What's new

Another Trans thread in Chitchat, Tacoma edition

Juztyn00

Logically Irrational
Member Number
My 06 Tacoma 2wd beater has a weird transmission issue, My best guess is the Lock up converter is kicking in and out about every 10 seconds at highway speeds. Does this only when warm and sooner if I'm pulling my little mower trailer. Does this in Drive or 3. May be related or not but it takes a long time to go into drive or reverse when cold, at least 10-15 seconds. Been like that for a long time before the in and out issue started. Truck is a beater, dash lit up like an xmas tree, and was used as a vacuum truck for the local mall most of its life before I got it, 225K on the clock. Trans is full of fluid. I can ignore most of it's flaws but this one is mildly annoying. Any diagnostic thoughts?

brake pedal just enough to light up the brake lights, should unlock the converter

Filter change?

brake pedal just enough to light up the brake lights, should unlock the converter

Filter change?
I'll check the brake switch adjustment but it starts after about 10 minutes of driving then a fairly consistent rhythm after.

My old lady’s 09 had a pretty bad shutter into 2nd. 148k on it. She traded it in on a 22 6spd, fixed the trans issue she was having.
But does it have a dump bed? That’s really the only reason I keep this. It’s dang handy.
067BE5E5-AEAB-4857-AAA0-4D920B21E47A.jpeg
w

Kinda sounds like there is a fluid supply issue. For the not going into gear when cold, a seal is hard, brittle possibly cracked which allows the pump to suck in air instead of fluid. And when you are at speed maybe the fluid becomes so aerated that it loses pressure and one of the pistons backs off a band and you get slippage.

My guess is the seal with the trans filter goes into the trans. I dont remember what your specific one looks like, some filters have a plastic dick sticking up and there is a seal around the dick where it stabs into the trans.

I have seen a failed dick seal cause all the symptoms you are describing on other vehicles.

Kinda sounds like there is a fluid supply issue. For the not going into gear when cold, a seal is hard, brittle possibly cracked which allows the pump to suck in air instead of fluid. And when you are at speed maybe the fluid becomes so aerated that it loses pressure and one of the pistons backs off a band and you get slippage.

My guess is the seal with the trans filter goes into the trans. I dont remember what your specific one looks like, some filters have a plastic dick sticking up and there is a seal around the dick where it stabs into the trans. I have seen a failed dick seal cause all the symptoms you are describing on other vehicles.
I would suspect a dick seal to get better as it warms up and fluid and the seal expand. Also his dick is so short it would be an easy test to overfill the trans by a quart or two and see if it still does it.

It's likely the converter clutch for lock up, I've done a few of them. Drive them till the fluid gets warm and you'll feel it shudder and go in and out of lock up. You can check the TPS and see if it thinks you're into the throttle more than you actually are but usually once they start doing that there's no turning back.

Who buys an automatic toyota?
Like 99% of customer. Most Tacoma/4Runner/Highlander/Venza/Sienna buyers are yuppies who have driven a Prius for 10yr and are trading in for something that better fits their new "I just bought a house in the suburbs and/or popped out some crotchfruit" lifestyle. These are the kind of people who hate driving and want an appliance and every control you remove from them the more they like it.

I would suspect a dick seal to get better as it warms up and fluid and the seal expand. Also his dick is so short it would be an easy test to overfill the trans by a quart or two and see if it still does it.
I agree and it sounds like it does get better in terms of the initial shift from park. But at highway speed with vehicle under a load and he mentioned towing a trailer, there is higher fluid pressure/volume demand. And if that seal is questionable, you will see it fail under that full load condition. It came from auction, who knows if that filter was ever replaced, maybe just fluid drain and fill (or not). Besides, fluid and filter change is going to be easiest first repair

no I mean drag the brakes to keep it unlocked to see if the surge is the converter or something else
Took it for a drive, The converter kicks on and kicks off if you touch the brakes. That is most definitely what I'm feeling.

Checked codes, Evap system is screwed and cat is gone so its not happy about that. Has a code for drivers front speed sensor, that may be a partial issue and has a few codes for the airbag due to the driver's seat being mostly destroyed. Nothing transmission related.

I agree and it sounds like it does get better in terms of the initial shift from park. But at highway speed with vehicle under a load and he mentioned towing a trailer, there is higher fluid pressure/volume demand. And if that seal is questionable, you will see it fail under that full load condition. It came from auction, who knows if that filter was ever replaced, maybe just fluid drain and fill (or not). Besides, fluid and filter change is going to be easiest first repair
It only takes a while to go into gear on the first start of the day., Doesn't feel like it's slipping when driving. I ordered a filter kit but always have been hesitant to change fluid on high mile vehicles with questionable service history. Guess I'll give it a go. Little to lose if its already screwed up.

It only takes a while to go into gear on the first start of the day., Doesn't feel like it's slipping when driving. I ordered a filter kit but always have been hesitant to change fluid on high mile vehicles with questionable service history. Guess I'll give it a go. Little to lose if its already screwed up.
Just don't do a flush, a dump and fill won't hurt it and will only probably do 1/3rd of the fluid if it's anything like the other Toyota automatic transmissions I've done this on.

Top Back Refresh