What's new

anyone recognize these bolt head markings?

dnsfailure

WHAT GEAR ARE YOU IN?
Member Number
Loc
Gilroy
Were holding the front leaf springs to the axle on my 33. I'm pretty sure they aren't original, but they are neat looking :-) Everything I've seen on the truck is grade 8 (with the "normal" grade 8 markings, 6 lines), so I'm assuming these are as well.

bolthead.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	bolthead.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.2 KB ID:	20429

Grade 8 bolts weren't used in 1930's cars at the most grade 5 but mostly grade 2.

Heads weren't marked as such back in the 1930's.

Mostly just flat without any indentaindentation or raised number or lines.

Were holding the front leaf springs to the axle on my 33. I'm pretty sure they aren't original, but they are neat looking :-) Everything I've seen on the truck is grade 8 (with the "normal" grade 8 markings, 6 lines), so I'm assuming these are as well.

Grade 8 bolts weren't used in 1930's cars at the most grade 5 but mostly grade 2.

Yeah, sorry I should have mentioned, the truck is not factory original, it's been restored/modified at least once (and I'm in the process of doing it over myself!). Whoever did the work on it before me put grade 8 bolts in EVERYTHING. Everything from the timing cover, to the license plate holder. EVERYTHING has grade 8, kinda neat :)

I'm hoping these aren't cheap import bolts, because they look so neat. 95% of the other bolts have the standard 6 mark pattern on them that I'm used to seeing.

Ive seen back in the day guys going to the expence of buying original bolts and rejecting the goodness of grade 8 because of judging at points events..

Insane But its their game and they pay to be judged for that little dash ornament.

Run a file across the shank of one and compare it's drag & damage to known graded bolts. If they're hard then reuse them. Hell is likely reuse them anyway since they're likely harder than the material on the hangers they're passing through.

Run a file across the shank of one and compare it's drag & damage to known graded bolts. If they're hard then reuse them. Hell is likely reuse them anyway since they're likely harder than the material on the hangers they're passing through.

Good idea! I'm not putting the leaf springs back on (going IFS), but I'm definitely keeping all the hardware that I remove (always do..)

Those were possibly made in India. Red dot of course. :flipoff2:

I'm sure it's some sort of disease... oh well. haha

My wife says it is and she says it like it's a bad thing. But women don't appreciate the finer things in life, like boxes and buckets full of old hardware and such that might come in useful some day.:rolleyes:

Top Back Refresh