What's new

Amazon Smile closing down

subybaja

E. Spengler
Member Number
Loc
Spenard Ak
Well, that's too bad. I guess they know better which charities to support.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 17-03-13 Update on AmazonSmile - subybaja@gmail.com - Gmail.png

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 17-02-46 AmazonSmile Charity Donation Notification - subybaja@gmail.c...png

52 orders I generated a whole $20 to blue ribbon coalition.

I don't see anything saying it's going away. Maybe they're just axing anything gun related.

52 orders I generated a whole $20 to blue ribbon coalition.

I don't see anything saying it's going away. Maybe they're just axing anything gun related.
$20 they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. More than a skull gives them, isn't it?

That's a screenshot of the email they sent me. Google it, everyone's mad at them.

Sounds like donatin got expensive during inflation times and they want to cut expenses. Washington went after them for tax money and as a business I totally understand them pulling out of the charity game. Fuck around and find out we will stop donating to your cause because you’d rather have the tax revenue.

This is Seattle wanting more money for homeless. I’m sure Amazon’s charities NEVER went to groups helping homeless. :shaking:

And then again 2 years later

Sounds like donatin got expensive during inflation times and they want to cut expenses. Washington went after them for tax money and as a business I totally understand them pulling out of the charity game. Fuck around and find out we will stop donating to your cause because you’d rather have the tax revenue.

This is Seattle wanting more money for homeless. I’m sure Amazon’s charities NEVER went to groups helping homeless. :shaking:

And then again 2 years later

Lol that tax isn’t going to work like they think. You’re gonna see an exodus of those high paying jobs. :lmao:

How stupid can these people be? The high level earners are the most mobile people in the world. When you target them they are just gonna leave. :lmao:

it doesn’t matter if the tax works as internet ded or not. Pay a tax check on every employee you have on payroll living in Seattle, and watch all those charity donations die. It probably doesn’t have much to do with off roading, guns, or local thrift shops and more to do with running a billion dollar business every state, and employee, and union, wants more money from.

Will be cancelling my prime membership this weekend over this. F em. :flipoff::flipoff:

dumb question....

What's the value in giving Amazon a tax write-off instead of keeping it for yourself?

If I'm buying something for Amazon, sure... take advantage of the donation, no matter how small... but it's not as beneficial to the donator or the organization as receiving a direct donation, IMHO.

I kind of view this like the paypal crap... get people who want to control stuff out of the middle and go direct..

They likely couldn't come up with tax breaks to make it worthwhile. Everything Amazon does is for dodging the tax man - selling shit poorly made product.

dumb question....

What's the value in giving Amazon a tax write-off instead of keeping it for yourself?

If I'm buying something for Amazon, sure... take advantage of the donation, no matter how small... but it's not as beneficial to the donator or the organization as receiving a direct donation, IMHO.

I kind of view this like the paypal crap... get people who want to control stuff out of the middle and go direct..
Technically, a person isn't donating a damn thing when they buy stuff at Amazon and then Amazon donates a percentage of the purchase to the buyer's choice. The price of items isn't going down for the buyer.

Lol that tax isn’t going to work like they think. You’re gonna see an exodus of those high paying jobs. :lmao:

How stupid can these people be? The high level earners are the most mobile people in the world. When you target them they are just gonna leave. :lmao:
If you cut my comp by 2 % in an already high tax area.... Fuck off. I'm moving.

Hell all they had to do was move out of the city and work remotely to avoid the tax. They could move a mile and beat it:homer::laughing:

The horse rescue my wife founded has been a smile recipient, it wasn't much, but it bought some groceries for the horses.

My guess is that the tax laws changed where this was not beneficial any more. Keep closing those "loopholes" motherfuckers.

Even if that isn't the reason, I never looked at this as a requirement for the company I buy shit from, it was just a nice bonus. If it no longer works for them, I'm not bitching about it.

The foundation my friend's parents started to raise funds for people living with Cystic Fibrosis used it. They're a small mom and pop organization run out of their garage that funnels every cent they get back to someone with CF for things like housing, care, etc. They didn't get much, but every little bit helped.

1674144933310.png

Amazon said Wednesday it plans to shut down its charity donation program, in the latest example of the company’s broader cost-cutting efforts.

Through the program, called AmazonSmile, the e-retailer donates a percentage of eligible purchases on the site to the shopper’s chosen charity organization. Amazon said it has donated roughly $500 million to charities since the program launched in 2013.

Amazon now plans to wind down AmazonSmile by Feb. 20, the company said in a notice to customers posted to its website.

“After almost a decade, the program has not grown to create the impact that we had originally hoped,” the company said. “With so many eligible organizations — more than 1 million globally — our ability to have an impact was often spread too thin.”

The average donation to charities was less than $230, Amazon said.

Amazon will continue to invest in areas where it can “make meaningful change,” such as assisting with natural disaster relief, affordable housing initiatives and community assistance programs, the company said.

The move to shutter AmazonSmile comes as CEO Andy Jassy has embarked on a sweeping review of the company’s expenses amid a worsening economic outlook and slowing growth in its retail division.

Amazon has commenced the largest layoffs in its history and instituted a hiring freeze across its corporate workforce. As Jassy has worked to rein in costs, the company paused warehouse expansion and shuttered some experimental projects like its telehealth service and a quirky, video calling device for kids.

— CNBC’s Lora Kolodny contributed reporting to this article.

Top Back Refresh