superchips the other day because i broke a screen on a tuner. Was told they no longer support that model. I asked why i can still buy it new from superchips online. Crickets... we no longer support that model.

fucking clowns. this is why i buy everything used, customer support sucks so bad i cant imagine paying 2x+ the price for a bullshit warranty.

It's the industry industry standard.

I wrote Coast LEDs the other day, asking about parts for one of their flashlights. Got this BS:

"Hello, first off our products are manufactured overseas. We only stock certain parts for certain flashlights. We would not be able to assist you. The LED's are not removable as well so they would not be able to be changed out."

Top Back Refresh