What's new

Amish shed move

O are computer dumb, can someone imbed please.

Probably built it in a weekend too.

My plan this year was to take a bike ride down to Lancaster for a few days.

I see the videographer is filming from outside of a gate.

They dont like technology right ?

I have a shed built on a slab that is in the way of where my new shop is going to be. I've thought of moving it but can't figure out how. That may be the answer.

...They dont like technology right ?

I assumed it was an outsider taking video since there was a guy in brown jacket nearby.

The Amish do use cell phones for business. I think they use portable generators to power the cell phone batteries...?

Good on the Amish for having a good work ethic & strong backs-

I was waiting for one of them to fall and get trampled to death.

There had to be hundreds carrying that thing.

"No no no, I think it would be more feng shui if it was over there"

Holy Fawk, is there a story someplace? How many people are in there?

I assumed it was an outsider taking video since there was a guy in brown jacket nearby.

The Amish do use cell phones for business. I think they use portable generators to power the cell phone batteries...?

Good on the Amish for having a good work ethic & strong backs-

solar is popular.
as is gas lighting
and propane powered generators for shops.

They work fast because they don't care about safety.
or much about quality if it's for an english, mostly.

Isn't it just grid power and gasolene that is a no-no? I think they can use diesel generator and solar sparingly

On garagejournal a while back a guy had an amish crew build a shop/barn. They brought along a non-amish guy that ran the chop saw so they could get done faster but not break the rules.

The rules vary by local tribe is my understanding and it's determined by the elders.

Isn't it just grid power and gasoline that is a no-no? I think they can use diesel generator and solar sparingly

I saw the Albany, NY area Amish a long time ago & prolly was a diesel generator in usage. Horse drawn carts too.

I went to some Pennsylvania Amish community (forgot name but near Lancaster?) & saw the dudes chatting away on cells.... I guess anything for a buck in pockets?

Read above post by 87manche, he lives nearby a community in Ohio.
​​​​​
Only the Mennonites (cabinet makers & ag. farmers) live nearby & live normally "somewhat"-

the mennonites are allowed to use technology, but it must be plain. drive passed the mennonite church and it's a sea of black sedans.

the local amish furniture places all use power equipment, but a guy I know that's ex amish got kicked out for driving cars into the barn doing upholstery.
so who knows.
it's a strange little sub culture that has intentionally isolated itself with great effect.

Lots of Mennonites here too.
Nicest tractors, Nicest tractor trucks, nicest yards and lawns you'll find. They are very proud of their tools and homes and it shows. Yes, the church i drive by regularly has a sea of black, blue, or grey minivans parked out front.
The kids start working early. You will regularly see a 6-8 year old driving a brand new $700,000 combine down the highway. They don't give a shit about child labor laws.
They use all technology but besides that, live very, very humble lifestyles.
Great neighbors and the mens choir will bring tears to your eyes even if you didn't like the guy whose funeral they're singing at.

87manche said:
the mennonites are allowed to use technology, but it must be plain. drive passed the mennonite church and it's a sea of black sedans.

the local amish furniture places all use power equipment, but a guy I know that's ex amish got kicked out for driving cars into the barn doing upholstery.
so who knows.
it's a strange little sub culture that has intentionally isolated itself with great effect.

Two mennonite brothers by me drive lifted square body chevys, they were checking out 2 of mine when they stopped over.

we had amish doing work in the factory, running welders, various man lifts, and whatever power tools they needed. Different rules for different communities.

Amish groups are run by their local clergy. The community back home are allowed to use tech for their businesses to be able to compete with the english. Their homes still arent allowed to use any modern convienences.

Lots of Mennonites here too.
Nicest tractors, Nicest tractor trucks, nicest yards and lawns you'll find. They are very proud of their tools and homes and it shows. Yes, the church i drive by regularly has a sea of black, blue, or grey minivans parked out front.
The kids start working early. You will regularly see a 6-8 year old driving a brand new $700,000 combine down the highway. They don't give a shit about child labor laws.
They use all technology but besides that, live very, very humble lifestyles.
Great neighbors and the mens choir will bring tears to your eyes even if you didn't like the guy whose funeral they're singing at.

And all damn nice people to boot. We have them come do aqua for us every year. They don’t fuck around.

Shit, They can get their community to do this and I Can't even stand mine. What does that tell you.:flipoff2:

Amish groups are run by their local clergy. The community back home are allowed to use tech for their businesses to be able to compete with the english. Their homes still arent allowed to use any modern convienences.

yeah! I went to an Amish run camera store when I was visiting my Uncle in Ohio last time, seemed strange to see them around technology, but they do it just for the business, apparently.

solar is popular.
as is gas lighting
and propane powered generators for shops.

They work fast because they don't care about safety.
or much about quality if it's for an english, mostly.

Pretty accurate. Not all Amish are great craftsmen and some of them are downright dangerous. It is not uncommon for a couple people a year to die at a sawmill or get crushed in a farm or industrial type accident.

Each sect sets their own rules as decided upon by the elders. Not all Amish are the same and they don't all get along all hunky dory.

They will use gas or diesel generators and some will drive tractors but they convert them to steel wheels first.

So if its mobile do you need to pay taxes on it?

Children are also given the option to join society outside of the Amish. From what I understand, a large percentage return.

Top Back Refresh