What's new

Any smoker fans here?

Poriggity

Ketchup Dog
Member Number
Loc
Bates City, Mo
I just got myself a Pit Boss pellet grille for my 40th birthday, and so far I love it. Only done burgers and steaks on it. Tonight I'm doing chicken breasts. Game changer for sure...

Side note, for those of you keeping up, I moved from Arrowhead to Reno to just east of Kansas City, Mo. This is my current view from where my smoker is located... who else loves smoking meats??:lmao:

20200527_160554.jpg

20200527_160600.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a masterbuilt electric smoker. I use it at least once a week in the summer.

I had a receipe for smoked chicken in the cooking forum. I should probably get around to posting a few more.

I have a "Smokin-it" electric smoker that takes chunks (or chips) of wood. I use it quite often.

I'd love to have a larger offset wood burning smoker.

Misery is only slightly better.

I'm fucking up my east and west, ugh I need to wrap this stupid project up and get time outside of the lab.

I have a 19yo daughter that still doesn't know her left/rights. She's damn smart but dumb about some things

I have the same grill as the op and I love it. Did some ribs on it a few weeks ago that turned out awesome. They were pre-seasoned ribs from costco. I smoked them for about 4 hours with hickory pellets, then smothered on some sauce and turned up the heat to cook them the rest of the way. Damn they were good.

I've been on a Smoking and Grilling kick for about 15 years now.

Been through them all (except for electric)

I got one of these a few years ago and got rid of everything else.

it truly does everything and does it well, they are worth the money.

I love mine, I have used it 100's of times

8d-7d2a6a129d9f_1.26364d05e200fc101aa66ad42ef5a573.jpg

I have a gas grill, a cheap $100 wood fired offset smoker I use for brisket and cold smoking cheeses, and a pit barrel for ribs, chicken and pork butts.

Yeah, I have the sickness. I brought the pit barrel to KOH last year and spent a couple days babysitting it. We ate real good that week.

61E96D36-BE69-433B-8BA1-9C33D848E58E.jpeg
You’re not a Pirate, err Irate, unless you build your own! Ugly Drum Smoker for me, second one I’ve built. Added some feet to keep it out of the dirt after the bottom rusted out of my first one.

I've got an electric smoker and a weber propane grill. The weber just bit the dust, $450 to get all the parts needed to rebuild it. So I've been looking at pellet grills. Do you grill on them or just smoke?

Tonight I'm making chicken breasts on the smoker with cauliflower as a side and a greens salad with items taken from my wifes garden.. not bad.. should be a nice dinner.

20200527_171329.jpg

I'v been using a Masterbuilt electric for about 5 years or more now, ready to move onto something better. Was looking at propane but wondering if i'd be better with a pellet smoker. Wood would just be too much work for me at this point..

What brands hold up and are worth looking at?

69FC0172-BA6A-4CB7-AA6F-03774EB7767A.jpeg
Love smokers! I do not own one yet been thinking about getting one. Will be watching what everyone suggests. I built my buddy a huge reverse flow bbq. I get invited over every-time he smokes something. He tried a new recipe for ribs last weekend I had to go taste test lol. Best kind of smoker is the one all I have to do is show up and eat,

I have a Yoder 640 that I love. Had it maybe 8 years or so. You can grill on it, but I don't prefer it. It does very well with a set of grill grates, but I hate to pull the thing apart for the conversion. So I typically grill on a weber kettle, and smoke on the Yoder. And the Yoder can make excellent pizzas, but I'm too lazy for that anymore. Once it hits 500 or so it has to stay there for a damn hour to burn off all the fat that's been deposited from the smokes. Not to mention a fancy homemade pizza will cost maybe $40 for ingredients that will usually go bad before they're used again, because I'm lazy.

So, I recommend people have a smoker and a grill. One can do everything, but it's easier when you don't make it.

Welcome to MO.

I've built and bought so many smokers trying to find what I like its crazy. I finally landed on a master-built electric smoker, I put pellets into a amazin tray which I put in a mailbox thats ducted to where the chips tray used to be. The masterbuilts are knows for being 10ish degrees of in temp reading so use your own thermometer, then your set. It stays there no matter how long you have it on and pellet chips can run for like 14hrs .... which is silly because the meat wouldn't take smoke that long .. but you could.

my $.02 on that pellet smoker you got it only put in the amount of pellets you think you need. Here in Missery ... err Missouri the pellets will soak up a bit of that swamp ass summers air and wont burn as good.

I have the same grill as the op and I love it. Did some ribs on it a few weeks ago that turned out awesome. They were pre-seasoned ribs from costco. I smoked them for about 4 hours with hickory pellets, then smothered on some sauce and turned up the heat to cook them the rest of the way. Damn they were good.

Cacophony of flavors. Uncut hickory almost takes too much room to put in your own spices and sauces. Kinda like to do half-half hickory and other hardwood.

You’re not a Pirate, err Irate, unless you build your own! Ugly Drum Smoker for me, second one I’ve built. Added some feet to keep it out of the dirt after the bottom rusted out of my first one.

Perfect. Let's see the pics.

Tonight I'm making chicken breasts on the smoker with cauliflower as a side and a greens salad with items taken from my wifes garden.. not bad.. should be a nice dinner.

The chicken I made on my pellet grille says otherwise. Not all of us have all day to tend to a wood fired smoker :flipoff2::flipoff2:

The only problem is you can't go out in the woods and cut your own pellets. And if you want different flavors, you have to shop from a store. How much are apple and pear pellets?

Otherwise pellets right now seem to be where EFI was at in 1988. I love pellets for heating, love the idea for cooking.

I've got an ugly drum smoker I built - second one for me as well. I think I have $50 into both of them, over the course of 10 years? :smokin: I need to find a weber kettle lid for this one so I can do a full turkey easily.

I grill on a propane weber that I've had for decade as well. Love it.

Next one I get will probably be an Oklahoma Joe - my buddy has one and swears it's better than his Fancy electric smoker (Traeger knockoff). The electric is really nice for long smokes though.

Anyone have a good cold smoke method for a gas grill?:confused:

I've got an ugly drum smoker I built - second one for me as well. I think I have $50 into both of them, over the course of 10 years? :smokin: I need to find a weber kettle lid for this one so I can do a full turkey easily.

I grill on a propane weber that I've had for decade as well. Love it.

Next one I get will probably be an Oklahoma Joe - my buddy has one and swears it's better than his Fancy electric smoker (Traeger knockoff). The electric is really nice for long smokes though.

Anyone have a good cold smoke method for a gas grill?:confused:

Offset burner basket???

I got a propane Masterbuilt last year and like it. I was given an electric version years ago that finally got retired. Hickory smoked chicken is awesome and makes phenomenal chicken salad. Cherry and apple make yummy pulled pork and ribs.

I thought all the fegs :rainbow: stayed on PBB with their electric smokers. :evil:

I have a UDS, small wood pit for quick Sunday BBQs, bigger bbq pit for bigger cuts of meat, a semi big trailer offset fire box smoker, and trying to build a huge trailer pit for big gatherings. Hopefully later this year when it cools down. My father in law cooks often on his traeger. Food is always moist but never has any Smokey flavor. It’s lead me to believe to never buy one. My friend has a green egg and we once made some steaks on there and had to be one of the best steaks I’ve ever had. I’ve been sticking to a 60/40 pecan/mesquite combo that’s worked incredibly well on brisket, pork belly, ribs, fajitas (tri tip for you Californians), dinosaur ribs.

My go-to for smoking is my UDS. It can hang with the best of them for $100 and a rusted out bottom. :grinpimp:

4E3C9906-1807-460D-8352-6CD4F9ECF3B1.jpeg

Top Back Refresh