What's new

Anderson connectors and winches? Different colors, wire connectors, etc

Derp

Involuntary Chest Slapper
Member Number
Up until recently I had no idea there was more than one type. I have a couple friends with cradle mounted winches and now I have one myself, and would like to add cables from the battery to an anderson connector on the front of my truck, and also repurpose a set of 25' 0awg jumper cables I have to an extension cord with connectors on either end, so I can run a winch in the rear receiver of my truck to pull backwards.

From what I can tell, the red and gray connectors are the two standards for 12v high amperage, and the crimp on contacts come sized in steps for 4-2awg and 1-0awg, what I can't tell from googling and looking at what is available on amazon, is if each color goes with a certain wire size. The Warn kits all seem to use the red connectors, which appear to be rated for 175amps, and the gray connectors seem to be 350amps?

Can the 350 amp contacts used on 0awg wire be installed and used in a red connector? Would buying a premade 1awg 20' extension with the standard red connectors be fine in practical application instead of trying to make my own heavier gauge for winching?

Anderson makes different connector sizes, to pair with an amperage rating. SB50 is 50a, SB350 is 350a, etc:

1622733507737.png

Each of those connectors can come in pretty much any color.

Not sure if it's true with all, but some of the colors are keyed so that they'll only plug into color-matching connectors. Red can't plug into yellow, even in the same size, etc. Example:

1622733752947.png

A site with more reading:

GLTHFJ60 is right. They make a pile of different connectors

On the small 15/30/45 amp the colors dont matter. On the SB series color has to match. The inside contacts are the same for the ameperage rating regardless of color.

So if you have a yellow SB175 you would need a Yellow SB175 to match, but any of the SB175 connectors would mate up.

I would highly recommend at least looking here: Anderson Powerpole and SB Connectors | Powerwerx

Much easier to read than amazon and their prices are decent.

Top Back Refresh