What's new

Anyone ever owned a warn “trans4mer” push bar?

Broncokyle88

Free spawny/montrose
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Pennsyltucky
What did you think of it? How thick is the material they use (uprights, tube wall thickness, etc)? I have the need for a winch on the front of my gmt800, and every winch bumper for them looks gay. Hidden winch mounts in the stock bumper are great until you need to service anything on the winch, and I’d much rather have someone else place a stamp of approval on something I might end up burying into a dumbass’s vehicle at 50+ mph for liability reasons instead of cobbling my own together. The warn push bar looks like it could be the ticket, but if I’m going to pay that much for a push bar it better be heavy duty.

Should I have stuck this in tow rigs or newb instead?

:flipoff2:

rockota

white collar hillbilly
Member Number
What did you think of it? How thick is the material they use (uprights, tube wall thickness, etc)? I have the need for a winch on the front of my gmt800, and every winch bumper for them looks gay. Hidden winch mounts in the stock bumper are great until you need to service anything on the winch, and I’d much rather have someone else place a stamp of approval on something I might end up burying into a dumbass’s vehicle at 50+ mph for liability reasons instead of cobbling my own together. The warn push bar looks like it could be the ticket, but if I’m going to pay that much for a push bar it better be heavy duty.

Should I have stuck this in tow rigs or newb instead?

:flipoff2:

never owned one. Always thought they were cheesy.

Having said that, we had an Amazon driver stuck part way off the road, and the owner of the delivery company had a Transformer... winched the dude out sideways with a snatch block after a neighbor with a JK and 9K winch couldn't move it. Thought the thing would flex a lot, but it didn't budge.

So seems stronger than they look, I guess.

Aggie06

I ain't the one to blame.
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Balls Deep South Texas
Haven’t owned one, but have looked at a few mounted to trucks, and read a bunch of reviews when I was considering getting one. From what I have read, they’re very well made and handle winching as well as any aftermarket mount. Seems like the powder coating holds up pretty well on the ones I’ve seen. There are a few other companies making them now, Westin being one off the top of my head.

Aggie06

CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Balls Deep South Texas
Yeah dad has one on his first gen superduty. Works fine. He says it was a bitch to install, but he sucks at logic these days, so it might not.

Reviews I read kind of said the same thing about installation. Everything fits tightly, and it can be a pain to get everything to fit together.

TrikeKid

Junk Hoarder
Member Number
Loc
Auburn, WA
I installed one years ago. Seemed reasonably well built and for occasional use more than enough. I do seem to remember having to modify a wrench to get the brackets bolted into the frame on an '11 F350. That was the only real annoying part.

Broncokyle88

Free spawny/montrose
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Pennsyltucky
Cool, I’m glad to see mostly positive feedback on them. I’m not expecting it to be a 100% rock solid plate bumper. I’m not wheeling the truck, I just need something that will hold a winch solid.

I think I fit their target demographic with this.I don’t need a big gay bumper, but I’d really like a winch and a sturdy push bar. I find having a winch would be incredibly helpful 1-2 times a month for around the house projects, moving dead cars, and tree stuff. Approach angle isn’t a huge concern. And a push bar would be really nice to have to strap an old tire to for pushing shit around.

Aggie06

CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Balls Deep South Texas
Cool, I’m glad to see mostly positive feedback on them. I’m not expecting it to be a 100% rock solid plate bumper. I’m not wheeling the truck, I just need something that will hold a winch solid.

I think I fit their target demographic with this.I don’t need a big gay bumper, but I’d really like a winch and a sturdy push bar. I find having a winch would be incredibly helpful 1-2 times a month for around the house projects, moving dead cars, and tree stuff. Approach angle isn’t a huge concern. And a push bar would be really nice to have to strap an old tire to for pushing shit around.

Similar reason why I was looking at one. I do like the Warn Ascent line of bumpers. They seem to be a little less bulky than most.

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
One thing to note, it won't accept an 8274, and even if you weld a plate on the front of the mounting plate to take one, there isn't enough room for an 8274.

Whoops.

Broncokyle88

Free spawny/montrose
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Pennsyltucky
One thing to note, it won't accept an 8274, and even if you weld a plate on the front of the mounting plate to take one, there isn't enough room for an 8274.

Whoops.

That’s gotta suck to find out the hard way. Luckily i don’t have a winch for it yet. I’m thinking a 9.5ti, I’ve used them before and liked them, or maybe an m8000

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
That’s gotta suck to find out the hard way. Luckily i don’t have a winch for it yet. I’m thinking a 9.5ti, I’ve used them before and liked them, or maybe an m8000

Yeah it sucked. Spidr welded the plate in, dad got it mounted, then calls me like "Heeeyyyy....so what kinda winches you have lying around?":laughing:

Of course, I had 3 8274s, so I could totally loan him one.:laughing:

Ended up borrowing an m8000 off a buddy's wheeler for our moose trip.

Broncokyle88

Free spawny/montrose
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Pennsyltucky
Yeah it sucked. Spidr welded the plate in, dad got it mounted, then calls me like "Heeeyyyy....so what kinda winches you have lying around?":laughing:

Of course, I had 3 8274s, so I could totally loan him one.:laughing:

Ended up borrowing an m8000 off a buddy's wheeler for our moose trip.

:lmao:
Thats how shit usually works out for me too

A_G

Semi-Controlled rage
Member Number
Loc
Tahlequah, OK
i have one on my 2019 f550, i actually bought the upright to mimic the push bar on my 2001 and it looked goofy as fuck and i never mounted. Base plate system works good. I also have a 2/0 battery quick connect mounted next to my warn 15k.

I pull some big heavy shit with that winch. with a snatch block ive been well over the winches rating and everythings been fine.

I did replace all the hardware with grade 8 cause the supplied shit was grade 5, i also shit canned the split washers and nuts in favor for c-nuts ( the nut with the crown that has a imperfect thread)

Last edited:

Broncokyle88

Free spawny/montrose
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Pennsyltucky
B2C9CF9E-7361-415A-B97D-6A5F3150AA27.jpeg
9EE9D7C4-CD48-47DE-80C6-D51B91BE5D11.jpeg
26D34745-475F-45DB-8559-177DFD2C22E5.jpeg
i have one on my 2019 f550, i actually bought the upright to mimic the push bar on my 2001 and it looked goofy as fuck and i never mounted. Base plate system works good. I also have a 2/0 battery quick connect mounted next to my warn 15k.

I pull some big heavy shit with that winch. with a snatch block ive been well over the winches rating and everythings been fine.

I did replace all the hardware with grade 8 cause the supplied shit was grade 5, i also shit canned the split washers and nuts in favor for c-nuts ( the nut with the crown that has a imperfect thread)

That’s good to hear a positive firsthand review, especially from someone who no doubt uses it harder than I will. They do look kind of funky sticking out as far as they do, but it doesn’t seem obnoxious for the gmt800 trucks. That’s damn good info on the hardware though, I was already planning on swapping the nuts out for nylocks if I go this route, stover nuts might be a better option though.

I was kind of thinking about the idea of sticking an Anderson plug on the side of the upright, so when it’s time for jumper cables I can just unplug the winch and plug in a set of cables. Is that something you’d recommend doing?

Last edited:

A_G

Semi-Controlled rage
Member Number
Loc
Tahlequah, OK
filedata/fetch?id=32038&d=1591579545 filedata/fetch?id=32037&d=1591579545 filedata/fetch?id=32036&d=1591579544

That’s good to hear a positive firsthand review, especially from someone who no doubt uses it harder than I will. They do look kind of funky sticking out as far as they do, but it doesn’t seem obnoxious for the gmt800 trucks. That’s damn good info on the hardware though, I was already planning on swapping the nuts out for nylocks if I go this route, stover nuts might be a better option though.

I was kind of thinking about the idea of sticking an Anderson plug on the side of the upright, so when it’s time for jumper cables I can just unplug the winch and plug in a set of cables. Is that something you’d recommend doing?

So i realize now that i had the gen II transformer

But my 01 had the style like you posted above.

The quick connect i was referring to is the anderson connector your talking about. I had one on my old truck ran to the back bumper too and two 8d batteries but you know its a service truck. new truck just have a quick connect on the passenger side of the winch. Ill dig up some photos from my phone give me a second.

old truck was wired seperate from winch, new truck the quick connect is wired with winch battery connections. new f550's dont have room to be running seperate runs

Edit: the with the winch im referring to is at the connection to the winch i just added a wire coming out to the anderson, it doesnt make any difference and its not hurting anything, so you wouldnt need to unplug your winch to use the jump.

Last edited:

A_G

Semi-Controlled rage
Member Number
Loc
Tahlequah, OK
Some old truck some new and then the fully upper bar in the new one

The anderson connector on the new truck is in the passenger side opening. Old truck its mounted to the upright just behind the cones...in the first photo you can kinda see it, its red

20190102_161434.jpg

20180627_174556.jpg

20200219_115714.jpg

IMG-20190710-WA0003.jpg

ArTi54N

YouTuber
Member Number
Loc
Republic of the Rio Grande
1031295.jpg
1031295.jpg
1031295.jpg
so I had a Warn Trans4mer on the front of my 2001 f150 4x4.. was getting ready to do a SAS, and already had 2 dana 60s sittin at a friends house.. anyways, I was going to strengthen the bars that go around the headlights, but I tore one of them off.. so instead of messin with them, I decided they were kinda weak, compared to everything else.. so I went without them..

I made a mounting bracket thingy, to mount my 4 KCs on.. 2 KC Daylighters, and 2 KC fog lamps..

it had 2 choices of mounts in the front, for winches.. one for a permanent winch, and the other for a winch on a tray.. I was gonna get the winch on the tray so I can put it on the back or the front.. I was saving up for the winch, and trying to get Warn to sponsor my truck.. I was asking for a winch, but would have been happy with a solid discount.. I had a few sponsors at the time.. the more sponsors you have, the easier it is to get more of them..

the way I reinforced it, it was pretty strong.. and it really took a beating..

I would get one again..

I was planning on adding more special features and connecting it to some special mods I was working on.. I was gonna change out my headlights etc, to something more custom and stronger.. and connect what I was gonna do, to the trans4mer system.. one of the main reasons I was gonna change stuff.. is cuz I'm pretty good with fiberglass.. and I can sorta weld myself.. and I did NOT like the gap in the front, after I did my body lift..

in the rear I had a ranchhand "cowboy".. modified a little and raised up a little.. was planning on adding more stuff back there too

Last edited:

Broncokyle88

Free spawny/montrose
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Pennsyltucky
So i realize now that i had the gen II transformer

But my 01 had the style like you posted above.

The quick connect i was referring to is the anderson connector your talking about. I had one on my old truck ran to the back bumper too and two 8d batteries but you know its a service truck. new truck just have a quick connect on the passenger side of the winch. Ill dig up some photos from my phone give me a second.

old truck was wired seperate from winch, new truck the quick connect is wired with winch battery connections. new f550's dont have room to be running seperate runs

Edit: the with the winch im referring to is at the connection to the winch i just added a wire coming out to the anderson, it doesnt make any difference and its not hurting anything, so you wouldnt need to unplug your winch to use the jump.

Interesting, I hadn’t thought of just running cables from the lugs on the winch up to the connector, but that does make a lot more sense to do it that way. I wouldn’t mind running a plug on the rear either, it definitely opens up more options as far as jumping something on a trailer or just hooking straight up to the winch on the trailer instead of relying on a battery that’s usually dead.

Are you running any sort of circuit breaker or fuse off of the positive cable? That’s a pretty long run, and the cable has quite a few things it can rub against

Broncokyle88

Free spawny/montrose
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Pennsyltucky
Some old truck some new and then the fully upper bar in the new one

The anderson connector on the new truck is in the passenger side opening. Old truck its mounted to the upright just behind the cones...in the first photo you can kinda see it, its red

That’s pretty much where I was thinking for mounting the plug too, just on the drivers side to shorten up the run because gm put the battery on that side. And I definitely wouldn’t be using the upright bar on the new truck either. I’m usually a function over form guy, and that little thing looks like it falls short in both categories.

someday I’ll figure out multiquote on my phone

A_G

Semi-Controlled rage
Member Number
Loc
Tahlequah, OK
Interesting, I hadn’t thought of just running cables from the lugs on the winch up to the connector, but that does make a lot more sense to do it that way. I wouldn’t mind running a plug on the rear either, it definitely opens up more options as far as jumping something on a trailer or just hooking straight up to the winch on the trailer instead of relying on a battery that’s usually dead.

Are you running any sort of circuit breaker or fuse off of the positive cable? That’s a pretty long run, and the cable has quite a few things it can rub against

I should have ran a fuse but I did not. It was front batteries to a isolator to the twin 8 d batteries then to the rear plug

Broncokyle88

Free spawny/montrose
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Pennsyltucky
I should have ran a fuse but I did not. It was front batteries to a isolator to the twin 8 d batteries then to the rear plug

I’ve definitely regretted how I’ve wired shit in the past, but once it’s in service and working it’s hard to bring yourself to tear it apart again unless it gives you a problem. I’m thinking a 250amp mega fuse or the same rated circuit breaker. I know my battery is 800amps, but there’s no way another vehicle is pulling all of that while I’m trying to jump it. I mean, that’s why I have to let it sit and charge for a couple minutes before cranking, right?

Do you think 250a would be appropriately sized?

A_G

Semi-Controlled rage
Member Number
Loc
Tahlequah, OK
I’ve definitely regretted how I’ve wired shit in the past, but once it’s in service and working it’s hard to bring yourself to tear it apart again unless it gives you a problem. I’m thinking a 250amp mega fuse or the same rated circuit breaker. I know my battery is 800amps, but there’s no way another vehicle is pulling all of that while I’m trying to jump it. I mean, that’s why I have to let it sit and charge for a couple minutes before cranking, right?

Do you think 250a would be appropriately sized?

You let it sit a couple mins to overcome the battery being a draw. But who knows what you'll actually draw, its dependant on many factors. Load, resistance, connection quality starting voltage etc.

I can't really advise on it, maybe go with working amps of winch and fuse at that and bring spares?

Broncokyle88

Free spawny/montrose
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Pennsyltucky
You let it sit a couple mins to overcome the battery being a draw. But who knows what you'll actually draw, its dependant on many factors. Load, resistance, connection quality starting voltage etc.

I can't really advise on it, maybe go with working amps of winch and fuse at that and bring spares?

Jesus Christ I’m over complicating a winch install. Now I’m thinking a fuse isn’t the way to go. I’m going to look for a big ass relay like the old ford starter relays, but continuous duty. Wire a switch in the cab, flip that on when I need to winch or jump something, and power up the relay. Cables won’t have any power running through them the 98% of time I’m not using it, and I can sleep a little better knowing it’s less likely to catch fire in the middle of the night.

edit- that wasn’t hard at all. Warn sells one, part number 63001. $50ish which isn’t hateful

Last edited:

A_G

Semi-Controlled rage
Member Number
Loc
Tahlequah, OK
Jesus Christ I’m over complicating a winch install. Now I’m thinking a fuse isn’t the way to go. I’m going to look for a big ass relay like the old ford starter relays, but continuous duty. Wire a switch in the cab, flip that on when I need to winch or jump something, and power up the relay. Cables won’t have any power running through them the 98% of time I’m not using it, and I can sleep a little better knowing it’s less likely to catch fire in the middle of the night.

edit- that wasn’t hard at all. Warn sells one, part number 63001. $50ish which isn’t hateful

Honestly the proper was is a fuse...but no one does that. It takes one spike to cook that fuse

A solenoid is a good choice

Broncokyle88

Free spawny/montrose
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Pennsyltucky
Honestly the proper was is a fuse...but no one does that. It takes one spike to cook that fuse

A solenoid is a good choice

Yeah, I know almost nobody fuses their winch, but it just doesn’t sit right with me to not have some kind of safeguard against dumping full battery current into something accidentally. A fuse probably isn’t the way to go, I’m thinking if you stall it on a pull and the current spikes it’s liable to pop. The more I think about a solenoid it is probably the right option. A solenoid won’t blow, and I’m there holding the controller, if I see it start to stall, I just have to let go of the button. Starters aren’t fused, and they see full power from the battery too. But they all run a solenoid or relay to break the circuit as soon as you let off the key. So as long as I’m not completely retarded with the thing, I don’t see it having any real problems pulling that much current that it will get hot enough to burn the wire.

Plus it will prevent random dickheads from having the opportunity to molest the controller pins and fucking with my shit. Although it’s not a huge concern where I park it every night, there are shitty people everywhere.

I got the push bar, mounting plate, and a winch coming (Smittybilt 10k, will probably throw that on my dentside if it’s worth a shit and upgrade to a warn with my tax return next year). I just have to figure out my wiring shit and get that ordered too

Trans4mer is still a gay name though:flipoff2: