What's new

Any smoker fans here?

Is there some kind of trick to not making every fucking thing cooked on a smoker taste like a fucking forest fire...Seriously?

I cant tell the difference between a backyard BBQ or a brush pile burning in someone's back yard around here. :barf:​​​​ I totally do not get the smoker fad...

I have a Green Mountain Grill that has been used and abused. I made this meme shortly after the lockdown happened.
3th3pw.jpg

Inherited a Traeger pellet grill we gave my grandpa about 20 years ago, I think it was used twice before I got it. We got a half side of beef in February before all the Covid stuff went down just dumb luck. We had all these cuts of meat I hadn’t reall cooked before. Thank goodness for the traeger because it has turned some large chunks of cheap meats into killer meals.

I like the spices and sauces from Malcolm at howtobbqright.com. We just made the Mississippi poboy this week and it was awesome

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WPZ34opHtjs

tryingto get some experience before attempting the brisket.

Other than the paint burning off of it is probably toxic as hell and would ruin the food.

Running a rec tec pellet smoker grill for the last few years. Runs awesome. Good for smoking and grilling.

Hate it if you want, but I just want it to cook at the temp I set it at without having to babysit it.

Got the Grilla grills Silverback pellet smoker on black Friday. Been burning pellets weekly since and have bean been happy with the Bear Mountain pellets. My local Coastal Farm & Ranch carries them. Buy one get one half off for Memorial day was a bonus.

Picked up a brisket from Costco to do this Saturday. Might pull a pork butt out of the freezer too. I like to vacuum pack lunch size portions of pulled pork, freeze and pull out when I'm craving it. Used up my last portion last week.

Also on the pellet grill I will sometimes use a smoke tube to add some more smoke. Click image for larger version  Name:	20200510_170623.jpg Views:	0 Size:	470.2 KB ID:	16518

I have a small smoker A friend of mine gave me, for when I don’t want to fire up the big one.

the big one is one my brother and I went halves on. We (I) was going to build one, but it was hard to pass this one up for the price. I modified the “keep warm” cabinet to hold 60 links of sausage for when we make that. On a side note, we actually won 2nd place in a bbq contest for our chicken. So there’s that. I may never win anything like that again, but I did win one.

photo4160.jpg

photo4165.jpg

photo4166.jpg

Y'all sumbitches are making me hungry. I could eat that stuff everyday even when not hungry :smokin:

Love the smoker, but a word of caution if you're going to do kippered beef. It's like jerky, but smoke instead of dehydrator. You might read where they say it will take 8 hours or 12 hours. Nonsense. Make sure you check it after an hour and then every half hour. I think mine only took like 2-3 hours to turn into bricks. Good smoky flavor though, despite not being as soft as jerky.

Got the Grilla grills Silverback pellet smoker on black Friday. Been burning pellets weekly since and have bean been happy with the Bear Mountain pellets. My local Coastal Farm & Ranch carries them. Buy one get one half off for Memorial day was a bonus.

Picked up a brisket from Costco to do this Saturday. Might pull a pork butt out of the freezer too. I like to vacuum pack lunch size portions of pulled pork, freeze and pull out when I'm craving it. Used up my last portion last week.

Also on the pellet grill I will sometimes use a smoke tube to add some more smoke. filedata/fetch?id=16518&d=1590633475

Love it. I saw this 6" smoke tube at dollar general for $5.. kinda hard to beat for the price. It's not as big as some of the other ones, but I figured I would give it a shot.

Last edited:
I've been on a Smoking and Grilling kick for about 15 years now.

Been through them all (except for electric)

I got one of these a few years ago and got rid of everything else.

it truly does everything and does it well, they are worth the money.

I love mine, I have used it 100's of times

8d-7d2a6a129d9f_1.26364d05e200fc101aa66ad42ef5a573.jpg

I couldn't agree more! I have the Primo ovel XL and it does everything you need it to. Sear, smoke, BBQ are no issue. The longest cook I've done was 14 hours, but there was plenty of coals left to make it closer to 20.

I couldn't agree more! I have the Primo ovel XL and it does everything you need it to. Sear, smoke, BBQ are no issue. The longest cook I've done was 14 hours, but there was plenty of coals left to make it closer to 20.

Yes The longest cook I have done was about 14 hours as well, it was a large pork butt. Funny enough I did it for a local business that was doing a demostration of there Big Green Egg.

I brought it to them in the morning and they put it on there Egg and pretended they cooked it. - lol

For real, it is the perfect cooker, I do everything on it and use it once a week still after having it for 4 years.

Cheapo charcoal smoker here. Works well although has trouble staying at 200f. Any ideas.

check the airflow. Does it need more? Does it need less?

My buddy pulled is oklahoma joe apart and sealed it with hi-temp caulk and fire rope, and the tempurature jumped ~30 degrees.

I have grilled all my adult life and finally broke down and got a Green Mountain Grill pellet pooper last year. It’s been a rockstar and makes amazing food.

I still think everyone needs a hot ass grill and a low and slow smoker. You can grill on a smoker and smoke on a grill but they don’t do the best job.

buddy of mine got me set up with a Traeger. I had used my BIL gravity fed Stumps Smoker in the past, and loved the way it worked, but i wasn't going to spend $4k and the Traeger was free.

Pellets are nice. We put a Brisket on the other night at 2:00am, and woke up at 6:00am to check the hopper and make sure it still had pellets.

For the person that asked, a Traeger will not get hot enough to grill on. mine, at 6600' of altitude, won't get above 400.

as for the fire taste question. hickory pellets/wood are for beef. if you're doing a shoulder, use a fruit wood and it'll be much less potent.

Since i've been working from home these last 2-3 months, i've done 3 briskets, some salmon and 4-5 pork butts.

I have had a few over the last 20 years. I think I started with one that looked like R2D2 and it worked great for hot smoking. Over the last 5-6 years i have really become more interested in cold smoking fish and cheese in addition to the hot smoker. I finally built a cold smoker out of a mini fridge and ammo can. The previous sentence is why I never post on public forums. Temp, humidity and smoke level are monitored by sensors on an arduino and the data is sent to my laptop in the house via a point to point wifi radio. Worked well the first two times I have used it, but maybe not everyone's cup of tea. I do enjoy ribs, chicken and fish on the hot smoker though.

check the airflow. Does it need more? Does it need less?

My buddy pulled is oklahoma joe apart and sealed it with hi-temp caulk and fire rope, and the tempurature jumped ~30 degrees.

Thanks man, this thing is definitely not sealed tight, I’ll do some experimenting.

I have had a few over the last 20 years. I think I started with one that looked like R2D2 and it worked great for hot smoking. Over the last 5-6 years i have really become more interested in cold smoking fish and cheese in addition to the hot smoker. I finally built a cold smoker out of a mini fridge and ammo can. The previous sentence is why I never post on public forums. Temp, humidity and smoke level are monitored by sensors on an arduino and the data is sent to my laptop in the house via a point to point wifi radio. Worked well the first two times I have used it, but maybe not everyone's cup of tea. I do enjoy ribs, chicken and fish on the hot smoker though.

well shit, post up some pics. That sounds awesome :smokin: (pun intended)

I want to get into cold smoking as well, mainly for cheese since I can't catch kings here in OK.

And an ammo can and fridge seem about perfect for Irate smoker builds :grinpimp:

I am not sure I am prepared for the shit I am going to get, but I guess it is all in good. The fish is in brine for 24 hours, rinsed for 12 and dried for 12. Cheese is just frozen and tossed in day of. I can give you more details on the setup. In 80F, the smoker was at 26F without smoke, 43 with...I'll post some more of the process. It isn't too hard.

photo4432.jpg

I am not sure I am prepared for the shit I am going to get, but I guess it is all in good. The fish is in brine for 24 hours, rinsed for 12 and dried for 12. Cheese is just frozen and tossed in day of. I can give you more details on the setup. In 80F, the smoker was at 26F without smoke, 43 with...I'll post some more of the process. It isn't too hard.

i always assumed cold smoking was in the low 100's versus 225 or so. never realized it was really cold.

I have had a Traeger 22 for about 18 months and love it. We cook all kinds of stuff on it, use it to bake, etc. In Phoenix it is nice to bake in the Traeger in the summer time so you don't have to blast all that heat into your house, just to pay to have the AC make it cold again.

Yes The longest cook I have done was about 14 hours as well, it was a large pork butt. Funny enough I did it for a local business that was doing a demostration of there Big Green Egg.

I brought it to them in the morning and they put it on there Egg and pretended they cooked it. - lol

For real, it is the perfect cooker, I do everything on it and use it once a week still after having it for 4 years.

I bought a kamado joe about 2 years ago. Best purchase ever. Its fantastic, steak, seared ahi, shrimp, chicken, brisket, butts, chili in dutch oven....all amazing

Now what you really need to buy with one of the kamados is http://smobot.com/

Its a controller that adjusts your upper damper for you. I can do a 20 hr smoke on my Joe with zero effort after the intial setup. So much better than stopping by every 2 hrs to tweak the temperature. Now i have no qualms about starting a smoke at 2am and going back to bed:laughing::smokin:

Edit: Another perk of the smobot is that it runs standalone and on wifi. Its great to be able to leave the house etc and still control your cook.

Last edited:
Love the smoker, but a word of caution if you're going to do kippered beef. It's like jerky, but smoke instead of dehydrator. You might read where they say it will take 8 hours or 12 hours. Nonsense. Make sure you check it after an hour and then every half hour. I think mine only took like 2-3 hours to turn into bricks. Good smoky flavor though, despite not being as soft as jerky.

Got it cover over the years. “Way back in the day” we cold smoked for 24 hours. This was a 10’ x15’ smoke house that was over 100 years old. We only smoked sausage when Outside temps were no higher than 50* (the colder the better though). The Fire was outside and smoke was inside, so the temps were roughly ambient temps. That was some of the best sausage ever.

That smoke house had to come down about 5 years ago due to......not being safe anymore. now with my current smoker, we use cure in our seasoning and only smoke 4-5 hours and try to keep temps as low as possible. There’s an adjustable divider between the main chamber and keep warm box to keep temps where you want them. It has taken some adjustment to get it right, but no Ill effect as of yet. Once they are dehydrated, I pull them.

nom nom nom.

I bought a kamado joe about 2 years ago. Best purchase ever. Its fantastic, steak, seared ahi, shrimp, chicken, brisket, butts, chili in dutch oven....all amazing

Now what you really need to buy with one of the kamados is http://smobot.com/

Its a controller that adjusts your upper damper for you. I can do a 20 hr smoke on my Joe with zero effort after the intial setup. So much better than stopping by every 2 hrs to tweak the temperature. Now i have no qualms about starting a smoke at 2am and going back to bed:laughing::smokin:

Edit: Another perk of the smobot is that it runs standalone and on wifi. Its great to be able to leave the house etc and still control your cook.

I have not seen that product before, wow dude, that is pretty sweet.

Top Back Refresh