What's new

AR-15 in 7.62x39 questions...

What are the main causes for fte?....I bought a dedicated upper the the steel case sticks about every 30 to 40 rounds...sometimes b2b...then runs fine for 2 mags ?....bought the complete upper from midway iirc

What are the main causes for fte?....I bought a dedicated upper the the steel case sticks about every 30 to 40 rounds...sometimes b2b...then runs fine for 2 mags ?....bought the complete upper from midway iirc
The failures I speak of only concern my dedicated .22LR upper on that particular registered SBR lower. So far, I have not experienced ANY failures with the 7.62x39 upper (also a short barrel upper, hence using the same lower) AFTER replacing the low power hammer spring with a mil-spec spring because of the hard primered steel cased Red Army. My 7.62x39 handloads, however, are not 100%. They simply are not hot enough for an AR gas system (short stroke) but cycle all my Romy parts builds 100%.

On mine, it had some feeding issues when it was new. It was sent it back to the manufacture (Olympic Arms, not the best I know) and they wallowed out the feed ramps. I got the upper used from a buddy who does three gun and it was too heavy for him. It has a .98" diameter stainless bull barrel, so it is heavy for a AR. I have never had a failure with it with several hundred rounds through it. I use it more than any other rifle I have because I have a lot of ammo for it, no other reason really.

I had a prior ak74 ar and I did have to change to the heavier hammer spring to fix the ftf.....

I'm having issues with the case sticking in the chamber...which takes a cleaning rod to get out....feels like the chamber is too tight??

I had Maxxtech ammo stick every time, I basically had to lightly mortar the charging handle to get it to unlock. It has run brass cased and Tula fine. Might try sticking a bore brush in a drill with some polishing compound and cleaning up the chamber. I wouldnt try to open up any dimensions though.

I run mostly Tula, but have run some Noriko steel cased ammo and mine feeds that fine as well.

Anyone had any luck recently in finding upper parts for 7.62x39?

My sks was stolen a few years back:mad3: and now I don't have anything to shoot my pile of 7.62x39 ammo.

Anyone had any luck recently in finding upper parts for 7.62x39?

My sks was stolen a few years back:mad3: and now I don't have anything to shoot my pile of 7.62x39 ammo.

The only three non-mil spec parts needed are the actual bolt, the barrel and a magazine. Everything else is just standard mil-spec AR stuff. When I finished my upper a few months back those are the only three parts I had to track down as I had the remainder. The bolt (even the entire BCG), surprisingly was not too difficult to source, a 16" barrel not so much. Not an issue for me as I was building the upper for a SBR. However, a quick search shows numerous 16" barrels in stock at a few sites. A standard stripped upper will work fine. Sometimes building the upper is cheaper, sometimes not, but it will be the configuration you desire. Choose a ASC (IIRC) mag, I have a DuraMag and it works but everyone tells me I just got lucky. Or... just unload your x39 on me to dispose of.

Note: An AR47 is decidedly unpleasant in the recoil dept. for me. A cheap mil-spec rear stock with no padding is brutal, a Limbsaver foam pad will be your friend :laughing:.

My 7.62x39 has no more recoil than my 5.56 one. It's different, but not any heavier. Maybe you need a different recoil spring.

My 7.62x39 has no more recoil than my 5.56 one. It's different, but not any heavier. Maybe you need a different recoil spring.
Remember what spring you're using?

The recoil from mine is significantly more than my other AR’s in 5.56 or .300 Blackout, however I have shot other (overgassed) 5.56 AR’s that have been about the same.

I‘m using a Springo blue (extra power) buffer spring, as I was concerned about it being able to strip the tapered, steel cased rounds from a full mag, plus the feed ramp angle is steeper.

I’m also using an H2 buffer as I found that the broken extractors (most common failure on 7.62x39 AR’s) are caused by the bolt unlocking before the spent case has had a chance to contract after firing, making it harder to remove. A heavier buffer delays this to keep it from happening.

The combination of those two things along with the lower pressure of the round means you need more gas to make it lock the bolt back on an empty mag reliably (one reason to shoot this over an AK :flipoff2:)

Mine is running an adjustable gas block, so it’s not an issue of just slapping parts together and it recoils how it wants to. I have a 16” carbine gas barrel.

Finally put an optic on this thing, a buddy of mine keeps sending photos of stuff like 6-8 coyotes and hogs in a single game camera picture.

It had been awhile since I’ve paid any attention to night vision stuff as everybody seems to talk about thermal these days, I remember all the Gen 1 and Gen 2 stuff supposedly being almost unusable for hunting.

There are now digital scopes out with surprising clarity for $500, so I picked up a Sightmark Wraith for it. Have messed with it in the day and night around the house but haven’t shot it yet. Had planned on going to the range tomorrow but one of our boys got sent home sick today.

BBCFC89B-14CA-4007-AE3B-80DA4A79FF91.jpeg

Dead Air Wolfman threads on it also, and the stock and grip hold extra batteries for the scope and IR illuminator, which is nice as it wasn’t something I’d planned on when I bought them.

Finally put an optic on this thing, a buddy of mine keeps sending photos of stuff like 6-8 coyotes and hogs in a single game camera picture.

It had been awhile since I’ve paid any attention to night vision stuff as everybody seems to talk about thermal these days, I remember all the Gen 1 and Gen 2 stuff supposedly being almost unusable for hunting.

There are now digital scopes out with surprising clarity for $500, so I picked up a Sightmark Wraith for it. Have messed with it in the day and night around the house but haven’t shot it yet. Had planned on going to the range tomorrow but one of our boys got sent home sick today.

BBCFC89B-14CA-4007-AE3B-80DA4A79FF91.jpeg

Dead Air Wolfman threads on it also, and the stock and grip hold extra batteries for the scope and IR illuminator, which is nice as it wasn’t something I’d planned on when I bought them.
I have the same on on mine.
It is spot on.

Top Back Refresh