What's new

Anyone near Palm Beach/Jupiter FL - need a quick troubleshooting visit on a car

bgaidan

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Looking for someone to swap a simple 10a fuse and jump the car to see it it'll run.

We moved my grandparents in to assisted living a couple years ago. They were still driving when they went in, but that stopped relatively quickly. The car has been parked there since.

Hyundai Sonata hybrid. 2016-ish

When I was down there a year and half ago I jumped it, drove it around and aired up the tires and it was fine. My aunt went down about a year ago and had the starting battery replaced and some other maintenance and it was all fine.

My cousin in MA was supposed to fly down and pick it up and take it home, but for various reasons that never happened. Instead, my aunt arranged to have it shipped. That was supposed to be last week while my mom was down there for my grandfather's surgery. Of course the truck was scheduled and the fucking thing wouldn't start. Tried jumping it and it had power but was giving a "key not detected" error. New battery in the FOB and the "press the start button with the FOB" trick wasn't working. Everything the internet is telling me is that there's a 10a fuse that powers the proximity sensors that's probably blown. Tried to walk her through changing it, but it's under the "transport" switch thing in the fuse box and she couldn't get that off to pull the fuse. I'd have the thing running in 5 minutes if I were there.

If anyone's very close by in the area that could take 5 minutes to swing by and swap a fuse and jump it to see if that's indeed the only issue, I'll gladly throw some beer money your way. Either a jump pack, or there are jumper cables in the trunk.

Where is it getting shipped to? Just an option but I’m in west palm a couple times a year and could get it running and drive it wherever if times not a factor.

My cousin in MA was supposed to fly down and pick it up and take it home, but for various reasons that never happened.

Typical masshole work ethic strikes again. :laughing:

If you had just asked me in advance I could have told you that would happen.

Where is it getting shipped to? Just an option but I’m in west palm a couple times a year and could get it running and drive it wherever if times not a factor.

When's the next time you'll be down there?

I'm half tempted to just run down with the trailer and pick it up, but it's about 11 hours each way and I'll spend almost as much on diesel is it would cost to just have it shipped. Hell, if someone was local and wanted to drive it up to NC or even MA and fly back, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee. Biggest thing is confirming that it's actually just that stupid fuse first.

Typical masshole work ethic strikes again. :laughing:

If you had just asked me in advance I could have told you that would happen.

Takes one to know one? :flipoff2:

Sigh.

Peekchures of aunt?

bunch of slacker round here. 😀

Fly on spirit airlines shit is cheap getting into Florida ,last year i flew into Orlando round trip for $29

Props to @grandeyota for stopping by there yesterday and figuring out two important things - 1) we have a beyond dead battery and 2) Despite me googling while phone-troubleshooting last week, I didn't find that there's a slot in the center console to stick the FOB when the proximity sensors are fucking up. I'm guessing the dead battery somehow took out the smart key sensor and/or it needs to be reprogrammed. :rolleyes:

Fly on spirit airlines shit is cheap getting into Florida ,last year i flew into Orlando round trip for $29

That's the plan. Flying down Friday and a handful of tools they'll let me take on the plane....and a little jump pack. Uber to the car and if the 1 year-old $400 dealer battery is still under warranty I'll swing over and have them take care of it. Otherwise I'll get the same fucking thing for $170 from Autozone and be on my way for the 11 hour trip home. Stopping at the Buc-ee's near Jacksonville on the way, of course. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh