Member Number
Loc
Texas
Anyone see anything wrong here?

PXL_20210314_223538060.jpg
PXL_20210314_223526957.jpg
PXL_20210314_223714163.jpg

Those arent reloadable :laughing:

I've got 3 boxes and damn near every single round.

I don't remember them being that way last year. This hurts more now that the ammo is so expensive.

If it’s any consolation, the empty boxes are listed for $15 on gunbroker and the bullets are worth $0.32 each.
Profit?
I’m glad you caught that and didn’t fire any. That could have been bad. Do you think someone put their own crappy reloads in those boxes?

Bad brass. Not necessarily their fault, because it most likely looked perfect when it went into the box.

I had a bad lot of Winchester 7.62x54R. Reloaded it and shot a few, tossed the mosin in the closet for a rainy day. Pulled it out 10+ years later and had the same thing. Virgin brass I reloaded myself, 1/2 of the case necks had split. I shot the survivors and all that brass went into the recycle bucket.

You could give them a try. Not like the case can really go anywhere once it's in the chamber, but you may get some gas venting. I was tempted to try it in the mosin until my buddy informed me they were $400+, not the $75 I had paid for it. Not saying it's a good idea, but it may provide us some entertainment if you live to tell the tale :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Bad brass. Not necessarily their fault, because it most likely looked perfect when it went into the box.

I had a bad lot of Winchester 7.62x54R. Reloaded it and shot a few, tossed the mosin in the closet for a rainy day. Pulled it out 10+ years later and had the same thing. Virgin brass I reloaded myself, 1/2 of the case necks had split. I shot the survivors and all that brass went into the recycle bucket.

You could give them a try. Not like the case can really go anywhere once it's in the chamber, but you may get some gas venting. I was tempted to try it in the mosin until my buddy informed me they were $400+, not the $75 I had paid for it. Not saying it's a good idea, but it may provide us some entertainment if you live to tell the tale :flipoff2:

Problem could be extraction. and if the necks are bad, what other part of the brass could let go? like the rim? its too risky to chance it.

These came from an estate, i didnt pay anything for them, so im not out anything. other than to replace the 60 rounds, its about $2 a round right now. These were manufactured back in the 60s or 70s, and i guess things like this just happen. The funny thing is theres still mid-60s LC Match 30-06 floating around out there thats 100% good to go. obviously, their brass was probably virgin and not recycled arsenal stuff.

the plan is to pull the bullets and have them to reload. if i can sell the empty boxes, that will be what ill do.

funny thing is, i had old plastic hulled Peters shotgun shells, 2 and a half boxes that were just sitting on my bench. I got almost a $100 for the lot on GB. :grinpimp: People are paying for anything these days with their stimulus checks.

The rest of the brass is most likely fine. The necks were under stress and should have been annealed. I have some not very old 45gr .223 Winchester that cracked like that. Some before firing and some after.

I am sure that I have discharged countless split necks, albeit unintentionally, with zero extraction issues (.223). Most of the time I catch them before I jam 'em into the progressive press FL resizer, but at the range after I pick them up off the ground I frequently see a couple more. I won't knowingly reload I split neck but I am sure I've shot them. YMMV...

Pretty sure those are to create AI rounds. all the cool kids do it.

i dont really want to run these through a pre-war Model 70.

good news is i found some hornady match and some federal 150s for less than $2.00 a round and that will keep me pulling the trigger for a while, so i bought 5,000 rounds.

I would do the same.
If you have one of those free guns from turkey, pheasant, deer, elk fundraising banquets, send it.

Pic of Model 70.

i gave it to a gunsmith friend to drill and tap the barrel for a front sight block. its has a replacement douglas barrel and is setup exactly as a Vietnam USMC sniper, of Carlos Hathcock fame. complete with a couple of different Unertl scope options (no, not an 8X USMC). ill get pics when i get it back. will shoot it some with my 15x Ultra Varmint and a 1" Target scope.

Top Back Refresh