North of the 42nd
This is my primary setup for wildlife.

Canon 7Dmk2 and 500mm F4

500mmf4.jpeg

How most people think I shoot.

camoshoot.jpeg

How I actually shoot

camoshoot.jpeg

Not too much in terms gear but I've been using a Canon 70D and a 20D for bodies and my primary lenses are 100-400mm and a 18-135mm. for macro photos, I use a 10-18mm

MqxfmWml.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	MqxfmWml.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	9605

one of the shots I got from this year's KOH
ImTreWll.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	ImTreWll.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	9606

I have a Nikon D300, I use a f/1.8 35mm lens most of the time. Also have the the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. I like how cameras plummet in value faster than cell phones, I don’t have any need for the latest and greatest.

This is my list of camera gear not including the portrait studio.

Canon Rebel S II, Canon XS, Canon T5i, Canon 7D Mk2
75-300mm F4-5.6(currently broken), 70-200 F4 L, 400mm F5.6 L, 500mm F4 L

Last edited:
I could use a new high MP camera. I'm poor these days and shoot with a Nikon D3400. I use the cheap 70-300mm but shoot a lot of sports. It is right on the edge of just being enough to shoot football, softball, baseball, volleyball and basketball. I do sports graphics for my girls' basketball team.

Another parent has a new mirrorless that is about the same MP but when I use his pics, it does such a good job of spreading the colors across transitions that my graphics suffer. I actually get better graphic pictures from my $500 setup than his $7K setup.

I'm taking pics just to get it done and have had several professionals give me creds. In sports, understanding the game and catching the action goes a long way vs, just pointing, shooting and then cropping. I'm so far from professionals but I do frame sports action pretty well.

Also, I take single exposures and don't do the multiple. The professionals are busy deleting pics from their cameras and saving the main one and missing action.

Uh, I still have my Nikon D80? lol probably time for a new body, although I'm thinking mirrorless.

I have a Nikon D300, I use a f/1.8 35mm lens most of the time. Also have the the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. I like how cameras plummet in value faster than cell phones, I don’t have any need for the latest and greatest.

True that. I picked my 100-400mm used (and it was rebuilt prior to sale) for a really good price. I wouldn't mind upgrading the 20D to a newer body but it's still a great work horse that takes a beating.

Also, if you have an instagram account and want to share your pics, post up your tag. mine's acardena13

Last edited:
80D

It is more camera than I have skills to utilize, but I enjoy pretending I know what I’m doing.

I bought it with the “premium” kit lens, 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM seen in the photo, and I use it more than any other lenses.

other lenses include:
50mm f/1.8 STM
35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM
70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

F08B6E61-B33D-4FF5-AAF0-9454F08DD080.jpeg

Top Back Refresh