What's new

Anyone into pinball tables?

KarlVP

Not Sure
Member Number
Loc
Crusty's Brewing, Wa
I used to play the shit out of some pinball as a kid/teen.

I was looking to buy a Medieval Madness table to have in my man cave but the starting price for a shitty one is around $8k.

I found on Steam a shitload of virtual pinball tables to play on the PC for about $7. While not the same as an actual table, it's pretty cool if you are looking to kill some time.

A pinball table =?

Is that a cross between a pool table and a pinball machine ?

Canadian OP ?

I agree....it's pinball machine

I sold one on the old board for 50 bucks. Turns out it was rare as hens teeth, and worth a few thousand. Whoops

Reactions: PAE
The issue is the machine you wanted. Medieval Madness (the original not the newer remake version) is in the top 10 most popular, therefore collectible, machines out there. Twilight Zone is another.

if you want a real machine you are better off looking for a less popular machine to start with. Good used machines can be had for between 2 and 3k. The more desirable the machine, the higher the cost goes. Also you can find good deals on machines that need some work. Pinball machines, particularly the older ones, have TONS of moving parts and pieces, lots of solenoids, tons of circuits and switches and fuses and a few miles of wire in them. It can be quite the challenge tracing down problems with them. In fact repair and maintenance on the older machines was the one task I farmed out when I was managing arcades. It was just too much of a time suck tracing wires and trying to find the issues.

the newer machines from Stern are much better than the older stuff as far as maintenance is concerned. Still a lot going on under the play field, but they are using more circuit boards and sensors these days so they are a bit easier to maintain and troubleshoot.

We were talking about this a few weeks ago and started looking on marketplace. I was surprised how expensive they are. We won’t be buying one anytime soon. I’d love to have one though.

I've got an old Pinball machine from the late 60's/early 70's that I need to get restored. It's label is clowns and has that motif on it and inside the machine. I really nee to take it someplace and get it fixed, it's just a heavy mother fucker to load in my truck. My dad and I tried and about killed ourselves, it'll take 4 guys to lift it I'd guess.

The term “man cave“ is stupid. It comes from the book Men Are From Mars Women Are From Venus, which immediately makes the term gay.

if you want to be a grown up, bring back the study.

We had one years ago, and liked it. But it got a bit pricey when it started having issues. I would buy another.

This was the model.
WC0_7133.jpg

I've got an old Pinball machine from the late 60's/early 70's that I need to get restored. It's label is clowns and has that motif on it and inside the machine. I really nee to take it someplace and get it fixed, it's just a heavy mother fucker to load in my truck. My dad and I tried and about killed ourselves, it'll take 4 guys to lift it I'd guess.

Easiest way to load it into a pickup is to remove the legs. What I would do when I did it was to slide it up to the tailgate, take one rear corner leg off and rest that corner of the cabinet on the gate while I removed the other back leg. Slide it In up to the front legs, pop them off and slide the machine the rest of the way in. It is also best to open the back box and remove the two lockdown bolts, unlatch the back, and gently lower the back box down over the play field. Use some cardboard or a moving blanket between the back box and the glass and strap the back box down to the body so it doesn’t bang around.

I have owned pinball machines for the past 20 years. I prefer the Bally/Williams machines from the early 1990's and Gottlieb electro-mechanicals from the early 1970's. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you wouldn't have much trouble maintaining and repairing them. Worst case scenario, a circuit board fries and you are out $300. I'd be more inclined to buy from someone on CL etc, than from a gameroom place, just because of price/overhead.

had a mousin around, had to sell it due to divorce.
want another one.
i do have a bar darts game, that is fun and does not take up much room.

I guess I was weird I never paid attention to the billboard on the table, used up a bit of change on them in the 70s

Sold a No Fear Robby Gordon one a few years ago for around a thousand.

fun for a while but then it just sits taking up space.

Sold a No Fear Robby Gordon one a few years ago for around a thousand.

fun for a while but then it just sits taking up space.

THe same way with most pool tables, folks buy their first house run out and buy a pool table, it gets played for a little while than becomes a place to pile stuff on! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

THe same way with most pool tables, folks buy their first house run out and buy a pool table, it gets played for a little while than becomes a place to pile stuff on! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Bought our house and it had a pool table they left behind in the man cave (just for grumpy). I never really played pool much at all before, now we play almost every night. Once I get the pinball machine fixed it will go in there too. I had thought of putting in a dart board but I don't want my floors to get fucked up:homer:

My dad now has an old gotlieb machine that was in my grandpa’s bar. When we got it out to CA, it needed some work and we found an older timer that got it up and running for a few hundred bucks. It’s a fun family heirloom.

I saw one in an antique store for a really good price, around 1000 or so, a few years ago. owner let me play it for awhile but he was holding it for someone until the next day. Missed it by that much.

Bought our house and it had a pool table they left behind in the man cave (just for grumpy). I never really played pool much at all before, now we play almost every night. Once I get the pinball machine fixed it will go in there too. I had thought of putting in a dart board but I don't want my floors to get fucked up:homer:

Like I said most go unloved!
Do you play "Satuday Nights All Right" when your playing

My neighbor has six - 60's / 70's era machines and several 80's era video games; in his garage. All fully functional and a blast to play.....

so in the early 90s. I was an asst manager at an arcade.. tons of free game playing.. I was pretty good with pinball, but some machines required lots of maintenance.. (usually fixing them was sorta easy for me)..

the difference in cost, between regular trips to an arcade, and buying the machine, is so big.. I just wouldnt bother.. but thats just me..

For anyone curious, this is what it looks like under the play field of a modern machine. This one in particular is a Hobbit machine from Jersey Jack Pinball.

and here is an older machine

Kind of looks like my Samurai.

Top Back Refresh