PXL_20230116_122844191.jpg
PXL_20230116_122815513.jpg
PXL_20230116_122807811.jpg
PXL_20230116_122755027.jpg
PXL_20230116_122733582.MP.jpg
PXL_20230116_122726312.MP.jpg
PXL_20230116_122704194.jpg
PXL_20230116_122654355.MP.jpg

The guys on southern airboat are saying this is a GPU conversation. It doesn't have a veratherm it uses a viscosity valve. Just checked it and the spring is broken
PXL_20230116_183658286.jpg

The front seat on the new one is a couple inches higher, almost the same height as the old ones rear seat. New ones a foot longer, has a wider bow and wider sides
PXL_20230116_191033919.MP.jpg
PXL_20230116_190923293.jpg
PXL_20230116_190903877.jpg

Now that I'm thinking about it, a heavier/longer spring would make it run colder since the bypass would be open less. So it should have been running hot with the broken spring. Maybe I need a external oil cooler thermostat?

I filled the holes for the rigging and refilled, the front ones were wallered out, it was letting the hull flex. Reinstalled the center hull jack and set it to bearly put pressure on the center. I'll take pictures of that tomorrow. Replaced the trim tab and put the front of the engine up two washers. It should ride way better now.

These engines are know for blowing oil out the breather. Right now it has one breather in the front one in the back. It's recommended to just run the front one, the back blows more oil out.
My front breather was 3/4" with a 1" hose squeezed down to it. I took the plate it's welded on off today to weld on a 1 1/4" barb instead. While that plates off should I weld some sort of baffle behind it? There's plenty of room behind it.

I filled the holes for the rigging and refilled, the front ones were wallered out, it was letting the hull flex. Reinstalled the center hull jack and set it to bearly put pressure on the center. I'll take pictures of that tomorrow. Replaced the trim tab and put the front of the engine up two washers. It should ride way better now.

These engines are know for blowing oil out the breather. Right now it has one breather in the front one in the back. It's recommended to just run the front one, the back blows more oil out.
My front breather was 3/4" with a 1" hose squeezed down to it. I took the plate it's welded on off today to weld on a 1 1/4" barb instead. While that plates off should I weld some sort of baffle behind it? There's plenty of room behind it.

my airplane has an air oil separator can on the breather line and drains the oil back

my airplane has an air oil separator can on the breather line and drains the oil back
A lot of guys do that for these also. I think I'm going to try just the breather with no baffle, and if I have issues I'll get a separator.

Here's the hull jack.
PXL_20230129_224001356.MP.jpg

I don't think I need a catch can, after taking it out yesterday there was no oil in the end of the breather hose. How ever everything else was covered in oil. The plate I took off to weld the bigger breather to was leaking pretty bad.
The hottest it got was 160. I have a external thermostat to install, just waiting on one fitting

It’s been years since I’ve been around small plane engines does your ignition key have separate detents for checking the mags separately

I dig your build I’ve always wanted to run one of these after seeing two of them run up a river they sound awesome

I got the oil thermostat installed. I have no idea how it actually works. It looks like it oil still has full flow through the cooler.

I was told to remove and cap off the the crossover hose between the intakes. Thoughts? It's the black hose about the blue one.
PXL_20230203_203326194.MP.jpg
PXL_20230203_203252467.MP.jpg

I got the oil thermostat installed. I have no idea how it actually works. It looks like it oil still has full flow through the cooler.

I was told to remove and cap off the the crossover hose between the intakes. Thoughts? It's the black hose about the blue one.

I don’t know what that hose is. Not very versed on continental.

Finished up the new side bunks today.
It was so sketchy to pull before. The bottom of the boat has slick bottom. The rear would slide side to side about a foot, and the front could go as far as the safety chain would let it. These new bunks are longer and tighter so it shouldnt be able to slide around at all.
Just have to redo the bearings and ad some more side makers. It's a bit more then 9' wide so I'd like the 3 in the back but I don't know if I can fit them because of the dry loading dove tail.
PXL_20230205_225130635.MP.jpg

Bacho does your 470 have that intake cross over?

Finished up the new side bunks today.
It was so sketchy to pull before. The bottom of the boat has slick bottom. The rear would slide side to side about a foot, and the front could go as far as the safety chain would let it. These new bunks are longer and tighter so it shouldnt be able to slide around at all.
Just have to redo the bearings and ad some more side makers. It's a bit more then 9' wide so I'd like the 3 in the back but I don't know if I can fit them because of the dry loading dove tail.

Bacho does your 470 have that intake cross over?

I’ve been meaning to look at it since you posted the question my intake is entirely different. Has an updraft carburetor and the intake webs from the bottom. I think that hose in my application would be entirely unnecessary.

Since mine splits under the carb and goes to either side, wouldn't both sides pull what it needs? Why would the pressure/vacuum need to be equal?

Is there structure underneath the dry loading dovetail? Could you put three 1.25" holes through the wood (or is that plastic"wood"?) and embed a set of 3/4 in grommet lights in them (mounted to a small piece of plate with a 3/4" hole drilled in it)?

Aaron Z

Since mine splits under the carb and goes to either side, wouldn't both sides pull what it needs? Why would the pressure/vacuum need to be equal?

So is the trailer legal at that width? I don’t suppose you would get a ticket pulling it around local, but it’s kind of a pain if they can hold it over your head. Can you just drape an overwide banner on the back?

So you can load dry, but must be unloaded in water? Or is there a trick to getting off dry. (Reversible pitch, lol)

It's definitely oversized. My work boat is also over width. My last job I would sometimes pull a very overwith and probably over length tritoon. I looking into it then. I don't remember the numbers, but there was different levels of oversized. This boat falls into the level that needs flags on the corners and a super cheap yearly permit. Next level up adds the banner and cdl, next from there ads the chase cars.
Since I'm not commercial I'm not worried about it. But I would like everything else about the trailer legal. I think I will just push some button LEDs into the wood.
I can easily push it off by my self. Or tap the brakes in reverse.

Got the lights and reflectors fixed.
I only want one amber on the fender and one closer to the front, but the only amber this trailer originally had was the one that's right in front of the fender. So it looked dumb being so far back so I had to add a second one. It also didn't have red side makers. Or any reflectors
PXL_20230210_004733425.MP.jpg
PXL_20230210_004801606.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to figure out my intercom system. Not impressed but I think I still need to figure out the settings. It's also needs new cables, the cover is completely missing so it's just bare wire.
It has 3 headsets. One of them only sometimes can talk but it can always listen. I figured it was the cable. But now that I'm reading the manual only the driver and co driver can talk? Is that right
PXL_20230218_163224136.MP.jpg

I know on aviation intercoms, they have a pilot and crew isolate switch. They do that because the pilot or copilot might be talking to tower and don’t want the pax jabbering.

Heading to this next weekend. Should be fun.
I have to check the starter/cables. I feel like it's going to let me down.
It was pretty hot out today, the thermostat was keeping it at 180 with 4 of us.
Ran into two guys with a John boat and a broken mud motor. Towed them back to the ramp and it got up to 220. That was probably quite the ride back there
Screenshot_20230226-211803.png

Top Back Refresh