What's new

anyone stopdrilled a crack in a windshield?

[486]

ugh, that guy again?
Member Number
Loc
pine city MN
got one I'm thinking on trying to fuck with

got a diamond burr and a cordless drill, figure I'll just drill until I smell the plastic layer then stop
might fill the hole with silicone or maybe epoxy, its on the inside layer so no big deal with water getting in there and freezing

car ain't worth a windshield, and there's a crack in the passenger's side that's headed toward where I actually look through while driving

Leave it alone. Trust me. You will make it worse.
well its getting worse on its own so worst I can do is fix it just good enough that I don't eventually get pissed enough to put full coverage on it just long enough to get a windshield put in it.

Keep it WET! Those baby diamond drills slick right off if they run dry.

I'd try drilling 1" in front of the crack, because any pressure from the drill will make it run...then you just have a o---o---o--- as you chase it across where you look!

Maybe super-light pressure and let the drill do the work will keep it from spreading?

What car is not worth a 200$ windshield?
I've had cracks in my $600 Grand Cherokee since the early 2000s...

No ticket, no problem.

And between the gravel and defroster heat, it's almost standard equipment here.

I’ve been using the do it yourself kits for years. Just use a razor blade or tack to knock out loose glass and follow the directions. Not 100% perfect finish, but they stop cracks from spreading. Our area has a bunch of caliche and gravel trucks, plus construction, so chipped windows are common.

Either live with the crack and accept that it’ll spread or pony up the $175 to have a new windshield installed. Drilling attempt has 99% odds of making It worse.

Every vehicle I own has a crack. Replaced the wife's windshield from a rock and be damned lasted like 4 weeks until she got another one.
So now, as long as it's not in line of sight, there's no law that says you have to fix it. It just becomes a personal issue.

But anywhere near right in front of the drivers seat gets a new one.

Every vehicle I own has a crack. Replaced the wife's windshield from a rock and be damned lasted like 4 weeks until she got another one.
So now, as long as it's not in line of sight, there's no law that says you have to fix it. It just becomes a personal issue.

But anywhere near right in front of the drivers seat gets a new one.
She follows too close:flipoff2:

I epoxied a washer to a crack on the inside once and it never spread. I've played around putting pressure on windshields trying to get cracks to go down instead of up or whatever, it's hard to aim them but I've tried, and I've had good experiences overall with the repair kits, all windshields get chips here more than most other places. Most windshields are 180 at the place I usually go so eventually they get replaced. I did try drilling once, I gave up since the bit I tried didn't work well.

Last edited:
FYI I've had several fixed through safe lite, they come to you, no money out of pocket from you, Ins would rather pay them $60 vs a new windshield.
Also a FYI, the last windshield I had replaced in my Ram was over $1200 so I don't know where you are finding them for $175 :flipoff2:

What vehicle? Some vehicles are cheaper than others to get a windshield replaced
02 jetta
Best to use a center punch first
funny you mention this
I looked it up on youtube and every fucking video is some dumbass making a little tiny divot with their drilling apparatus of choice, then taking a deck screw and hammering it in there as though it isn't just going to start a whole new spiderweb of cracks

there must be a copypasta floating around in a similar vein to those touchscreen phone "bathroom scale" apps that get idiots to stand on their thousand dollar (at the time) phones

Done plenty of chip repairs but never one on the inside :confused:
We had a tool that applied a vacuum to the chip and then filled it with an ultra low viscosity UV cured resin.
If you can find a resin thin enough that it will capillarise along the crack before curing then you might be able to slow it down. As for drilling I've replaced plenty of screens that had stop drilled cracks that had propagated from the hole but ymmv 🤷‍♂️

Cracks were always a replacement from our perspective but the local laws are such that if it was outside the wiper sweep no one gives a fuck and inside the wiper sweep is fine until annual inspection unless it's it's directly in front of the wheel.

Done plenty of chip repairs but never one on the inside :confused:
10' steel/lumber fits inside a jetta wagon with the hatch closed if you take the passenger side seats out
I got a little careless while unloading.

Why the fucks wrong with you people discouraging him? It’ll work great! Go ahead and do it.
that's the spirit!

10' steel/lumber fits inside a jetta wagon with the hatch closed if you take the passenger side seats out
I got a little careless while unloading.

At least you didn't do it closing the boot lid, changed plenty screens for people that did that :laughing:

well its getting worse on its own so worst I can do is fix it just good enough that I don't eventually get pissed enough to put full coverage on it just long enough to get a windshield put in it.

You don’t need full coverage insurance for a windshield.
Comprehensive insurance will cover it. Usually without a deductible.
Comprehensive is super cheap.

Depends on your policy. I pulled glass out of my progressive policy. They wanted $250 every 6 months for glass coverage. I've been replacing them myself for $150-200 every few years when they get bad enough.

Just because insurance offers something, doesn't make it worth it.

My sister's mustang was $850 at the dealer. She went to a guy that does just tint and glass, and he was able to do aftermarket for $250. Shop around and tell them it's cash with no paperwork.

Top Back Refresh