What's new

Anyone know anything about lake conservancies?

Grnd93

The Dude
Member Number
Loc
Michigan
A large chunk of property on the lake that my family has had a cottage on for several decades is rumored to have been sold to a developer.

I would like to see if anything can be done to restrict development of the lake front property.

the land is around 1000 acres, so there is plenty of space to put up Mc Mansions if that’s what’s going to happen. I would just hate to have houses spoiling my sunsets in the summer.

Then you shoulda bought said property.

I bought three empty lots on the corner of my street. I park trailers there, firewood, snow, pallets of bricks and other junk that I don't want cluttering up my own house.

For a while I would get calls from the town stating that they've had complaints. After the third or fourth call I politely told the town girl that the next time she receives a complaint about my property she should tell the complainer to make me an offer to buy the property. Why the fuck would someone else get a say in what goes on on my property when they're not the ones paying taxes on it? I haven't receiver any calls since.

My gut reaction to your post is that you should mind your own business (or purchase the land if you want to keep your sunset).

Then you shoulda bought said property.

I bought three empty lots on the corner of my street. I park trailers there, firewood, snow, pallets of bricks and other junk that I don't want cluttering up my own house.

For a while I would get calls from the town stating that they've had complaints. After the third or fourth call I politely told the town girl that the next time she receives a complaint about my property she should tell the complainer to make me an offer to buy the property. Why the fuck would someone else get a say in what goes on on my property when they're not the ones paying taxes on it? I haven't receiver any calls since.

My gut reaction to your post is that you should mind your own business (or purchase the land if you want to keep your sunset).

If I had the $10,000 per acre asking price I would have.

considering the fact that our cottage was one of the first to be built on the lake it is at least a little bit my business.

So what was the property before ? In the adirondacks here there is the paper company land that has cabins on and every once in a while they sell to the state and they tear or burn them down.

If I had the $10,000 per acre asking price I would have.

considering the fact that our cottage was one of the first to be built on the lake it is at least a little bit my business.

It's not the developer's fault you're poor.

Have you put yourself in their shoes? They just spent a shitload ($10 million----I did the maths) of money on an investment property, and I'd imagine a good return is part of their plan.

i cant fucking stand it when people want to tell other people what they can or cant do on their own property

i cant fucking stand it when people want to tell other people what they can or cant do on their own property

I can't stand it when other people prevent me from enjoying my own property.

I can't stand it when other people prevent me from enjoying my own property.

So just because you own a piece of land you think you should have a say in what every bordering land owner does with theirs?

I feel like there are a few in here who buy a house near an airport, then petition to regulate the noise from the airport. :rolleyes:

So just because you own a piece of land you think you should have a say in what every bordering land owner does with theirs?

I feel like there are a few in here who buy a house near an airport, then petition to regulate the noise from the airport. :rolleyes:

Sounds more like the other way around for the OP, he bought a quiet house and then someone buys up the land to build an airport.

And yes, if you own a piece of land, you should be entitled to enjoy it without neighbouring properties disrupting that. In other words, the sound, sights, smell, etc. should all be reasonable. I sure as fuck would be protesting if the protected natural area behind my house was one day slotted for a huge property development when I bought the house knowing it was a protected area.

Sounds more like the other way around for the OP, he bought a quiet house and then someone buys up the land to build an airport.

And yes, if you own a piece of land, you should be entitled to enjoy it without neighbouring properties disrupting that. In other words, the sound, sights, smell, etc. should all be reasonable. I sure as fuck would be protesting if the protected natural area behind my house was one day slotted for a huge property development when I bought the house knowing it was a protected area.

Where did you come up with this "protected land" BS? :rolleyes:

Nobody said it was a protected area

edit: 5 seconds late

Where did you come up with this "protected land" BS? :rolleyes:

It's some sort of heritage site or something, ancient artifacts and other crap in there apparently. Hence the city calls it protected.

Protected area is a little different, you bought the property knowing that you should never have neighbors on that side.

Within reason, I can agree, this is why zoning is a thing. It would such if someone bought the next door property and decided to put a 24 hour rock crusher plant in.

In the op's case, they probably should have seen it coming. I can understand why it sucks, having your private little area being invaded. But, as long as the zoning is right, what can you do?

Within reason, I can agree, this is why zoning is a thing.

Zoning only works as long as it's not a church that wants to do something--then if you're in Chesapeake City, the city council rolls over and can't work fast enough to allow a church to ignore zoning restrictions. In fact, according to the Chesapeake City Council, all it takes for a church to ignore zoning restrictions is a representative of said church to tell the city council that whatever they want to do with the land will further the church's mission; and to top it off, the council members will prod the church's representative with leading questions in order to get them to say just that.
Kind of like:
Council member: "so, city attorney, if the church says that the building they want to build will further the church's mission, there's nothing that the city council can do about it?"
City attorney: "yes councilmember, that is correct."
Council member: "Church representative, will the building you want to build in violation of zoning further the church's mission?"
Church representative: "well council member, we want to build this to house juveniles with problems."
Council member: "no, no church representative, if what you want to build will further the church's mission, the city council can't say no. Let me ask again, will the building you want to build further the church's mission?"
Church representative: "uh, yes?"

So, yeah, I'm not a big believer in zoning laws really working the way they're supposed to.

OP wears his Corona mask in his car while driving because Karen on his Facebook is scared.

The new American way. Someone wants to do something... But YoU CaNT dO tHAt, it hUrTs my FeeeLings.

A large chunk of property on the lake that my family has had a cottage on for several decades is rumored to have been sold to a developer.

I would like to see if anything can be done to restrict development of the lake front property.

the land is around 1000 acres, so there is plenty of space to put up Mc Mansions if that’s what’s going to happen. I would just hate to have houses spoiling my sunsets in the summer.

So.....is this thread going the way you expected it to? :lmao:

So.....is this thread going the way you expected it to? :lmao:

I’ve been around long enough to know what to expect from this board.

here is the back story.

our half acre on the lake was purchased by my grandparents back in the 1950’s so grandpa could have a place to fish. He built his cottage and then helped a few others build theirs. In total there are about 8 cottages on one side of the lake. The rest of the lake shore is pretty much untouched.

the property that was bought was owned by the Girl Scouts of America and was a summer camp for decades. They decided to sell, which pretty much brings us to where we are now.

this isn’t a matter of someone building next door to me. One side of our cottage is swamp and the other is my second cousins cottage. I’m very concerned about the development overcrowding the lake, not to mention environmental concerns.

the lake is maybe 2 square miles. And is part of the Great Lakes watershed. I am hopeful that may put some type of restrictions on how the property can be developed.

if nothing can be done, so be it. But I want to know what my rights are as well as the rights of the current residents

photo7206.png

Our lakes around here are going through the same thing. The old cottages are getting bought up and replaced with million dollar homes. There was a 1 bedroom 1 bath on 1/3 acre that just sold for 295k.

here is the back story.

our half acre on the lake was purchased by my grandparents back in the 1950’s so grandpa could have a place to fish. He built his cottage and then helped a few others build theirs. In total there are about 8 cottages on one side of the lake. The rest of the lake shore is pretty much untouched.

the property that was bought was owned by the Girl Scouts of America and was a summer camp for decades. They decided to sell, which pretty much brings us to where we are now.

this isn’t a matter of someone building next door to me. One side of our cottage is swamp and the other is my second cousins cottage. I’m very concerned about the development overcrowding the lake, not to mention environmental concerns.

the lake is maybe 2 square miles. And is part of the Great Lakes watershed. I am hopeful that may put some type of restrictions on how the property can be developed.

if nothing can be done, so be it. But I want to know what my rights are as well as the rights of the current residents

Your best bet is to first read up on the local restrictions for development on that type of land, then push back on the water and waste side. Most places have very specifc septic rules when you get close to the waterline. Since it was a camp there likely is not any real infrastructure in place, and if they have to connect city/shared sewer it can get very costly.

But in the end it's their land. They can do with it what they want. All you can do is make sure they are following the rules set forth by the local govt. Start going to local council meetings they are at so you know when they are trying to break the rules.

here is the back story.

Holy shit, I don't think you're far from where my parents live. In between G.R. & Lansing? :laughing:

On another note - unless it's classified as wetlands, I don't think there's gonna be fuck-all you can do about it. Wait for the McMansions to go in and then sell yours and find a different lake.

And 10K/acre? Shoulda bought it. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh