What's new

Any Australians here willing to help a guy out?

I don't know why you dumbasses are talking about ITAR, because ITAR is a US law governing EXPORTS from the US of military/defense sensitive items.

Jnull needs an individual in Australia to mail him a peice of metal. I don't know Australian rules but it sounds like a "business" can't ship it because of some laws. I'm not certain, but it sounds like an individual could mail this peice of metal from australiana.

​​​​​​Maybe OllieNZ knows. He's Australian, I think.

I'm a kiwi, so no idea on the rules in Aus. I do know in NZ weapon parts aren't just considered "lumps of metal" and as such will attract the attention of customs but if it's on the way out I suppose they may be less inclined to pay attention.

On the subject of ITAR (I've had death by PowerPoint on the subject a few times over the years:rolleyes:), it's not just for exports from the US, hell the item doesn't even have to be made in the US. Anything that's ITAR controlled is covered for its entire life and any after sale even outside the US still has to confrom to the rules. I wouldn't have thought a civilian hunting rifle would fall under ITAR.

I don't know why you dumbasses are talking about ITAR, because ITAR is a US law governing EXPORTS from the US of military/defense sensitive items.

Jnull needs an individual in Australia to mail him a peice of metal. I don't know Australian rules but it sounds like a "business" can't ship it because of some laws. I'm not certain, but it sounds like an individual could mail this peice of metal from australiana.

​​​​​​Maybe OllieNZ knows. He's Australian, I think.

You clearly don't know the rules nor have dealt with this on a regular basis.

Hint. 90% of the stuff I work on for a living is somehow ITAR controlled "because attack helicopter." Lord of War lies, painting a red cross on the side of it won't change that.

Last edited:
Absolutely it does. It goes bang, or it's part of something that goes bang, or you could install it on something that goes bang, or use it to control something that goes bang, ITAR.

Pretty simple.

USML Chapter 1 (weapons under .50cal and shotguns) appears to only cover caseless weapons, automatic weapons, components to make weapons automatic, noise suppression devices, auto targeting, stabilization and weapons/components with a specific military interest.

Nothing about civilian weapons :confused: ergo civilian weapons are not covered by ITAR

Please tell me what I've missed?
​​​​​

USML Chapter 1 (weapons under .50cal and shotguns) appears to only cover caseless weapons, automatic weapons, components to make weapons automatic, noise suppression devices, auto targeting, stabilization and weapons/components with a specific military interest.

Nothing about civilian weapons :confused: ergo civilian weapons are not covered by ITAR

Please tell me what I've missed?
​​​​​

That you've never tried to do it. :laughing:

I don't know if all you're getting out of them is a letter saying it doesn't meet the requirements to be controlled or what, but there is no way around it, ITAR plays a roll and will prevent you from just having it shipped across the border. There's a couple business here that all they do is import/export firearms and parts thereof because of this. If you're under the dollar value exemption it isn't normally an issue, other than vendors not wanting to risk dealing with it.

That you've never tried to do it. :laughing:

I don't know if all you're getting out of them is a letter saying it doesn't meet the requirements to be controlled or what, but there is no way around it, ITAR plays a roll and will prevent you from just having it shipped across the border. There's a couple business here that all they do is import/export firearms and parts thereof because of this. If you're under the dollar value exemption it isn't normally an issue, other than vendors not wanting to risk dealing with it.

What decides the dollar value on say a used part an individual is selling to me?

What decides the dollar value on say a used part an individual is selling to me?

For what that is just value it at whatever a factory one would be (well under $100, $50-70~ should do I imagine?) and it should be fine. The exemption used to be $150 (US) so as long as it was valued below that you were still fine if they figured out what it was.

Also, have them ship it under the customs description of "machined parts" and it won't be an issue. It's how I have had parts (triggers, internal parts, etc) brought in. Stocks are shipped as "furniture" I believe, but I haven't brought a stock in yet.

Umm... I'm going to do some reading. It turns out it may have changed for the better.

For what that is just value it at whatever a factory one would be (well under $100, $50-70~ should do I imagine?) and it should be fine. The exemption used to be $150 (US) so as long as it was valued below that you were still fine if they figured out what it was.

Also, have them ship it under the customs description of "machined parts" and it won't be an issue. It's how I have had parts (triggers, internal parts, etc) brought in. Stocks are shipped as "furniture" I believe, but I haven't brought a stock in yet.

Umm... I'm going to do some reading. It turns out it may have changed for the better.

Buying it directly from them is only $181 US so it’s not far off to begin with. It really shouldn’t be an issue getting someone to send it to me

Buying it directly from them is only $181 US so it’s not far off to begin with. It really shouldn’t be an issue getting someone to send it to me

Reading more on it they've changed all the rules in May, but haven't really clarified that to anyone and aren't because of COVID.

I'd just do it at this point with a $70~ value for machined parts.

Apparently they're going to finally get ITAR's fingers out of the civilian small arms BS, hence why it isn't in there anymore as OllieNZ said. I don't know what that means for everything else now though. They were always the obvious hurdle to import/export in my experience.

Top Back Refresh