What's new

ANGELOS airboats

ANGELO

Red Numb Skull
Member Number
Loc
BRADENTON FL
Figured I should probably just make a thread for this, since I have no idea what I'm doing and this is such of mix of stuff only the builder knows what it is.

Picked this 12' Panacraft up few weeks back. Has a o235 Lycoming air craft engine. Hull seems solid, trailer is decent, rigging is fixable, engine looked decent but couldn't do a chance compression check and the starter was dead. Been sitting a very long time, it's been through 2 owners since the last person who used it, who died. Who knows when it ran last.
I want to fix it and use it. If I like it/it doesn't kill me and I actually use it I want to, sell this one and build a 13-14' with a turbo 300 engine.
If I don't actually use it I can sell it for it looks like between 6-10k.
Boat has a fairly new sheet of Polly. Decks been painted recently so the probably did stringers. The front deck is soft though.
New starter and did a compression check. One cylinder was questionable. I filles the cylinders with power tune, going to run the carbon out and test again. If I have to I'll get a used jug on eBay or something.
I sent the mags off to a airboat/aviation shop. Neither had spark.
Rebuild the carb. A complete carb kit is like 700$!! So I just did the gaskets and acceleration pump. Definitely needed it.
Got it together today, and I think I have the timing off. I had to clock the mags all the other direction for it to start. It won't idle well, and when I shut off a mag it wants to stall.

PXL_20220817_201032548.jpg
PXL_20220817_201040821.jpg
PXL_20220817_201027613.jpg
PXL_20220817_201052700.jpg
PXL_20220817_233823667.jpg

Last edited:
Buy a rusted out subaru from up north for nothing and enjoy more power and cheap parts for less than you'll have in it messing with aircraft parts that have been around water for 40 years.

I want a slightly bigger one. But this boats perfect to learn, I've never driven one before. These get beat on hard, and sink easy.
The A/c boats sell for quite a bit. So once I learn I'll build one with a car motor. I'm pretty set on the Ford 300. I already have the engine.

Nice project!

What are your compression numbers?

Lycomings are susceptible to the cam corroding and the lobes wearing away. You might have a look at that if you pull a jug.

Did the shop loan you a tool to set the timing? The time needs set in the mag and held in position while you time the mag to engine.

100-120 and the last was 30.

I think I found 25 btdc then stuck the mags in with the painted tooth in the center of the window.

Pull a set of plugs and then switch the ignition on. Make sure that the P-lead on the magneto is grounded when you hit your timing mark.

If you have an impulse coupling on one of those you need to turn the prop past it to make it pop and then back up to your timing mark.

So I should adjust the mags so the points open right at 25 correct?

Cut out some of the rusted rigging. It's all pretty bad, so I'm just doing the parts that would probably kill me. Going to rewire it while it's off.

PXL_20220914_173735952.MP.jpg
PXL_20220914_173731101.MP.jpg
PXL_20220914_173721046.MP.jpg
PXL_20220914_173713441.MP.jpg

AIRBOATS ARE RAD!

I have never driven (piloted?) one and I hope to one day.

I know fuck all about boats or airplane engines, so I guess I'm in for eventual videos.

Glasses all the holes in the stringers, so it's fresh holes with the new rigging mounts.
I'm going to weld a adapter on my intake so I can run a real filter. What's the difference between a normal k&n and their marine flame arrestor version? They are both cloth and look the same. Since it's a updraft carb, I think I'd rather something that will stop flames since it will probably have some gas dripping down.

Cool boat. I have always wanted an airboat.

Cool project! Some people run airboats on the small river around here. I guess when you cut the power while turning it goes straight. Several have done that and chucked themselves onto the sandbars.

Cool project! Some people run airboats on the small river around here. I guess when you cut the power while turning it goes straight. Several have done that and chucked themselves onto the sandbars.
its the same as jet skis. it needs thrust to turn.
If you cut the power to quickly though you will sink

I dig it I've always wanted to ride in one there's none in my area that I know of. I watched few when I was in Alaska going up 20 mile river there pretty sweet.

Prop came in today. Kinda sketchy spinning this thing up to 2700 without moving. I feel like somethings going to kill me. Going for a test drive tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's timed right, but I'm not able to shut a mag off without it diein. Not real sure what's going on. It was also blowing oil out the front main. After disconnecting the breather It has stopped. So I think the breather hose must be restrictive.
PXL_20221125_204601092.MP.jpg

I figured it out. I have both mag on their own kill switch, but then Im am also using the kill on the key switch, so I have a way to take the key out. Because of that the ground back feeds to the other mag and shuts them both off.
Is there a way to set this up like like I have it, but still have the ability to shut individual mags off? A diode maybe?

I figured it out. I have both mag on their own kill switch, but then Im am also using the kill on the key switch, so I have a way to take the key out. Because of that the ground back feeds to the other mag and shuts them both off.
Is there a way to set this up like like I have it, but still have the ability to shut individual mags off? A diode maybe?
Yes, one SPDT ON/ON switch for each mag (note that they have ON/OFF/ON and ON/ON SPDT switches, you want the ON/ON version), it will have three contacts:
url.gif

Source: SPDT Toggle Switch
#1 goes to ground.
#2 goes to the mag
#3 goes to the kill on the keyswitch

Then when you shut the mag off (by connecting 1 and 2) it disconnects the mag from the key switch.

Edit, this one should work: https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-GSW-12-Heavy-Duty-Electrical/dp/B000HEFE78/

Aaron Z

Last edited:
It now has 120 psi in all 4.
it's only running on one mag. When I shut them off individually one stalls the engine one does nothing. They are sparking correctly with a timing light when I do that. It's the impulse mag that's weak. I'm going to check the points, and replace the junk champions with ngk. What else can I check?

It now has 120 psi in all 4.
it's only running on one mag. When I shut them off individually one stalls the engine one does nothing. They are sparking correctly with a timing light when I do that. It's the impulse mag that's weak. I'm going to check the points, and replace the junk champions with ngk. What else can I check?
Do you have an inline spark tester?
63590_I.jpg

Aaron Z

Found my weak mag. All 4 wires are arcing over. How can I stop that? Both mags were redone recently, with new plug wires. It's just my impulse mag that's doing this. The point also has a bigger spark then the other one.
PXL_20221126_224832778_exported_10062~2.jpg

Found my weak mag. All 4 wires are arcing over. How can I stop that? Both mags were redone recently, with new plug wires. It's just my impulse mag that's doing this. The point also has a bigger spark then the other one.
PXL_20221126_224832778_exported_10062~2.jpg
I would probably start by removing that black bakelite (or whatever) cap and see if there's any cracks in it.

Aaron Z

Figured it out
Water... I washed the oil off the engine yesterday. I pulled the wires apart for like the 5th time today and it was wet. Dried it and it's now running perfect. I'm not a fan of how these wire attach.
I had some that weren't in correct the first time, plus they were wet, so that was my problem today I hope.

Last edited:
Figured it out
Water... I washed the oil off the engine yesterday. I pulled the wires apart for like the 5th time today and it was wet. Dried it and it's now running perfect. I'm not a fan of how these wire attach.
I had some that weren't in correct the first time, plus they were wet, so that was my problem today I hope.
That would do it, I could see that being a problem in something that is intended to be on the water...
Perhaps a plug to seal up between the wire and where they go in is in order?

Aaron Z

First time driving a airboat. Definitely a pretty steep learning curve. It's crazy how it handles in shallow water vs deep. This this so so much fun. Definitely worth the money. Needs more power though, I want to build one with a turbo 300

Looks like I cracked some of the cage. Im planning of taking it somewhere this weekend. I have some welding I want to do, and replace the rear main

Top Back Refresh