What's new

Anyone used a incinerating toilet

slowlygettingthere

Member Number
Loc
cousinfuckingbama
Looking to go through our camper this fall for a trip out west next year. Would really love to get rid of the black tank. Anyone used on of the incinerating toilets? I know there are a couple different brands out there. Just trying to decide if it would be worth dropping the coin for.

tr-1.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	tr-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.0 KB ID:	47520

https://incinolet.com/product/model-wb/

We have a dry bath right now. Would really like to gain the extra floor space by converting it to a wet bath and get rid of the black tank all together. We would basically double the floor space inside by getting rid of the "big" bathroom and go with a small wet bath. Especially when I change it over to a flatbed instead of slide in.

seems like I have seen that vid somewhere. That one I posted above is expensive for something to just use the bathroom on. It would be worth it to not have to worry about having somewhere to dump the tanks.

Nothing really to add, but kind of a funny story. About 15 years ago or so those were gaining ground as an alternative to a holding tank on boats. I was at a boat show and a big bull dyke was working at the Incinolet booth when someone asked what happens when you forget to put the liner in, and she said "it's like pissin' in a hot skillet".

Dont want to pay 2 grand for something just to smell sewage all day.

This is puttin' it lightly sir. Nastiest fuckin' thangs ever invented.

Our comp'ny bought a dozen or so for some of our tugs and barges to try to get away from the USCG-approved MSD systems as a cost savin's move.

Crews quickly refused to use 'em and just started shittin' in 5-gallon buckets instead ... which got us in trouble with the USCG, USACE, and the labor union.

Comp'ny replaced ev'ry one of the damned thangs in just a few months.

FWIW, my Hallmark pop-up camper had a Thetford cassette toilet in it. Very sanitary, convenient solution to eliminatin' a black tank.

Or just shit in a 5-gallon bucket.

But do NOT get a shit burner!

This is puttin' it lightly sir. Nastiest fuckin' thangs ever invented.

Our comp'ny bought a dozen or so for some of our tugs and barges to try to get away from the USCG-approved MSD systems as a cost savin's move.

Crews quickly refused to use 'em and just started shittin' in 5-gallon buckets instead ... which got us in trouble with the USCG, USACE, and the labor union.

Comp'ny replaced ev'ry one of the damned thangs in just a few months.

FWIW, my Hallmark pop-up camper had a Thetford cassette toilet in it. Very sanitary, convenient solution to eliminatin' a black tank.

Or just shit in a 5-gallon bucket.

But do NOT get a shit burner!

I will use a cassette toilet before I will move the black tank. I just really wanted to get away from having to "dump" at all. I don't really love dumping the tank or anything but that isnt the reason why i'm trying so hard to get away from it. It's more of wanting to stay away from a household toilet longer than 4 or 5 days.

May have to try out one of these.

41QsZRBEQEL._SX300_QL70_.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	41QsZRBEQEL._SX300_QL70_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.8 KB ID:	48382

Last edited:
Voltage requirements? Guessing you either need to be hooked up or run a generator. I've never had a issue with the black water tank other than the hassle of finding a place to dump after boondocking.

I use a fold up shitter and the Double Doodie bags when I'm in a tent and they work great. Seal up nicely.

This is the one I have. Folds up nicely, but it's a tripod. When you lean to wipe it can get wobbly. Bucket ones work and are a little more stable, but more and larger to pack.
https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Pro...ilet&qid=1592941113&sr=8-4&tag=91812054244-20

I have a cassette toilet. Nobody has shit in it yet, but the idea was to avoid plumbing waste tanks into my 95% cargo trailer, 5% camper. You also don’t have to worry about it overflowing as the waste tank is the same size as the fresh water tank. No concerns about it freezing under the camper either. Just make the wife dump it down the gas station shitter while you’re filling up the rig. :flipoff2:

Might turn into a pain if you’re using it constantly and having to empty it every 2 days while on the road. We typically stay in state park campgrounds with facilities, or I’ll pee outside if we’re in the woods. It’s more of an emergency use while traveling with kids or for the wife in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
Haha I was just thinking about and posted about these last week on the book of faces shed to cabin group I'm in, Here is my story:

Back when I was little (70s) we lived in New Jersey and had summer house (4 room, 600 sq feet) on a lake it upstate NY.
It was built in the 1920s, and was originally designed as a summer only house.
Water was from a spring. If someone between you & the spring ran water, we had to wait. (cold water only).

We had snowmobiles and liked to use it during the winter. My father went as far as to install a door type window on the 2nd floor because the front door would get snowed in, as well as a super loud, over-sized propane furnace in the kitchen.
During the winter, due cold, there was no water. We could deal with the lack of running water, but my parents hated using the outhouse.
So, my father installed a propane powered toilet... aka "incinerating toilet".
I loved throwing TP in it, turning it on & then looking at the burning paper.

It had a tray on the bottom and we'd empty the ash every couple days.

We eventually installed a well, which gave us running water during winter after a day, but kept the toilet because we had a grey water leach field.

Sold it in 1982 (5 years after we moved) to fund a cabin in Arnold Ca.

Well we are looking at being on the road for 3 months give or take. From Bama to the rubicon. Northern Cali, Washington state, maybe even BC and some places in between. Then back home. Will be 3 of us too.

On voltage requirements on the shit burning toilet. Most only use power for the fan. On the wrapon toilet.

"The unit works on either 110 volts AC or 12 volts DC (a special 12 volt adapter is needed for this option). For those who prefer an outdoor off-grid setup, a 12 volt lithium-ion battery pack can also be purchased that lasts between 50 and 60 uses. Power consumption during operation is a little high at 120 watts (about 9.4 amps), but isn’t too bad when you consider how little the toilet is used during the day. "

m planning to have 800-1000 watts of solar with 300-400 amp hrs of lithium batteries. So should have electrical needs covered.

No but from what I hear 2BB used an incriminating toilet.

The last mine I was at had a couple, not sure how they compare to the household/ rv units. When someone "flushed" with the ventilation flow from where it was at you knew they just took a shit and got to smell burnt poop for a while. Not a pleasant experiance at all.

When someone "flushed" with the ventilation flow from where it was at you knew they just took a shit and got to smell burnt poop for a while. Not a pleasant experiance at all.

That sounds like a problem for everyone else in the campground :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh