What's new

Anyone Overland from their SXS?

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Kicking around the idea of an AR overland trip. Running the TAT from Helena over to Mulberry Mountain. The official trail runs from Helena to Summers but I know my tow rig and trailer would be safe at Mulberry.

Thought was to pick up a U-haul in Ozark and drive to Helena AR and run the TAT back to the truck. Most likely take 3 days doing it and camping out of the RZR. Wife won't camp anymore so would be just me and possibly some friends from AR. I have a roof rack, and home built rack off the rear of the cage, plus I could pull the passenger seat out as well if I needed to. I would just tent camp and river bathe for the trip. Buy a shower at Mulberry Mountain before the drive home so I don't smell up the truck too bad. lol

Anyone in the area interested in something like this?

Some buddies and I have been talking about something like this for quite a while. We have never done anything of the sort, usually just wheel and camp in a site like Disney or Krocks. I have a ranger crew with a roof rack and we would have at least one X3 and maybe even a new kawasaki 4 seater.

Sounds like a blast, what time of year?

I got the idea from someone on the RZR forum but not sure if he ever did the trip. He made one post on the forum back in Dec '21 about it and he never came back to the thread.

Hmm, just mapped it out loosely on the Ol' Google. Quite a trip.

Have you bought the Map?

I just sent a link to this thread to my buddies. Might be something we tackle in the fall or in the spring...

Ill bet even just starting in Beebe would be a good haul for 3 days...

I have not bought the map yet. it's only $8 so I should just buy it. not sure what file type they use for it? I have Avenza (free version), Lifetime Trailmaps, Maprika, and Ride Command on my tablet.

The trip would have to be next spring for me. I don't have any more PTO until Jan 1 when it renews. Some of the river crossings may be a little deep depending on Spring rainfall.

Where in KS are you located?

One of backchat's buddy here: This sounds awesome! We're located near Wichita. We've looked into some overlanding trails in the AR, MO area and found no shortage of gorgeous candidates. I'll have to take a closer look at the details above.

Welcome to the board cpep! now, beware, this is the kids glove area for the most part. wear your big boy panties for the rest of the forums...

Wades, we are in Wichita.

can we just call it camping. anyone camp out of their sxs?

sxs's have a bad enough rep, dont need the over lander stuff tagged on.

and i'm planning on camping and support for bikes, baja '23. our group goes down baja before the big race, not necessarily the race route, part of it maybe, meet up with fam and wifes for a week, then head back up. i'll add a roof rack, rear storage and gear for the trip. will probably have my van for support. one of the guys has an in with costco freight and get all the bikes shipped to the border and back afterwards. we would all drive my van down with 2 sxs's on trailer.

Wife and I have been contemplating. We've been watching Ridebdr.com on youtube and trying to make it work.
Too bad we're on the wrong side of the country and her schedule has her gone for the next 6 months

and i'm planning on camping and support for bikes, baja '23. our group goes down baja before the big race, not necessarily the race route, part of it maybe, meet up with fam and wifes for a week, then head back up. i'll add a roof rack, rear storage and gear for the trip. will probably have my van for support. one of the guys has an in with costco freight and get all the bikes shipped to the border and back afterwards. we would all drive my van down with 2 sxs's on trailer.
So you are going to Baja, and overlanding? :flipoff2:

after doing some more research it appears that to run the TAT in AR you have to be street legal.

So instead of doing the TAT route we (riding friends) and I are considering parking the trucks at Mulberry Mountain where we know they will be safe and just doing a 3-4 day loop thru the NF. Tent camping and coming back to the truck.

how the hell am I supposed to get all the likes on the 'Gram if I don't hashtag #overlanding :flipoff2:

Sounds interesting...might be something my son and I would be up for. I've got the big cabin at Mulberry Mountain reserved the last weekend of both Feb. and Mar. next year, we usually just run around there for 4-5 days. FWIW, getting these street legal is pretty easy...at least for us in OK.

Sounds interesting...might be something my son and I would be up for. I've got the big cabin at Mulberry Mountain reserved the last weekend of both Feb. and Mar. next year, we usually just run around there for 4-5 days. FWIW, getting these street legal is pretty easy...at least for us in OK.
I could do it with non resident SD plates but then I would have to deal with logistics of getting the SXSs hauled one way across the state then drive them back. Uhaul would be around $400 for one of their big trucks plus fuel. Time is my biggest constraint, I only get two week of vacation a year with the new job and it sucks. I will get another week in May '24 and I am really looking forward to that.

Driving down after work on Thursday and coming back on Sunday would be 3 nights and two and a half days camping/riding. Might have to plan something before it gets too cold this year.

Anyone interested in joining for an AR Overland Trip next May? I am thinking Memorial Day week. Currently the idea is to park the truck/trailer at Mulberry Mountain where it will be safe(r) and roam around the National Forest for several days.

Saw some guys overlanding 3 Can Am's last year in the UP. Looked fun!

So we have decided to go ahead with this. Plan is to park the trucks/trailers at Byrd's and venture into the NF for a few days.
May 26-29th. Arrive on Friday afternoon and head out, camping three nights and come back to the trucks on Monday morning for the trip home. Currently have 4 RZRs going. have room for a couple more if anyone in the area wants to go.

Top Back Refresh