What's new

Anybody have a newer subaru crosstek? Looking to buy one need  recommendations.

Redtruggy

I cant type or spell.
Member Number
Loc
Gone crazy
Ya ya i know its the greatest 4x4 forum on the planet but i need some recommendations.
im tired of daily driving my 20 year old built one ton, and with recent divorce i need something more economical for trips and to also make a second vehicle.
im looking at 2020 subaru crosstek, will be the limited trim model, basicly fully decked out.
primary use will be daily driver to work ( 10 miles each way) and kid duty when i have him, also will be used a lot in wintertime for weekly 60 mile trips to ski/snowboard. And of course the road trips i hope to take boy on in future.
so any body have a newer one they wanna share there experiences about??

I know a lesbian couple that has one(seriously), they like it. Otherwise a shit box with head gasket problems. Better off getting a shit box and using won ton when needed for 4x4 in snow.

I know a lesbian couple that has one(seriously), they like it. Otherwise a shit box with head gasket problems. Better off getting a shit box and using won ton when needed for 4x4 in snow.

Would be a new one, and be left stock, so least for some time any head gaskets would be subarus issue.
Truck is fine for the snow, but in all reality its all highway to ski resort, and very seldom will it be bad enough to warrent actual 4x4. Any thing more than that and truck would be used anyways, or for pulling fifth wheel.
but hey, ill play lesbian if i can find a willing participant.

The crosstrek is just a heavier, more expensive, and worse handling car than the Impreza hatch.

embarassing slow, I mean just floor it and listen the the CVT whine its ass off as you try to enter the highway.

saying "decked out" and crosstrek is hilarious. You get a bigger screen, moonroof, and some bovine free leather.

Oh, they're also gay as aids.

So recommend me sonething similar

I'm old school. I have a stock 75 cherokee, a 98 TJ (wheeler), a 2003 duramax tow pig, a 92 Plymouth Sundance (daily driver), and the wifes 2016 Jeep patriot.

IMHO, buy a reliable beater and DD that. My 92 sundance has never left me stranded. That being said, I use the wife's patriot or the cherokee when we go skiing for the 4x4 which is nice. She gets about 24MPG in the patriot and I have followed all factory service since day 1. About 45K miles on it. It's not a great car but it's a good car for what we use it for. Hauling around our 2 kids. FWIW we traded in a 97 fully loaded ZJ. The wife loved the ZJ. I guess we just couldn't afford it.

EDIT: Get the 2.4L Patriot it does not have the option for the CVT.

Last edited:
Some subaru crossteks have the oil consumption problem:

http://www.subarucomplaints.com/oil-consumption/

AWD minivan? They're great for ski trips. Gas mileage isn't the greatest but better than a ton.

AWD sedan? Plenty of them out there should be.

Any vehicle after about 2010 is prone to oil consumption problems, it’s just the way things are now. Blame CARB and low tension piston rings.

Crosstreks are OK. Fit and finish is good, ride is good, but they are underpowered as shit. A forester with the 2.5 is a better choice.

Newer Subaru’s don’t have head gasket issues, but I have seen a couple with oil in the coolant that I believe Is going to be a relatively common upper oil pan issue. Haven’t had someone willing to fix one and find out for sure, engine has to come out to get to it.

Depends what you are looking for, I would say the vast majority of front wheel drive shit boxes will get you pretty much anywhere as long as you dont go full retard. Biggest obstacle I have found is clearance is snow/sand.lz on lower vehicles you end up high centered before losing traction on my experience.

Depending on budget and how much snow we are talking I would be looking at smaller Toyota/hondas buy with 100k miles run it to 200k and sell for 1/2 what you have in it rinse and repeat. I have heard good things about the koreans but have no first hand experience. (This is all assuming mpg/comfort is your goal)

The head gasket thing hasn't been an issue for years. Yeah, they burn oil if you run the factory 0 weight instead of 5.

Don't rule out an Impreza, they're the same thing. The Crosstrek's just have a 2" lift on em. There wasn't even new factory training for them when they came out.

How tall are you? At 6'3" I can't see out of them worth a shit. Rearview on the windshield and the angle of the windshield really fuck with the visibility on them for me. I also can't stand a CVT transmission.

My little sister bought one and then shortly after my mom went and bought one. They both seem to like them.

Any vehicle after about 2010 is prone to oil consumption problems, it’s just the way things are now. Blame CARB and low tension piston rings.

Crosstreks are OK. Fit and finish is good, ride is good, but they are underpowered as shit. A forester with the 2.5 is a better choice.

Newer Subaru’s don’t have head gasket issues, but I have seen a couple with oil in the coolant that I believe Is going to be a relatively common upper oil pan issue. Haven’t had someone willing to fix one and find out for sure, engine has to come out to get to it.

Guys on reddit were saying the oil builds up in the valve cover and pushes the gasket out, and also pushes into the coolant. That's like a 1970s American car problem.

I have no idea and well reddit is reddit.

I've never seen Subie as a reliable car, I think they just hitched a ride with Honda and Toyota. I think all the Jap cars do, really.

my wife has a 2016 forester with the 2.5 shes happy with it but i can tell its underpowered. it does consume oil but whatever. when it was time fer tires i picked out falken wildpeak trail a/t and they have been awesome especially in the winter and look 'more manly' but she did notice less mpg but keeping my family safe is what matters to me.
havent driven it much but i can being 6'3" 280 and fit comfortably in the pass seat. much more leg room then the exploder we were looking at.

and yes she gets mad when i call it a lezbaru :lmao:

RUGER

Last edited:
My Friend Jason has one in Texas he takes it off road.

44377809_10213321783226735_7622545186270216192_n.jpg

53543300_10214177224132223_2127483226548076544_o.jpg

45091042_10213379173781463_3494308799873810432_o.jpg

Well, I guess technically parking on the lawn is “off road”.
:flipoff2:

We have a Suby, but not the Crosstrek, so no help there. I have tried out the Suby CVT and think they suck. Drive one and make your own decision, I couldn’t stand it’s vagueness.

Well, I guess technically parking on the lawn is “off road”.
:flipoff2:

We have a Suby, but not the Crosstrek, so no help there. I have tried out the Suby CVT and think they suck. Drive one and make your own decision, I couldn’t stand it’s vagueness.

I test drove one last weekend, was different for sure, but Nothing i couldnt get used to i guess, same with the power. If i want to go fast i have toys for that.

Holy fuck do those things eat wheel bearings. Not uncommon to see one come into the shop and need two or three.

Older Subaru’s maybe. The newer ones don’t seem to need bearings any more often than any other vehicle with unit bearings.

They're everywhere here in northern New England. I see them literally everywhere.

A friend had a 6 speed one, she just traded it for a limited auto. I drove the 6 speed, it was decent. Drove like a Subaru. The hill start assist was fucking awful though. The car holds itself for like 2 seconds on a hill. You think the clutch isn't engaging so you keep letting it out. Once the car decides it's done holding itself on the hill, you, as a person who can actually drive a stick, have the clutch out too far. Car leaves hill pissed off and bucking like you can't drive a stick. Frustrating :laughing:

Lady friend was looking at them, she's settled on the new RAV4 over the Crosstrek.

I had an older Crosstrek (2013) and it was a good car. It wasn't a great car, but it was a good car. I'd buy another Subaru in the right circumstances, not sure if it'd be the same exact car as what I had, but overall I liked the car.
Mine got totalled at about 88k miles (IIRC) so I don't know about wheel bearings. It actually got totalled twice in six months, once for hail, second time by a DUI driver. It was a good-enough car that we kept it with the hail damage and just said "eh, it'll be golfballish". It had just gotten its third set of tires. Still on OEM brakes. It did have a bit of an oil consumption problem, which supposedly Subaru has fixed. Mine would suck down about a quart in 2.5-3k miles, one quart down would trigger the oil level light. Light goes on, add a quart. Light goes on again, change the oil. I read many places switching to 5w20 or 5w30 fixes the oil consumption issue, factory spec is/was 0w20. Since I had/have that anyway (it's what I use for PS fluid) sticking with it and consuming a quart here-n-there was not a problem, rather just do that than expand inventory to include 5w20 that I use in nothing else.
So why not the same-exact, as others have noted, gutless. Slow. Accountantly. The '21 is supposedly getting the 2.5 out of the Forester, but only with the CVT. Mine was a CVT. I didn't care for the 2.0 or the CVT. About the same time I was pondering all that and "maybe I'll get a Forester with a 2.5 and a 6 speed" they ditched the 2.5/6sp combo out of the Forester too, in favor of the CVT.
For a drive-to-ski-resort car, it was great. Drive in cruddy weather, great. Drive while sipping a coffee and texting, great. Drive like a moron who doesn't know what "D" on the shifter stands for, just that it makes the car go forwards, great. Actually like to drive and want a car in tune with that... suck.
My commute when I had mine was 26 miles each way to the office, or 52 miles each way to the airport. Consistently got 30.something mpg doing that. High speed road trip, highway time, it'd get more like 26-27ish. It seemed to be optimized to run about 45.

Last edited:
I had an older Crosstrek (2013) and it was a good car. It wasn't a great car, but it was a good car. I'd buy another Subaru in the right circumstances, not sure if it'd be the same exact car as what I had, but overall I liked the car.
Mine got totalled at about 88k miles (IIRC) so I don't know about wheel bearings. It actually got totalled twice in six months, once for hail, second time by a DUI driver. It was a good-enough car that we kept it with the hail damage and just said "eh, it'll be golfballish". It had just gotten its third set of tires. Still on OEM brakes. It did have a bit of an oil consumption problem, which supposedly Subaru has fixed. Mine would suck down about a quart in 2.5-3k miles, one quart down would trigger the oil level light. Light goes on, add a quart. Light goes on again, change the oil. I read many places switching to 5w20 or 5w30 fixes the oil consumption issue, factory spec is/was 0w20. Since I had/have that anyway (it's what I use for PS fluid) sticking with it and consuming a quart here-n-there was not a problem, rather just do that than expand inventory to include 5w20 that I use in nothing else.
So why not the same-exact, as others have noted, gutless. Slow. Accountantly. The '21 is supposedly getting the 2.5 out of the Forester, but only with the CVT. Mine was a CVT. I didn't care for the 2.0 or the CVT. About the same time I was pondering all that and "maybe I'll get a Forester with a 2.5 and a 6 speed" they ditched the 2.5/6sp combo out of the Forester too, in favor of the CVT.
For a drive-to-ski-resort car, it was great. Drive in cruddy weather, great. Drive while sipping a coffee and texting, great. Drive like a moron who doesn't know what "D" on the shifter stands for, just that it makes the car go forwards, great. Actually like to drive and want a car in tune with that... suck.
My commute when I had mine was 26 miles each way to the office, or 52 miles each way to the airport. Consistently got 30.something mpg doing that. High speed road trip, highway time, it'd get more like 26-27ish. It seemed to be optimized to run about 45.

Thanks

my brother in law drives one they bought new.

it's not broken down. I think my brother in law has put like 90K on it in three years. I put brakes on it last summer. That's all It's needed.
It's a cheap appliance. point to point b in any weather. that's why he bought it.
they are gutless
not very comfortable
and are the stupid cuv scum that has killed performance wagons.

I'll hate you.

just buy a subaru hatch.

I looked at them and liked them but the manual trans shifts poorly and I am not a fan of CVTs so we bought a 2017 Rav4

my brother in law drives one they bought new.

it's not broken down. I think my brother in law has put like 90K on it in three years. I put brakes on it last summer. That's all It's needed.
It's a cheap appliance. point to point b in any weather. that's why he bought it.
they are gutless
not very comfortable
and are the stupid cuv scum that has killed performance wagons.

I'll hate you.

just buy a subaru hatch.

I graduated in 14. Ended up with a truck and an Rx8 (great deal, cheap to insure, drives well, doesnt break if you toss the stupid crank oil injections and premix gas, not enough power)
I am now at the point in my career that I can afford luxuries like upgrading my cars. I have no interest in trading in my 04 GMT 800, but would love to get a nicely depreciated ~3-5 yr old performance wagon. A modern version of the E39 touring.....perfect replacement for the RX8.......Oh wait..........FUCK EVERYONE WHO WANTS CROSSOVERS. So few wagons are even available here that the very few left have a stupid premium on the used market. Infuriating.

I travel a lot and rent a lot of cars. There are few things that suck more than a crossover. The only thing worse is a crossover with a CVT. Give me a minivan over one of those POS, at least they are good at something.

Hindsight being what it is, the year I bought my Crosstrek was one of the last years of the WRX wagon. A bit of me wishes I'd said "screw the economy, get the fun" and gotten a 6 speed WRX wagon instead. Now they don't make the WRX wagon and it seems they're trying to push manuals out of production entirely. The CVT they have is great on gas, but that's it, on performance, response, crispness, it's a bucket of room-temperature applesauce.

Top Back Refresh