What's new

Anyone have tooling for an old Logan lather

DMG

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Model 04TLC-700A

we are fixing it up for our Makerspace.

That's a 10" correct? What kind of stuff are you looking for? OG stuff I'm assuming?

That's a 10" correct? What kind of stuff are you looking for? OG stuff I'm assuming?
It is a 10 inch. We have nothing so we are looking for anything. And an old man to teach us how to run it. :laughing:

It is a 10 inch. We have nothing so we are looking for anything. And an old man to teach us how to run it. :laughing:
Do you have chucks and and a tailstock? You just looking for toolposts, and tailstock accessories along with some cutters?

Also, I Googled Makerspace. Can you tell me some more about this? Is it all the same program type thing, as there are apparently some around here. School things?

Do you have chucks and and a tailstock? You just looking for toolposts, and tailstock accessories along with some cutters?

Also, I Googled Makerspace. Can you tell me some more about this? Is it all the same program type thing, as there are apparently some around here. School things?
We have a nonprofit makerspace with laser cutters, 3d printers, cnc routers, woodwo and mechanics tools, resin printers, etc. We opened up right before Covid started so it barely survived. It is mostly just us and some friends now.

You pay your membership, get checked out on safety, ppe, etc and can use the stuff.

We have a chuck and tailstock. We mainly need tooling and tool holders.

I've had good enough luck with the import tool holders and carbide inserts from Banggood, Aliexpress, Ebay, etc. Same for the wedge style quick change Aloris knockoff tool posts. More than good enough for hobby use.

I've had good enough luck with the import tool holders and carbide inserts from Banggood, Aliexpress, Ebay, etc. Same for the wedge style quick change Aloris knockoff tool posts. More than good enough for hobby use.
I think all mine are phase II, and were reasonable. I bought 5 for my south bend.

We have a chuck and tailstock. We mainly need tooling and tool holders.
Don't go with the og lantern holders, I'd go ahead and get new. Also, carbide is too high to wreck for beginner use. May wanna look at grinding your own hss if many people are going to use it. Makes a wreck an instant fix, instead of an Amazon order.

I think the maker space here must be my house lol

EDIT: I will look at what I have when I get home, and see if you can use anytthing.

Last edited:
I have some old lantern tooling that I don't use. Would be cheap to buy, but expensive to ship.

Whats the cross slide look like, t-bolt style hold down or what?

Reactions: DMG
I have a Logan model 200 with the lantern tool post and really dislike it, I want to go to a quick change style. I flexes a lot and anytime I'm using carbide I'll brake it. Learning how to grind HSS bits has been my go to for hobby stuff.

mrpete222 has a lot of good videos

I have a Logan model 200 with the lantern tool post and really dislike it, I want to go to a quick change style. I flexes a lot and anytime I'm using carbide I'll brake it. Learning how to grind HSS bits has been my go to for hobby stuff.
Best part of knowing how to grind tooling, is you can make a custom cutter that can't be bought right the fuck now if you need one. Carbide def has its place, and I got a bunch of it, but usually end up using HSS anyway. Always go positive rake for small machines.

Don't waste your money on brazed carbide....it's garbage.

Shop Ebay/Craigslist for "tooling lot"s and if you're lucky you'll find a pile of old Momax HSS for next to nothing.
For your toolpost and holders....can't beat CDCO...

It's pretty bottom of the barrel stuff but good enough for the home gamer.

Top Back Refresh