What's new

Anybody have a newer subaru crosstek? Looking to buy one need  recommendations.

Hindsight being what it is, the year I bought my Crosstrek was one of the last years of the WRX wagon. A bit of me wishes I'd said "screw the economy, get the fun" and gotten a 6 speed WRX wagon instead. Now they don't make the WRX wagon and it seems they're trying to push manuals out of production entirely. The CVT they have is great on gas, but that's it, on performance, response, crispness, it's a bucket of room-temperature applesauce.

So maybe i am in the minority.......but whats the big deal on gas mileage (except for the stupid government). Truck, 15 is good enough empty. Sports car, 15 is good enough. Wagon, sedan etc, 22 would be awesome. Its not like gas is expensive. It seems like I am 5-15 mpg behind what people are shooting for.

OPINION: Cars would be better if we said F-you gas mileage, went back to my numbers and got better power, transmissions, aero etc, for making the car pleasant and not another shitty appliance. I love the new 7.3 super duty, its one of the few recent vehicle moves that just makes sense. Change my mind :flipoff2:

EDIT: For transparency, I do consult for oil & gas for work, Drill baby drill :laughing:

Last edited:
So maybe i am in the minority.......but whats the big deal on gas mileage (except for the stupid government). Truck, 15 is good enough empty. Sports car, 15 is good enough. Wagon, sedan etc, 22 would be awesome. Its not like gas is expensive. It seems like I am 5-15 mpg behind what people are shooting for.

OPINION: Cars would be better if we said F-you gas mileage, went back to my numbers and got better power, transmissions, aero etc, for making the car pleasant and not another shitty appliance. I love the new 7.3 super duty, its one of the few recent vehicle moves that just makes sense. Change my mind :flipoff2:

EDIT: For transparency, I do consult for oil & gas for work, Drill baby drill :laughing:

So... at present, I'm driving an F350. Or, at least, if I was driving, I would be, mostly I just look at it parked in my driveway as I wish I could go back to doing my "thing" in a normal manner instead of being pickled in my basement hiding from the 'rona. Clearly gas mileage isn't everything. Transparency and all...

When I bought my Subaru, my employer incentivized driving something that got good gas mileage. Buying the Crosstrek got me just-over their highest threshold, which meant extra $$ in my paycheck. I'm as capitalist as the next guy, you want me to do something, pay me more to do it than it costs me, and I'm in. The WRX wagon was low enough on gas mileage to be basically the same incentive (none) as my F350 is. I do tech support on construction equipment (compressors, boosters, demolition tools, pumps, generators) so a truck is a handy thing to have, and me showing up on a west Texas drill site, a refinery, an equipment yard, a Cat shop, a quarry, etc... in a Subaru wagon isn't exactly the most confidence-inspiring thing to a customer, but whatever, it's the direction management decided to throw money.

Philosophically, I agree with you on that cars would be better if we let the market actually handle things instead of gaming the numbers, but there are way too many powerful people deeply invested in gaming numbers at this point to think that my opinion is going to change things.

My wife has pondered a Crosstrek but I keep shooting her down stating she's not an angry softball player.
There's a bunch around here around post and they all have the IGoverlandy package with lift/wheels/tires/etc. We've seen two of them 3 wheeled on the side of the road from bad bearings/etc.
The SO has a 2016 Honda HRV that's got 160k on the ticker and it's been absolutely reliable and a hell of a snow car. Way less homerghey than a Lesbaru and priced about the same as the Crosstrek. We've had zero issues with it in 4 years and still cooler than a Ridgeline. My only issue is Honda doesn't recommend towing anything with it.

I am guessing the divorce is because you finally admitted you are gay?

I do know a couple of butch gay retired prison guard chicks who have them, and a neighbor soccer mom has one with a COEXIST and Keep Tahoe Blue stickers in the back window. Seems to be holding up alright.

I graduated in 14. Ended up with a truck and an Rx8 (great deal, cheap to insure, drives well, doesnt break if you toss the stupid crank oil injections and premix gas, not enough power)
I am now at the point in my career that I can afford luxuries like upgrading my cars. I have no interest in trading in my 04 GMT 800, but would love to get a nicely depreciated ~3-5 yr old performance wagon. A modern version of the E39 touring.....perfect replacement for the RX8.......Oh wait..........FUCK EVERYONE WHO WANTS CROSSOVERS. So few wagons are even available here that the very few left have a stupid premium on the used market. Infuriating.

I travel a lot and rent a lot of cars. There are few things that suck more than a crossover. The only thing worse is a crossover with a CVT. Give me a minivan over one of those POS, at least they are good at something.
bmw or volvo
hate VAG.

love my e91, but it's probably older than you'd want now.
maybe F31, but I've heard they're not nearly as fun to drive. I know that I hated the '19 x3 they gave me for a loaner. ton's of power, no soul or joy.

there will be no more BMW wagons.
"that's why we build SUVs here" Is exactly the response the factory rep gave me when I asked if we'd ever get a 5 series wagon again a few years ago.
and then they stoped the 3'r as well.

maybe an e84, but then throw the SUV suspension in the trash for something lower.

the volvo wagons are immensely practical, and can be fast, but they're not "sporty" so much. but fuck me you can put 12' boards in my wife's volvo because the front seat folds flat under the dash.

TL;DR
America fucking sucks and all you fatasses want cars that are too big and tall and heavy for no fucking reason.
:flipoff2:

My only issue is Honda doesn't recommend towing anything with it.

IIRC, Subaru rates the Crosstrek to tow 1500 pounds, which isn't much. Having done it, I don't want to do that again. It takes a slow car and makes it slower, but that's not the "best" part. On a unibody car, where the hitch bolts in is basically to the cargo area floor. If you've never towed with one before, you've not experienced every bump, seam, expansion joint, pebble, etc., that shakes the back of the car, rattling the hitch in the receiver, rattling the ball on the hitch, and all of that, echoing through the cargo area into the interior. The Crosstrek is already not a quiet car (one of the complaints I've heard about them often) at road speed, the echo effect makes it sound like it's actively dismantling itself.

IIRC, Subaru rates the Crosstrek to tow 1500 pounds, which isn't much. Having done it, I don't want to do that again. It takes a slow car and makes it slower, but that's not the "best" part. On a unibody car, where the hitch bolts in is basically to the cargo area floor. If you've never towed with one before, you've not experienced every bump, seam, expansion joint, pebble, etc., that shakes the back of the car, rattling the hitch in the receiver, rattling the ball on the hitch, and all of that, echoing through the cargo area into the interior. The Crosstrek is already not a quiet car (one of the complaints I've heard about them often) at road speed, the echo effect makes it sound like it's actively dismantling itself.

The tow rating sucks choads. We have a little enclosed trailer we use regularly (tow with a Dodge 2500) and I am planning on converting a 2x jet ski trailer to tow kayaks, but the Honda is out...not bolting a shitty uhaul hitch to it just to tow. That being said, we're on the hunt for a taco or Tundra to do work and the Honda will be for run around town duty. It's a damn fine little crossover though.

I graduated in 14. Ended up with a truck and an Rx8 (great deal, cheap to insure, drives well, doesnt break if you toss the stupid crank oil injections and premix gas, not enough power)
I am now at the point in my career that I can afford luxuries like upgrading my cars. I have no interest in trading in my 04 GMT 800, but would love to get a nicely depreciated ~3-5 yr old performance wagon. A modern version of the E39 touring.....perfect replacement for the RX8.......Oh wait..........FUCK EVERYONE WHO WANTS CROSSOVERS. So few wagons are even available here that the very few left have a stupid premium on the used market. Infuriating.

I travel a lot and rent a lot of cars. There are few things that suck more than a crossover. The only thing worse is a crossover with a CVT. Give me a minivan over one of those POS, at least they are good at something.

It's because wagons are a shitty, cheap solution to a problem that was solved by the late 1920s: Having a car that can carry people and light loads around which you can step into and drive comfortably.

Wagons were the cheap solution after cars went from big and high to low and wide. That was a late 1950s marketing thing from the Big 3. I always said, if people had a choice, they would choose something like

39-chrysler-3.jpg

So when they made cars low and wide, they just added a big section in the back and called it a wagon. They didn't start with a wagon and say "How can we make a family car that can go on road trips and also get the groceries?" If they had done that, they would have the modern Crossover.

So wagons were the piece of shit half-solution to a problem their chassis was never designed to solve. Then Chrysler came out with the minivan, which approximated the size and usefullness of the Trad '30-50s sedan.

caravan-side-e1506994495340-630x327.jpg

Then that kind of niched out and people wanted SUVs, which again were a shitty solution to the problem, they were either Trucks and killed morons (exploder), or they were just glorified cars (rav4).

So, now back to this:

2019-dodge-journey-vlp-safety-safekeeping.jpg.image.1000.jpg

That is the best solution. It's what people want. You don't sit DOWN into a car, which is a pia. You don't step UP into a truck or frame SUV, which is a pia. It's not a modified car, which is what wagons are, the worst of both worlds: heavy, low, can't access, step down, bad mileage, etc etc. Wagons are shit.

Crossovers are not. The seat height is where your ass is when you stand up, so you step INTO the car, not up or down. It drives safe (enough). You can see. You can carry your family. It gets good gas mileage. It carries the groceries.

Wagons and Body-Frame SUVs adapted from pickup trucks were the shit solutions to the problem for 98% of people.

You can like wagons, just saying, they're rare because the suck at solving the problem.

My parents have a outback, looking to trade up to Ascent for more room. At their age I’m just happy for all the driver safety stuff (eyesight), the outback is only 4years old and has been trouble free. I think they are decent little cars.

We bought a Kia Sorento to replace our wrecked Crosstrek. Wife liked the Crosstrek but hated leather, was OK with the power but more is always better, wanted third row seats, liked the AWD, the Kia got her more of what she wanted, and is only a little less on the gas mileage. The level of traction control compensating for bad conditions or bad driver is substantially less on the Kia than what the Subaru had, but the power is almost double.

Supposedly the new Ford Fusion is going to be a higher riding station wagon (All-road, Crosstek, etc).

2022-ford-fusion-test-mule-spied-in-the-us-features-focus-turnier-bodywork-138623_1.jpg

But I'd rather have a used 4matic Mercedes wagon than a new Ford.

bmw or volvo
hate VAG.

love my e91, but it's probably older than you'd want now.
maybe F31, but I've heard they're not nearly as fun to drive. I know that I hated the '19 x3 they gave me for a loaner. ton's of power, no soul or joy.

there will be no more BMW wagons.
"that's why we build SUVs here" Is exactly the response the factory rep gave me when I asked if we'd ever get a 5 series wagon again a few years ago.
and then they stoped the 3'r as well.

maybe an e84, but then throw the SUV suspension in the trash for something lower.

the volvo wagons are immensely practical, and can be fast, but they're not "sporty" so much. but fuck me you can put 12' boards in my wife's volvo because the front seat folds flat under the dash.

TL;DR
America fucking sucks and all you fatasses want cars that are too big and tall and heavy for no fucking reason.
:flipoff2:

It irritates me that we cant have decent looking cheap wagons here. The mazda 6 wagon would be outstanding to have. From a looks & practicality standpoint. Much better vehicle than the CX5. I have driven both. When a wagon is not practical enough, its time to be using the truck. A few posts back i was saying that i didnt care about gas millage....its true, but the CUV look like shit, drive like shit, get shit gas mileage, have no utility. A wagon smokes a CUV in every category other than utility space.
Click image for larger version  Name:	mazda-6-wagon-2016-01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	79808

I agree with 87Manchee, they just dont drive like a sports wagon. But dang it, they are cool, practical and should be affordable. I do like the volvos. Likely what will have to be bought as my replacement as I dont want to justify paying for a newer AMG wagon. $$$

I go back to my normal opinion that 50% or more of people are cun ts, to stupid to breathe, and just follow all the other lemmings incapable of critical thought.

Last edited:
The 2.5L is available in the Crosstrek for 2021, it goes on sale next month.

I've been looking at a Mitsubishi Outlander. The GT has a 3.0L V6, 6spd auto and a 3500lb tow rating. Fairly inexpensive and a great warranty. There's enough room for a decent AT tire which is important for how I'll be using it.

My aunt just picked up one
I drove it and its ok
good for a larger driver and room in the back for a adult
Adaptive cruise control is cool

The lane assistance where it steers you back into the lane works and then it wont if the lines are faded but I turned that shit off after a few min

all the safety shit was a distraction and kept making me look down at the little screen to see why the beeper was going off

same goes for the auto start/stop,turned that off to

Once setup the infotainment stereo is cool and kinda easy to use,my aunt figured out apple carplay pretty fast
Not impressed with the amount of road noise but im used to a towncar

My aunt just picked up one
I drove it and its ok
good for a larger driver and room in the back for a adult
Adaptive cruise control is cool

The lane assistance where it steers you back into the lane works and then it wont if the lines are faded but I turned that shit off after a few min

all the safety shit was a distraction and kept making me look down at the little screen to see why the beeper was going off

same goes for the auto start/stop,turned that off to

Once setup the infotainment stereo is cool and kinda easy to use,my aunt figured out apple carplay pretty fast
Not impressed with the amount of road noise but im used to a towncar

👍👍

Top Back Refresh